Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alex Dykes on why Genesis sales are temporarily delayed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 04:52 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No, I just want it recognized that he has no training or credentials etc (maybe he does but I cannot find it) Contrast that of Sofyan Bey, from Red Line Reviews, he at least has a B.A in Mass Communication and Media Studies. I do not like Redline Reviews all that much.
How do you know that he has "no training or credentials etc"? Just because he does not advertise what credentials he has, it does not mean that he has absolutely no credentials.

Some people just do not feel the need to advertise. For all you know, he may have a PhD. degree.

Before you go accusing people...
Old 11-24-18, 05:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hyundai obviously bungled its Genesis rollout. There is no doubt about that and it almost comes down to cultural differences. The Korean corporate model vs a US capitalist model at the dealership level. Did Hyundai expect its US dealers to salute and follow orders with no pushback? The big problem is that you need to collaborate with your dealers. They're the ones who sell your product.

When you tell them they can't sell your cars because of their postal code or that they need to spend a ton of money to upgrade their dealerships with only a minimal amount of help from Hyundai, it's going to cause issues. Genesis was aimed at a very limited audience in very select areas, and that really ticked off dealers who wanted to hustle sales in Podunk, Wherever. Maybe it should have been explained properly to the national dealers council about the objectives of Genesis to avoid all of this mess.
Old 11-24-18, 05:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
How do you know that he has "no training or credentials etc"? Just because he does not advertise what credentials he has, it does not mean that he has absolutely no credentials.

Some people just do not feel the need to advertise. For all you know, he may have a PhD. degree.

Before you go accusing people...
Sorry. I disagree. If Alex makes claims about something, I think it’s valid to ask about sources, nevertheless his credentials. I don’t think I accused anything. I am the only one asking about training or credentials because I think it is fair to ask. I would do the same thing with any of the you tubers. Perhaps I might a little to tough on Alex.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-24-18 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Sorry. I disagree. If Alex makes claims about something, I think it’s valid to ask about sources, nevertheless his credentials. I don’t think I accused anything. I am the only one asking about training or credentials because I think it is fair to ask. I would do the same thing with any of the you tubers. Perhaps I might a little to tough on Alex.
And your question about sources was answered by multiple articles and conversations with people who back up what he said....

If you're going to say you're moving on...then move on...
Old 11-25-18, 08:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And your question about sources was answered by multiple articles and conversations with people who back up what he said....

If you're going to say you're moving on...then move on...
I actually responded after that fact as people keep quoting me. It’s the respectful thing to do.

The You Tube platform can be a very dangerous service if people are not aware of how data analytics works on you. It is nice that these reviewers are enthusiasts and such, I enjoy many of the videos that are on there, however one should still be curious and question what they watch or read.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-25-18 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-25-18, 03:05 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mmarshall it's not a completely stand-alone Lincoln dealer, It shares lot space with the Acura dealer. But the buildings are separate and it is not affiliated with any Ford dealer.

Its the same dealer group that's building the new Alfa/Maserati dealer, however once that's complete they are completely landlocked. Also, Lexus is across the street(different owner). So if they were to add Genesis to their portfolio they would have to find additional real estate somewhere else.
Old 11-25-18, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
mmarshall it's not a completely stand-alone Lincoln dealer, It shares lot space with the Acura dealer. But the buildings are separate and it is not affiliated with any Ford dealer.
Interesting. Virtually all the Lincoln shops in my area (and in many other places in the U.S.) split their showrooms and repair facilities with Ford.

Its the same dealer group that's building the new Alfa/Maserati dealer, however once that's complete they are completely landlocked. Also, Lexus is across the street(different owner). So if they were to add Genesis to their portfolio they would have to find additional real estate somewhere else.
If Alfa and Maserati are forced out of the U.S. market in a couple of years from low sales (like Alfa was, previously, in 1994), the Genesis franchise might (?) be able to take over that new building. I guess we'll see.
Old 01-03-19, 03:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

well, now we're in the new year and hyundai/genesis is getting their dedicate dealers figured out in florida finally - i just checked and i have 5 dealers not too far away. my 'local' hyundai dealer, where i got my genesis, wasn't listed so i'll have to find out how that will work regarding service, but i assume they'll continue with the concierge service so i don't care (meaning i don't have to visit the dealer).
Old 01-03-19, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well, now we're in the new year and hyundai/genesis is getting their dedicate dealers figured out in florida finally - i just checked and i have 5 dealers not too far away. my 'local' hyundai dealer, where i got my genesis, wasn't listed so i'll have to find out how that will work regarding service, but i assume they'll continue with the concierge service so i don't care (meaning i don't have to visit the dealer).

Do they come and do the oil changes in the driveway? Or just pick up the car, take it to the dealer, and bring it back? I imagine the labor itself probably isn't a big deal (On smaller vehicles, I've done oil changes myself at home). But used oil, by law, has to be disposed of only in certain places. I used to put it in the trunk, in a container, drive it down a half mile to the local service station, and pour it in the proper tank.
Old 01-03-19, 04:55 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

When we were looking at the Santa Fe last week, I noticed our local dealer had 4 G70's on hand. A few weeks ago there was no mention of them being a Genesis dealer, which they are now. The sad thing is, the negotiation process we went through and finally had to walk away from, has put them on a "never step foot in again" dealer list with us. I really like their vehicles and when it's time to replace my ES, I will be shopping elsewhere.
Old 01-03-19, 05:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
When we were looking at the Santa Fe last week, I noticed our local dealer had 4 G70's on hand. A few weeks ago there was no mention of them being a Genesis dealer, which they are now. The sad thing is, the negotiation process we went through and finally had to walk away from, has put them on a "never step foot in again" dealer list with us. I really like their vehicles and when it's time to replace my ES, I will be shopping elsewhere.
It will be very difficult for Genesis to succeed going forward IMO in a very significant way. The brand has been on the market now for quite a while and it's clear the US car market is contracting. With that said, no SUVs is a mistake as Genesis needed to get off the ground with a stronger foundation
Old 01-03-19, 05:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
On a similar note, yesterday while running some errands I drove through a large Hyundai dealership near me that is listed as Genesis store too. They had just one car, a white G80, that I could see. The Genesis web site shows 14 Genesis dealerships in the metro Chicago area (that seems like a lot IMO). It seems like they are not really up and running around here yet.
Old 01-03-19, 07:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do they come and do the oil changes in the driveway? Or just pick up the car, take it to the dealer, and bring it back?
not sure if serious. the former would be ludicrous with huge liability and issues and look extremely unprofessional. so it's the latter.
Old 01-03-19, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

not sure if serious. the former would be ludicrous with huge liability and issues and look extremely unprofessional. so it's the latter.

Again, wth all due respect, I don't see why you would say it's not a serious question. Many people who work on vehicles, such as glass/window replacement, dent-removal services, mobile vehicle-detailers, etc....come and do it at your home or office. Many people simply want convenience nowadays. My brother, in fact, used one of those mobile-detail services, and was very happy with it, though, I, of course, help him do some things myself.
Old 01-03-19, 07:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Again, wth all due respect, I don't see why you would say it's not a serious question. Many people who work on vehicles, such as glass/window replacement, dent-removal services, mobile vehicle-detailers, etc....come and do it at your home or office. Many people simply want convenience nowadays. My brother, in fact, used one of those mobile-detail services, and was very happy with it, though, I, of course, help him do some things myself.
Yeah, you can’t be serious. A very non luxury experience. I am sure the Genesis models are taken and serviced at a local Hyundai dealer if there is not Genesis dealer close by, it’s all paid for by Genesis corporate at the end of the day anyway.

Quick Reply: Alex Dykes on why Genesis sales are temporarily delayed.