Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alex Dykes on why Genesis sales are temporarily delayed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-18, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Alex Dykes on why Genesis sales are temporarily delayed.

Good old Alex. Once again, he gives us useful information, and explains why some of us (me included) were wrong in previous assumptions. The big problem at Genesis, according to him, is not the lack of crossovers, as the 2017 and 2018 sedans have actually sold better than what we thought. But the problem with the lack of the new 2019 ones is that Hyundai was forced, partly by dealers and partly by the loss of a lawsuit in Louisiana, to restructure both how its dealerships and franchise structures would work......Alex explains the details in the video. Soon, we should start seeing the 2019s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-22-18, 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I would like to know where this guy got his information or data. Hyundai certainly dropped the ball if they did not produce and ship enough units to the US. This is not acceptable for a major company like Hyundai to make this error.
Old 11-22-18, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would like to know where this guy got his information or data.

Unlike most of us in Car Chat, Alex is technically a member of the auto press, and often has access to data that we don't, except for what we read. The only poster in Car Chat I know of that has access to a lot of technical information like that, from the industry in general, is Carmaker1, though some on the CL staff may get inside Lexus info before the rest of us do. I used to be one of three CL Editors (before they abolished the title)...but that was little more than just a moniker for someone who wrote car-related articles in the forum. We did not have any inside info on matters like this.
Old 11-22-18, 07:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So there was no Press release by Hyundai. Just speculation.
Old 11-22-18, 07:25 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I would like to know where this guy got his information or data. Hyundai certainly dropped the ball if they did not produce and ship enough units to the US. This is not acceptable for a major company like Hyundai to make this error.
According to the GM at the local Hyundai dealer, Alex got it right. Hyundai did indeed drop the ball, but it was Hyundai USA, not the factory. In separating Hyundai and Genesis dealers, they decided that only Genesis stand alone dealers would receive 2019 models. When the existing Hyundai/Genesis dealers sell out of 2018 models they are done. Unfortunately, there are very few stand alone Genesis dealers so very few 2019 models are being sold in the US. The local dealer is out of 2018 models so they are out of the Genesis business. There is apparently going to be a stand alone Genesis dealer "soon". What a massive screw-up by Hyundai USA.
Old 11-22-18, 07:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
According to the GM at the local Hyundai dealer, Alex got it right. Hyundai did indeed drop the ball, but it was Hyundai USA, not the factory. In separating Hyundai and Genesis dealers, they decided that only Genesis stand alone dealers would receive 2019 models. When the existing Hyundai/Genesis dealers sell out of 2018 models they are done. Unfortunately, there are very few stand alone Genesis dealers so very few 2019 models are being sold in the US. The local dealer is out of 2018 models so they are out of the Genesis business. There is apparently going to be a stand alone Genesis dealer "soon". What a massive screw-up by Hyundai USA.
According to the GM of a Hyundai dealer? Is that really credible?
Old 11-22-18, 07:31 PM
oldcajun
Racer

According to the GM of a Hyundai dealer? Is that really credible?
Since he no longer can sell Genesis and his story pretty much parallels what Alex said I have no reason to believe that it is not credible. Genesis in Canada is apparently not affected so they are busy selling 2019 models like the G70.
Old 11-22-18, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Part of the problem was the franchise-laws in the State of Louisiana that really got the ball rolling for the lawsuit. When the court found for the dealers (as opposed to Hyundai itself), that was a major factor in messing up Hyundai's plans.
Old 11-22-18, 07:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Since he no longer can sell Genesis and his story pretty much parallels what Alex said I have no reason to believe that it is not credible. Genesis in Canada is apparently not affected so they are busy selling 2019 models like the G70.
So would a legit publication like the business section of Wall Street Journal, would they use a GM of a dealer as source? I am not trying to be argumentative at all, so please don’t look at it that way. Does it pass a credibility test. I don’t know. Does Genesis in other countries show the same declines as those in the USA? Or are they growing in units sold which would refute the numbers in the USA?

Here is a link discussing the topic. A spokesman for Genesis provided some information. Generally speaking, in any financial earnings call, Hyundai would try to give guidance as to why sales are down for the Genesis brand if it were indeed dealers/supply issues.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/22605/h...-in-transition

I am quite certain Genesis would be showing growth if they had themselves a mid size cross over.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-22-18 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-22-18, 08:57 PM
oldcajun
Racer

So would a legit publication like the business section of Wall Street Journal, would they use a GM of a dealer as source? I am not trying to be argumentative at all, so please don’t look at it that way. Does it pass a credibility test. I don’t know. Does Genesis in other countries show the same declines as those in the USA? Or are they growing in units sold which would refute the numbers in the USA?

Here is a link discussing the topic. A spokesman for Genesis provided some information. Generally speaking, in any financial earnings call, Hyundai would try to give guidance as to why sales are down for the Genesis brand if it were indeed dealers/supply issues.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/22605/h...-in-transition

I am quite certain Genesis would be showing growth if they had themselves a mid size cross over.
Jill,
The article you referenced says the same thing about slow Genesis sales as Alex covered. The transition to stand alone dealerships which are the only ones that can sell 2019 models is slow. The existing Hyundai/Genesis dealers can only sell cars through 2018 model year and that allocation was reduced by Hyundai USA. Having an SUV or crossover would not help if there are no dealers allowed to sell them.
Old 11-22-18, 09:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Hyundai certainly dropped the ball if they did not produce and ship enough units to the US. This is not acceptable for a major company like Hyundai to make this error.
But that's not what happened. Dealers would be selling '19s by now and thus would not have run out but hyundai initially wanted to limit the number if hyundai dealers selling genesis but laws say you can't pick which hyundai dealers can sell genesis as they're still under the hyundai agreement so hyundai pulled '19s from ALL hyundai dealers and will start over with a separate genesis dealer franchise and channel, avoiding the above issue. It shouldn't be hard for you to understand even though every post we see from you about hyundai, kia, genesis paints their imminent demise or general failure...

this too shall pass, genesis will have its own dealer network and be selling again. The g70, refreshed g90 for '20 an suv or 3, and likely a new g80 should paint a bright future for those dealers.

So there was no Press release by Hyundai. Just speculation.

there's no great way to spin this in a press release and i think hyundai/genesis is just getting on with getting the new channel up and running, i'd expect a press release then.

as for alex' sources and credibility, he has an excellent track record and this article lays out the exact same with some other details such as them already being ready to go in 49 states.
If they had dealers legally certified to sell '19s sure, but they're doing all that now.
Old 11-23-18, 04:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Yeah, no impact to Canada - different business model - no Genesis dealers from the start with the exception of the odd stand-up mall space in key cities across Canada much like Tesla. The entire process is done online and it's working - coordination of the test drive, purchasing, servicing your car etc. They come to you to fulfill these services at your convenience.

Friend of mine recently bought the G70 3.3T HTRAC and was impressed with the entire seamless experience, and he's owned past luxury cars.
Old 11-23-18, 04:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Jill,
The article you referenced says the same thing about slow Genesis sales as Alex covered. The transition to stand alone dealerships which are the only ones that can sell 2019 models is slow. The existing Hyundai/Genesis dealers can only sell cars through 2018 model year and that allocation was reduced by Hyundai USA. Having an SUV or crossover would not help if there are no dealers allowed to sell them.
Absolutely. I was just asking the questions earlier. Alex has done nothing but take an existing story and put up some video, that article with a proper referenced source was written in Aug. Alex is just fluff imo. At the end of the day, Genesis sales are not exactly showing growth, it’s the opposite of that for Genesis, Hyundai and Kia, they are on a decline. People can use any excuse they want, the dealers are not ready for Genesis, the fleet sales were removed from Hyundai, not enough SUVs for Hyundai, no suvs at all for Genesis. I wonder how the stock price is doing? Genesis has nice cars, I walk by all four models every time I go to Sqaure One shopping centre. It is absolutely crystal clear, Genesis needs an SUV and then some more suvs in order to succeed.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-23-18 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-23-18, 04:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yeah, no impact to Canada - different business model - no Genesis dealers from the start with the exception of the odd stand-up mall space in key cities across Canada much like Tesla. The entire process is done online and it's working - coordination of the test drive, purchasing, servicing your car etc. They come to you to fulfill these services at your convenience.

Friend of mine recently bought the G70 3.3T HTRAC and was impressed with the entire seamless experience, and he's owned past luxury cars.
Genesis went from 500 units sold on 2017 to 1000 so far in 2018, total sales for any makes were 2 million cars in 2017. We shall see how well they do. The Geneis locations are operating by marketing companies from what I understand to just build brand awareness via the shopping malls. There are no discounts at all as they are only sold at MSRP from the what the rep told us at Square One.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-23-18 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-23-18, 04:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/busines...120-story.html

Here is another source on the matter.

Quick Reply: Alex Dykes on why Genesis sales are temporarily delayed.