Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alex Dykes on why Genesis sales are temporarily delayed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 08:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't speak for everyone, but, as far as I'm concerned (and I've looked at a lot of new Kia, Hyundai, and Genesis products) the public itself is missing the boat on this one. These products definitely give you what you pay for, and, in an a number of cases, more. There an old saying that the customer is always right, but not when the customer willingly refuses to open his or her eyes.
If what you say is correct, then why are the sales declining and the profits shedding?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-24-18 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-24-18, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If what you say is correct, then why are the sales declining and the profits shedding?
Most of the answer is self explanatory....and relatively simple. As I said above, many people, like my brother, who don't need a new vehicle right now are driving Hyundais and Kias from past purchases..they were generally well-made and lasting a long time now, so they aren't crapping out in just a couple of years. (these people helped run up the recent big increase in sales of Korean products). But there are still many who refuse to even go to a Hyundai or Kia showroom because their minds are still twenty years in the past. It's those who still refuse to go look that are dragging things down...talking to them is like talking to a wall.

True, Genesis still doesn't have an SUV officially for sale yet...that is also dragging things down some, though Alex, in the video, did a good job of explaining that even offering an SUV would not guarantee that Genesis actually has enough places to sell it. And you will probably ask....."Marshall, if they are so good, why didn't you buy one (or a Kia Cadenza) instead of a Lacrosse?". Well, I still felt that, for my standards, the Lacrosse was the most comfortable car for the money, and I knew the people who would be servicing it well. The G80 AWD was indeed my second choice (I'm not going to put two cars in my parking space LOL), and was definitely more solid and better-built (IMO it is the best-built car in its class) though it cost about 10K more than my Lacrosse did as I ordered it. But, as I told bitkahuna, if GM drops the Lacrosse, I'd buy a G80 in a heartbeat, money or not, particularly if Ford also drops the MKZ, which I also like, though I am not impressed with its build quality.

Last, Alex also explained the obvious......you can't sell 2019s if they aren't even on the lots yet. Their marketing is being done by a completely different outlet this year, and the loss in the Louisiana lawsuit made things even more difficult for Hyundai.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-18 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-24-18, 09:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
They literally have 6 years of declining profits. That is horrible and I dont think there is another manufacturer that is doing that bad right now in the world. Just google hyundai profits. This is at time when Toyota has largest profits in the company history.
IMO, I think Hyundai's three brand approach in the US is their biggest obstacle. Toyota dumped Scion when they realized the brand was a flop. Seems like KIA is a burden for them as they don't own all of KIA.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Decline of Genesis sales happened long before last month when 2019 were supposed to arrive, yes it is due to them limiting it to much smaller number of dealers but again that is in the quest of future sustainability and growth...

There comes a point where a brand may never get off the ground.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-24-18 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-24-18, 09:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, I think Hyundai's three brand approach in the US is their biggest obstacle. Toyota dumped Scion when they realized the brand was a flop. Seems like KIA is a burden for them as they don't own all of KIA.
One problem with Scions is that, mechanically, they were mostly just rebadged small Toyotas that you bought without the traditional price-dickering. Some people liked the no-dicker policy, as it makes the deals simple and hassle-free, but others (sometimes falsely) thought they were not getting as good a deal. With Genesis, though, true, the existing G80 is quite similar to the old 2Gen Hyundai Genesis, but the G90 and G70 are clearly different products from Hyundai or Kia. True, the G70 shares some components with the Stinger, but it is clearly a far more upscale product.
Old 11-24-18, 10:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
So you want this amateur Youtuber to be held to the same standards as legacy print media? Do you have the qualifications in journalism and training or experience in this field to determine what the benchmark is? And please don't cue the usual, "oh now it's personal" defense, thank you very much, lol.
Why would you need to have qualifications in journalism or experience to know what the benchmark is? The benchmark is some sort of credential. Journalism is a profession, we rely on those in journalism to provide us a service, we expect a level of certification to back that. Accountants, dentists, engineer, human resources, real estate agents, doctors or people in public relations usually have some sort of qualification. No different than a professional journalist.

Below is Alex on Autos bio from Facebook:

"
Alex L. Dykes hails from the left coast where he combines his love of Silicon Valley technology with his used Volvo and Jaguar habit on a 9-acre organic farm. Alex’s car history includes automotive “gems” like a Ford Aerostar, Eagle Vision, Chrysler LHS, several Volvo and Jaguar models, a 1929 Model A, Saab 9-7x Aero, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a GMC Envoy that he insists he married into. When he’s not writing about cars, or fixing his friend’s cars he’s shopping for the perfect X350 Jag. Religious affiliations aside, Alex has a strange and unhealthy relationship with Lucas Prince of Darkness which likely accounts for his relentless pursuit of the perfect used Super V8 in British racing green. (PS. If you know of a Super V8 Portfolio for sale, drop me a line.)

If you've ever wondered what a car guy drives, Alex has an unlikely group of vehicles in the driveway. There is a 2006 Jaguar Super V8 (in British racing green of course), a 2009 Saab 9-7x Aero (the Saab version of the Trailblazer SS) which is most known for the 6.0L LS2 V8 engine that's about three times the size of the average Saab engine and a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited that will have its top cut off at some point in 2014. Or maybe 2015."

Jeremy Clarkson can be IMHO considered to be the low point of automotive... ahem... cough, cough "journalism". That took a lot to cough that up
Clarkson is an entertainer.

So you want this amateur Youtuber to be held to the same standards as legacy print media?.
No, I just want it recognized that he has no training or credentials etc (maybe he does but I cannot find it) Contrast that of Sofyan Bey, from Red Line Reviews, he at least has a B.A in Mass Communication and Media Studies. I do not like Redline Reviews all that much.

legacy print media?.
Interesting upon more research by some members on here, we have more evidence that the issues going on by Genesis maybe much deeper than the un-sourced video by Alex on Autos.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-24-18 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-24-18, 12:25 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I think Alex did a wonderful job explaining the Genesis debacle. I don't know why some people here have a problem with him....
But anyway back to Genesis. I think Hyundai has made the biggest mess out of this. There were 2 Hyundai dealers in my area that could sell the Genesis models and just this week I was going to go to one of them to look at the new wonderful G70 and G90. Only to find out they don't have any. Only a few leftover 2018 G80s. The closest Genesis dealer to me is 150 miles away. This is very confusing for customers and it is costing them sales. I can't find any plans for new G dealers in Memphis so I wonder how long we'll be without one
I am just happy that we finally have a Lincoln dealer again in Memphis, after several years of absence. And we're also getting an Alfa Romeo and Maserati dealer. (Hooray!)
Old 11-24-18, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Well, I think Alex did a wonderful job explaining the Genesis debacle. I don't know why some people here have a problem with him....
Because he doesn't entertain. Vehicles are always Topic A with him. Some people are looking for entertainers.

But anyway back to Genesis. I think Hyundai has made the biggest mess out of this. There were 2 Hyundai dealers in my area that could sell the Genesis models and just this week I was going to go to one of them to look at the new wonderful G70 and G90. Only to find out they don't have any. Only a few leftover 2018 G80s. The closest Genesis dealer to me is 150 miles away. This is very confusing for customers and it is costing them sales. I can't find any plans for new G dealers in Memphis so I wonder how long we'll be without one
We don't have any 2019 Genesis models yet here in the D.C. area, either...and this area (arguably) sells more new vehicles than any place else in the country except Southern California. So, we're waiting....just like you are.

I am just happy that we finally have a Lincoln dealer again in Memphis, after several years of absence. And we're also getting an Alfa Romeo and Maserati dealer. (Hooray!)
Is the Lincoln shop stand-alone, or is it a dual Ford/Lincoln like most of them?

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-18 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 02:30 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 447 Posts

No, I just want it recognized that he has no training or credentials etc (maybe he does but I cannot find it) Contrast that of Sofyan Bey, from Red Line Reviews, he at least has a B.A in Mass Communication and Media Studies. I do not like Redline Reviews all that much.
Alex Dykes spent the best part of ten years as an Editor at Large at The Truth About Cars before founding Alex on Autos.

He has more than enough training and experience to do what he does.
Old 11-24-18, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
Alex Dykes spent the best part of ten years as an Editor at Large at The Truth About Cars before founding Alex on Autos.

Thanks. Where did you find that?

Originally Posted by swajames
I have not be able to find what his formal training was?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-24-18 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 03:39 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you need to have qualifications in journalism or experience to know what the benchmark is? The benchmark is some sort of credential. Journalism is a profession, we rely on those in journalism to provide us a service, we expect a level of certification to back that. Accountants, dentists, engineer, human resources, real estate agents, doctors or people in public relations usually have some sort of qualification. No different than a professional journalist.
Accountants, dentists, engineers? Really? We're doing brain surgery here or is it just a guy with 250K subscribers offering his analysis on his youtube channel. Perhaps you do not understand what Youtube is about or what Alex does, but this is like talking to a brick wall. So once again. Alex on Autos does reviews for his subscribers, not for your credential seeking standards. You criticize him on your standard but you yourself have not said if you have journalism training, so how do you know what the standard is? btw, I do have a journalistic background and a degree as well. But I sure don't hold Alex to my standard.

Clarkson is an entertainer.
And someone whose time has come and gone. There were people predicting the imminent demise of TG when the trio left, yet it's that show which is still around while the Clarkson hoopla has faded.

Maybe you should start an institute that regulates youtube reviewers and anyone who doesn't measure up to these high standards never gets to start a channel. And you didn't do your research as another poster has already informed you about what Alex's background is, mainly cars and all things car related. Not good enough for you?

Interesting upon more research by some members on here, we have more evidence that the issues going on by Genesis maybe much deeper than the un-sourced video by Alex on Autos.
Sure. It's the end of the world for Hyundai, Kia and Genesis.
Old 11-24-18, 03:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Accountants, dentists, engineers? Really? We're doing brain surgery here or is it just a guy with 250K subscribers offering his analysis on his youtube channel. Perhaps you do not understand what Youtube is about or what Alex does, but this is like talking to a brick wall. So once again. Alex on Autos does reviews for his subscribers, not for your credential seeking standards. You criticize him on your standard but you yourself have not said if you have journalism training, so how do you know what the standard is? btw, I do have a journalistic background and a degree as well. But I sure don't hold Alex to my standard.

And someone whose time has come and gone. There were people predicting the imminent demise of TG when the trio left, yet it's that show which is still around while the Clarkson hoopla has faded.

Maybe you should start an institute that regulates youtube reviewers and anyone who doesn't measure up to these high standards never gets to start a channel. And you didn't do your research as another poster has already informed you about what Alex's background is, mainly cars and all things car related. Not good enough for you?

Maybe all CL members should present their credentials before posting lol.
Old 11-24-18, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most of the answer is self explanatory....and relatively simple. As I said above, many people, like my brother, who don't need a new vehicle right now are driving Hyundais and Kias from past purchases..they were generally well-made and lasting a long time now, so they aren't crapping out in just a couple of years. (these people helped run up the recent big increase in sales of Korean products). But there are still many who refuse to even go to a Hyundai or Kia showroom because their minds are still twenty years in the past. It's those who still refuse to go look that are dragging things down...talking to them is like talking to a wall.
personal anecdotes aside, I think reshuffled their managment last year due to decline in quality that is widely reported now (google news: hyundai quality). So quality issues are real, and it is one of the main reasons they are suffering now. Another is that they are building a better cars but are unable to sell them at higher prices. You bet Genesis has to do a lot with their profit declines.

And again, it needs to be repeated, this is not subjective, Hyundai has had 6 consecutive years of declining profits.

Compare Q3 Toyota vs Hyundai - November 2018 reports.

Quarterly net profit slid to 269 billion won ($236 million), the lowest amount in more than seven years and well below a SmartEstimate of 831 billion won, according to Refinitiv data.
Japan’s Toyota Motor Corp on Tuesday said its net profits rose to JPY 585 billion ($5.16 billion) during the second quarter of 2018, compared to JPY 458 billion($4.04 billion) in Q2-17.
Old 11-24-18, 04:14 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Why would someone with a BA in mass communications be qualified to evaluate automobiles? I give up! I will no longer post on any of your inputs and will no longer read any of your responses.
Old 11-24-18, 04:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have not be able to find what his formal training was?
Auto Review 101 is not a course that is taught in colleges. Nor it it given out in academic degrees. Nor it is even taught in journalism per se. And you usually also have to have a passion for it.....it is not like sitting down and simply reading a newspaper. One either knows how to describe, in detail, what a vehicle is like, or they don't, although, of course, some lessons in basic communication, punctuation, grammatical structure, and other language-issues can help. Those are mostly things that are taught in basic and advanced English/grammar classes that most school kids take sooner or later. No reviewer is perfect, though....I find, for example, in my own reviews, that I have a tendency, sometimes, to engage in long, run-on sentences....that is one of my own weaknesses. Alex is superb as an all-around reviewer, but his voice can get droning and monotonous. Jeremy Clarkson knows how cars relate to people, but sometimes forgets that he is reviewing those cars, and ends up acting like a clown. Doug DeMuro is basically a good reviewer, but makes faces and talks in a dramatic fashion. Every one has his good and bad points.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-18 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 04:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Why would someone with a BA in mass communications be qualified to evaluate automobiles? I give up! I will no longer post on any of your inputs and will no longer read any of your responses.

Thanks for the responses. Completely valid opinions to both. I shall move on.

Quick Reply: Alex Dykes on why Genesis sales are temporarily delayed.