Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Mazda CX-5 debuts with turbocharged engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-18, 09:04 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to puke everytime i see a mazda
Old 11-17-18, 10:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

These sell extremely well here in northern L.A. suburbs. One dealer takes care of an entire valley. Personally would never consider one though. Front overhang is ludicrous and the dash has some dated shapes.
Old 11-18-18, 08:33 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I fail to understand how adding a turbocharger to a mediocre (i.e. ordinary, merely average) engine and crossover will suddenly make it the best in class. If the CX-5 is not selling, when other Japanese automaker compact crossovers such as the CR-V, RAV4 and Rogue are selling so well, there must be something wrong with it.

This seems to be a prime example of "Turbo Everything" as one of the worst car trends in modern cars and trucks.
Old 11-18-18, 08:51 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it has nothing to do with respect... pricing vs space vs comfort vs other things that average customer wants/needs.

I would always buy CX-5 over Rav4 or CRV... but obviously not an majority of the market, and also new Rav4 while still nowhere as pretty as CX-5, is still stylish and nice inside a has a ton of space.
I personally think the CX-5 is packaged and priced well again I don't see as much of them around here most don't seem to even consider them an option hence my respect comment. Looks are subjective some like the simple look of the CX-5 while some like the busy look of the CR-V.

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Combine that with a smaller dealer network and the lower sales make a little more sense. It's tough to shake a reputation like that, but hopefully Mazda's partnership with Toyota will result in a successful hybrid offering.

Very happy with my CX-9 so far.
I've only seen a few CX-9's around and you're right I can only think of where 1 Mazda dealership is near me.

Originally Posted by Sulu
I fail to understand how adding a turbocharger to a mediocre (i.e. ordinary, merely average) engine and crossover will suddenly make it the best in class. If the CX-5 is not selling, when other Japanese automaker compact crossovers such as the CR-V, RAV4 and Rogue are selling so well, there must be something wrong with it.

This seems to be a prime example of "Turbo Everything" as one of the worst car trends in modern cars and trucks.
Only the high end model (Grand Touring Reserve) is boosted. The other trims aren't. I have no problem with boost the only issue I see is those owners who neglect maintenance especially oil changes will shorten the life of the engine.
Old 11-18-18, 10:04 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Only the high end model (Grand Touring Reserve) is boosted. The other trims aren't. I have no problem with boost the only issue I see is those owners who neglect maintenance especially oil changes will shorten the life of the engine.
The Signature is now the high end version. It will also have the turbo.
Old 11-18-18, 12:00 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
I personally think the CX-5 is packaged and priced well again I don't see as much of them around here most don't seem to even consider them an option hence my respect comment. Looks are subjective some like the simple look of the CX-5 while some like the busy look of the CR-V.
I agree, the CX-5 provides a lot of value for the price up to the GT trim. Prices start to get a little outlandish when you step into the GT Reserve and Signature trims, but I'd buy a GT over anything with oil dilution issues or a CVT. Toyota's Dynamic Force sounds interesting but new tech is new tech, and I'd have to see it in action for a year or two before buying into it.

The Skyactiv-G engine has proven it's reliability in a few different Mazdas, and the 2.5T is just the Skyactiv-G with a turbo. It's been offered on every trim on the 2016+ CX-9, and there have been no issues with it, or with the 2018 6. Integrating it into the CX-5 should be a cakewalk.

On top of that, the CX-5 has always outperformed the competition when it comes to handling, but the majority of SUV, CUV, and crossover drivers aren't interested in handling. Most likely prefer a softer, cushy ride. Yet another reason why Mazda isn't as popular, their offerings usually tend to appeal to the driving enthusiast instead of the typical commuter.
Old 11-18-18, 02:09 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mazda has always done their own thing when you compare them to Toyota and Honda. They've never been a mass market seller and they've always appealed to sporty drivers. CX-5 has simple clean lines and a pinned down front end. If you want an overstyled, busy looking appliance you go buy the CRV or the RAV4. Turbo option is a great development on the CX.
Old 11-18-18, 03:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Its already best in class. Its not the best SELLING, but I've driven them all as my cousin just bought in this segment and I helped him, the CX-5 is what *I* would buy, for sure. Mazdas are never going to sell as well as a comparable Honda or Toyota, Mazda doesn't need them to.

Adding a turbocharger will make a huge difference. It will be more responsive with more low end torque. NA 4 cyl engines struggle, the turbo will do away with the struggling.

Turbo everything is here to stay. Its a fuel saving measure, turbo 4 instead of a V6.
Old 11-18-18, 06:39 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its already best in class. Its not the best SELLING, but I've driven them all as my cousin just bought in this segment and I helped him, the CX-5 is what *I* would buy, for sure. Mazdas are never going to sell as well as a comparable Honda or Toyota, Mazda doesn't need them to.

Adding a turbocharger will make a huge difference. It will be more responsive with more low end torque. NA 4 cyl engines struggle, the turbo will do away with the struggling.

Turbo everything is here to stay. Its a fuel saving measure, turbo 4 instead of a V6.
So many people have said "It is the SUV I would buy", but you did not buy it, neither did the other person nor that other person. So what is the point if so many people say they would buy it but so few people actually do buy it?

And I must disagree with you that "Mazda doesn't need them to". Mazda does indeed need them to. Mass market consumer products, including cars and including the Mazda CX-5, are made to be sold; and if they are not sold, it holds back the manufacturer. It has prevented Mazda from building more and better product due to a lack of funds. Those missing better products are holding Mazda back from becoming a better and more sought-after automaker. And it is known that Mazda is in trouble.

Finally, I believe that turbocharging is a cheap, quick and easy way to add power; it is so technologically easy and so easy to game the fuel efficiency measurement systems that I believe some automakers are not putting enough effort into developing more efficient drivetrains, including super-efficient internal combustion engines.
Old 11-18-18, 07:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

So many people have said "It is the SUV I would buy", but you did not buy it, neither did the other person nor that other person. So what is the point if so many people say they would buy it but so few people actually do buy it?.
I kinda agree. Lots of people say that would buy something, but sales don’t back it up. Mazda products have an unlimited warranty in Canada, they still can’t sell it.
Old 11-18-18, 07:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
I want to puke everytime i see a mazda
Look away or close your eyes and you'll be ok.
Old 11-18-18, 07:31 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

So many people have said "It is the SUV I would buy", but you did not buy it, neither did the other person nor that other person. So what is the point if so many people say they would buy it but so few people actually do buy it?

And I must disagree with you that "Mazda doesn't need them to". Mazda does indeed need them to. Mass market consumer products, including cars and including the Mazda CX-5, are made to be sold; and if they are not sold, it holds back the manufacturer. It has prevented Mazda from building more and better product due to a lack of funds. Those missing better products are holding Mazda back from becoming a better and more sought-after automaker. And it is known that Mazda is in trouble.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I kinda agree. Lots of people say that would buy something, but sales don’t back it up. Mazda products have an unlimited warranty in Canada, they still can’t sell it.
i think you're both beating a dead horse. Mazda doesn't sell as much for many reasons that have already been brought to light (Ford component issues, small dealer network, poor marketing, niche product). I could see where you were going if Mazda had the same presence that Honda or Toyota does, but they don't.

Regardless, Mazda has been showing steady growth over the years.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/mazda-canada-reports-sales-for-december-and-full-year-2017-667941223.html
https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/global-sales-mazda-posts-third-straight-record-year/

Honda has also shown steady growth, but that's no surprise as I personally feel that a lot of their sales come from brand loyalty. Something to note: Pilot sales are down 10+% this year, while CX-9 sales reported an increase of over 50% in 2017.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/honda-canada-reports-record-breaking-may-sales-684320461.html

I'm hoping Mazda's partnership with Toyota sets them up well financially over the next few years. Maybe then, Mazda will bring back the Mazdaspeed line.

EDIT: I test drove a CX-9, Pilot, Grand Cherokee, 4runner, Santa Fe and Sorento when I was shopping. CX-9 outperformed all of them in the areas I was most interested in (ride quality, interior/exterior quality and design, and to a lesser extent, mileage), and that's why I bought it. Easy decision for me. Seems that a lot of CR-V owners are switching over to the CX-5 as well.

Last edited by sm1ke; 11-18-18 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I'm not in that market. I'm a car enthusiast, my interest in models and segments isn't limited to segments that make sense for me. My cousin bought the Rogue because it was a demo and was a really good deal, new he would have bought the CX=-5 also.

It is what it is. Mazda as a company doesn't have the reach that Toyota or Honda do, and just because its products don't sell as many as they do doesnt mean they aren't excellent products. I mean look at what the best selling cars are, Camry, Corolla...I wouldn't even want to rent either of those let alone buy them (new Camry is a huge improvement). Mass buyers like mediocrity.

Finally, I believe that turbocharging is a cheap, quick and easy way to add power; it is so technologically easy and so easy to game the fuel efficiency measurement systems that I believe some automakers are not putting enough effort into developing more efficient drivetrains, including super-efficient internal combustion engines.
But you have no evidence to support that, thats just your opinion.

Drive a turbo 4 and a NA 4 and tell me which you'd rather have lol.
Old 11-19-18, 08:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You brought up enthusiast, best in class, as well as what most people want which is mediocre. You ended up leasing an end of generation model that is definitely not best in class. Then you got a Pacifica which is competitive. You imply you want the best in class model. Mazda is definitely not best in class.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-19-18 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 09:12 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

But you have no evidence to support that, thats just your opinion.
No need to get argumentative. I never said it was anything but my opinion.

Drive a turbo 4 and a NA 4 and tell me which you'd rather have lol.
To use your excuse, I am not in the market for a turbo-charged vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2019 Mazda CX-5 debuts with turbocharged engine