Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saw my first LS500 in person...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 04:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Sales are great though, number one in the segment a couple of months.
Old 11-06-18, 04:35 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Talking

We have quite a few LS500’s running around in my area. I think they look alright but I think the LS460 looked better. It’s a nice car for sure but I prefer my LS430 or a newer LS460.

I think the technology is crazy. I know LS500’s pretty well because I see I deal with them at work all the time and I find the car to be overly complicated. Everyone at work loves the LS500 but it’s too complicated for most our LS customers from what I’ve seen. Apparently my opinion is pretty controversial because I’m the only guy at work who doesn’t want an LS and would rather have a 2017 LS460L or an S Class.

Last edited by Kira X; 11-06-18 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-06-18, 04:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw the 2019 ES 350 in person driving on the road. Thought it was an LS. Then realized the lines showed an ES at the C pillar. The grill still looks gauche. But is shows you how much Lexus wants you to look at an ES and a LS and see a sense of Lexus family tree.
Old 11-07-18, 04:26 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Saw the 2019 ES 350 in person driving on the road. Thought it was an LS. Then realized the lines showed an ES at the C pillar. The grill still looks gauche. But is shows you how much Lexus wants you to look at an ES and a LS and see a sense of Lexus family tree.
My dealer mentioned customers confuse the new ES with the LS and vice versa in the showroom but the biggest negative they hear is the V6 , "tight" interior room, and how the LS is 2x cost of the ES. Despite that, LS sales YTD have jumped 507% over last year!
Old 11-07-18, 05:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Despite that, LS sales YTD have jumped 507% over last year!
507% is a misleading way to describe the increase, 507% looks very good but how many actual unit sales did the new LS increase by?
Old 11-07-18, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well i'm sure many of their original customers have "moved on" lol so they need to keep people interested

most people aren't like me, since i want them to build a farty boat type vehicle again haha

i think people are forgetting how nice a car can be when it isn't made to corner flat and instead gracefully glides between turns

Yep....there are still customers that like big boats. They are not in as much of a minority as some would believe. An interesting question, though, is why they made the standard model more sport-oriented when they could have simply designed an (updated) soft boat, and done the F-Sport version for those who want something more athletic?
Old 11-07-18, 06:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well i'm sure many of their original customers have "moved on" lol so they need to keep people interested

most people aren't like me, since i want them to build a farty boat type vehicle again haha

i think people are forgetting how nice a car can be when it isn't made to corner flat and instead gracefully glides between turns
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep....there are still customers that like big boats. They are not in as much of a minority as some would believe. An interesting question, though, is why they made the standard model more sport-oriented when they could have simply designed an (updated) soft boat, and done the F-Sport version for those who want something more athletic?
I agree with the both of you, but from the point of view within marketing, a soft gliding car that does not corner very does not sell, how well does the Genesis G90 sell?. I believe that most people believe that they want sporty but in reality they do not realize how satisfied they are with a relaxed and soft ride.
Old 11-07-18, 06:59 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree with the both of you, but from the point of view within marketing, a soft gliding car that does not corner very does not sell, how well does the Genesis G90 sell?. I believe that most people believe that they want sporty but in reality they do not realize how satisfied they are with a relaxed and soft ride.
Lexus should do what Mercedes does.

S560 boat trim:

S560 sport trim:

Old 11-07-18, 07:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

Lexus should do what Mercedes does.

S560 boat trim:

S560 sport trim:

Both of those Mercedes Benz model trims do not have perception of being boats that do not handle well but offer super soft rides.
Old 11-07-18, 07:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Last month they sold 835 LS vs 328 a year ago so about 500 more. YTD about double vs last year at ~7500

data: https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...chart.download

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-07-18 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-07-18, 07:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Last month they sold 835 LS vs 328 a year ago so about 500 more. YTD about double vs last year at ~7500

These numbers are a better way to describe it. One could make the argument that these numbers are good or they are bad, depends on you look at it a describe it.
Old 11-07-18, 07:38 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Both of those Mercedes Benz model trims do not have perception of being boats that do not handle well but offer super soft rides.
True, but the S560 lux trim has softer airmatic suspension setting than the S560 AMG line. The lux trim also looks less aggressive, and customers will perceive that as a car focused more on comfort than sport.
Old 11-07-18, 08:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I've seen some side by side pictures of the new LS and new ES, and have been surprised at how much they look alike. But then I saw a new ES in person and to me it was very obvious that it's different from the LS.
Old 11-07-18, 08:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

True, but the S560 lux trim has softer airmatic suspension setting than the S560 AMG line. The lux trim also looks less aggressive, and customers will perceive that as a car focused more on comfort than sport.
Agreed. But the perception of any Mercedes Benz is not the same as the past perception of let’s say Buick or Lexus. So that S class can look soft and ride soft, but it does not carry the past of being boat or barge. Agree?
Old 11-07-18, 09:19 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Agreed. But the perception of any Mercedes Benz is not the same as the past perception of let’s say Buick or Lexus. So that S class can look soft and ride soft, but it does not carry the past of being boat or barge. Agree?
Agreed! I spend years working for both Cadillac and Mercedes. Always found it frustrating how even on the Cadillac V series, customers would walk in and say the CTS-V was for old people. Sometimes people get stuck in the past.

Quick Reply: Saw my first LS500 in person...