Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saw my first LS500 in person...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 05:11 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

Are you saying the interior of the LS500 is on par with the S560? Not sure how many people, even on a Lexus forum will agree with you.
If we're talking about a non F-Sport LS500 with the top interior trim, Kiriko glass, etc. I'd definitely agree.
Old 11-10-18, 06:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I wasn't replying just to you, several other people commented about buttons being plastic. Buttons in all these cars are made from plastic.
Higher end BMW's have metal or ceramic buttons though I think it is a option. Genesis G90 has some metal buttons too or it is a option.

If you go higher end Rolls Royce has glass buttons.

As far as interiors the S class looked and felt the highest quality and most significant. I was not impressed with the LS500 interior, pretty disappointed in the design, quality of materials did not seem that great but I was not in it that long, I think the LS460 has a nicer interior.
Old 11-10-18, 08:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Are you saying the interior of the LS500 is on par with the S560? Not sure how many people, even on a Lexus forum will agree with you.

It depends on what interior package the S560 has. If it has the base leather, or the first napa upgrade then yes, I would say its better than the base, on par with the Napa. Napa exclusive or above the S Class is nicer.

As for the buttons, what you touch is metal. How thick is the metal? Who knows and who cares. The feel of leather, metal, and real wood deliver a more premium feel imo. Look at my C43 console for example. It is simple and elegant, that is what I personally look for. I like that fact that my vent controls, toggle buttons, window switches, etc are all metal finished.

Those buttons on your C43 are not metal. They are all plastic. I have a good friend who has one I've been in plenty of times and I've driven them also.

The S Class also does not have metal buttons. They're nice, smooth metal feel buttons but they are plastic.

The LS500 has TONS of real leather, wood and metal trim.
Old 11-10-18, 08:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Higher end BMW's have metal or ceramic buttons though I think it is a option
Yes, if you pay extra for the ceramic controls. Most don't have the ceramic controls.

Genesis G90 has some metal buttons too or it is a option.
No, all plastic.

If you go higher end Rolls Royce has glass buttons.
Of course. They're $300k+

I was not impressed with the LS500 interior, pretty disappointed in the design, quality of materials did not seem that great but I was not in it that long, I think the LS460 has a nicer interior.
I'm flattered, but I don't agree. Material quality in the LS500 is a notable step above the LS460. More use of genuine leather vs imitation (such as on the door armrests/panels & dash), leathers are much better quality, just in general material quality is better in the 500. As an example, the inside of the map pockets in the 500 are alcantara.

Now from a space perspective I agree, the 460 is better.
Old 11-10-18, 11:17 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It depends on what interior package the S560 has. If it has the base leather, or the first napa upgrade then yes, I would say its better than the base, on par with the Napa. Napa exclusive or above the S Class is nicer.

Those buttons on your C43 are not metal. They are all plastic. I have a good friend who has one I've been in plenty of times and I've driven them also.

The S Class also does not have metal buttons. They're nice, smooth metal feel buttons but they are plastic.

The LS500 has TONS of real leather, wood and metal trim.
I use those buttons everyday. They are 100% metal with a satin finish, both in my car and in the S560. If you have proof otherwise, post it! They get really cold in the winter and really hot in the summer. Plastic does not do that. Are you just trying to troll?

You clearly favor the LS and will defend it irrationally. I’m bowing out of this conversation.
Old 11-11-18, 05:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I use those buttons everyday. They are 100% metal with a satin finish, both in my car and in the S560. If you have proof otherwise, post it! They get really cold in the winter and really hot in the summer. Plastic does not do that. Are you just trying to troll?

You clearly favor the LS and will defend it irrationally. I’m bowing out of this conversation.

They have a metallic paint on them, but they're plastic. Proof? I have fingers. Trolling? LOL no, when's the last time you bought a $90k+ luxury sedan? For me it was 10 months ago. I'm hardly a troll, I just don't agree with you sorry. If you can't handle a discussion without getting all whiney than you should bow out.

I actually don't care for the LS500 and I would easily choose a S class over one...and I chose my last build LS460L over one too, but I call it like I see it. Material quality in the LS500 is excellent and is definitely on par with the class, and better than what's in my car. I've driven several S Classes on extended test drives and I've never felt any button that felt like real metal, doesn't mean the interior isn't beautiful.

In any event...even if they are metal, its one row of metal buttons, how about the well documented issues with that whole panel creaking and cracking when you use those buttons in the C Class?

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-11-18 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-11-18, 10:25 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

In any event...even if they are metal, its one row of metal buttons, how about the well documented issues with that whole panel creaking and cracking when you use those buttons in the C Class?
omg YES! when I dropped off my car to get the fuel tank recall done, I was given a GLC 300 loaner car, despite my insistence that I should be given the current equivalent of my car lol, and I even remember how much you could get the entire center console to creak with not even very much effort.
Old 11-11-18, 10:33 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

As for the buttons, what you touch is metal. How thick is the metal? Who knows and who cares. The feel of leather, metal, and real wood deliver a more premium feel imo. Look at my C43 console for example. It is simple and elegant, that is what I personally look for. I like that fact that my vent controls, toggle buttons, window switches, etc are all metal finished.
I agree about the nice center console design in your car, right up until the moment you get to that cheap screen just slapped on almost like an afterthought. that's really my one gripe with the current era of Mercedes interiors. otherwise I think they look good.

and idk if one could claim the LS 500 to have a better interior than the S class, but I think it's pretty on par. The design and materials are all quite top-notch for a sub $100,000 car.
Old 11-11-18, 11:23 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, if you pay extra for the ceramic controls. Most don't have the ceramic controls.

No, all plastic.

Of course. They're $300k+

I'm flattered, but I don't agree. Material quality in the LS500 is a notable step above the LS460. More use of genuine leather vs imitation (such as on the door armrests/panels & dash), leathers are much better quality, just in general material quality is better in the 500. As an example, the inside of the map pockets in the 500 are alcantara.

Now from a space perspective I agree, the 460 is better.
The climate controls in the G90 have what they say is metal finished buttons, they felt like metal when I pressed them. I read a review in a car mag that also said some G90 buttons were metal, might be a upgrade or 8 cylinder only feature but I have read several sources that said they are metal or it is a upgrade option. My GS has metal volume/tuning controls on the dash, it is not that super exclusive to have metal buttons and controls.

The leather in the LS500 did not feel any better then LS460s I test drove or even my semi aniline leather, it looked and smelled newer of course but not higher quality although I did not go over every nook and cranny when I sat in the LS500 to see what is real and imitation. The LS500 did not give off that flagship interior vibe when I sat in it, it just did not look or really feel like a flagship sedan interior, seemed kind of plain and barren where the S class felt much more like a flagship sedan in design and feel, I think the LS500 lost a few things too over the 460 like power seatbelt position risers, possibly power headrests.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/ove...nesis_g90_2018
Old 11-11-18, 11:27 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

They have a metallic paint on them, but they're plastic. Proof? I have fingers. Trolling? LOL no, when's the last time you bought a $90k+ luxury sedan? For me it was 10 months ago. I'm hardly a troll, I just don't agree with you sorry. If you can't handle a discussion without getting all whiney than you should bow out.

I actually don't care for the LS500 and I would easily choose a S class over one...and I chose my last build LS460L over one too, but I call it like I see it. Material quality in the LS500 is excellent and is definitely on par with the class, and better than what's in my car. I've driven several S Classes on extended test drives and I've never felt any button that felt like real metal, doesn't mean the interior isn't beautiful.

I did see that on youtube and also noticed it, not nearly as loud though, when I pressed on it in a neighbors newer C class. It does it on the doors too when you press the panel. Inexcusable for a luxury car.

Old 11-11-18, 11:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
The climate controls in the G90 have what they say is metal finished buttons, they felt like metal when I pressed them. I read a review in a car mag that also said some G90 buttons were metal, might be a upgrade or 8 cylinder only feature but I have read several sources that said they are metal or it is a upgrade option. My GS has metal volume/tuning controls on the dash, it is not that super exclusive to have metal buttons and controls.
They're painted in a metalized finish, but they're not metal buttons. I drove several G90s as I really came close to getting one. Buttons and switchgear are actually a low point for the G90 as they feel very Hyundai spec in a lot of places, Lexus has done a better job getting away from Toyota feel buttons, Genesis will get there with time.

Yeah the GS does have those great metal tuning *****, the 13-17 LS460s do also, and the LS500 has a really nice metal volume/tuning ****, and metal knurled wheels for the temp controls. Having a few metal ***** here and there is one thing, but the idea that "all the controls are metal" is just not the case in any of these cars.

The leather in the LS500 did not feel any better then LS460s I test drove or even my semi aniline leather, it looked and smelled newer of course but not higher quality although I did not go over every nook and cranny when I sat in the LS500 to see what is real and imitation. The LS500 did not give off that flagship interior vibe when I sat in it, it just did not look or really feel like a flagship sedan interior, seemed kind of plain and barren where the S class felt much more like a flagship sedan in design and feel, I think the LS500 lost a few things too over the 460 like power seatbelt position risers, possibly power headrests.
All depends on how the LS500 was equipped. Well equipped the interior is very nice. The leather quality of the base LS460 interior was surprisingly poor, I had it on my 2015 and it was always a disappointment. The semi-aniline leather is much better, but the base leather and the semi aniline leather in the LS500 are both a step above.

Its just a different style...the 500 is way more modern looking vs a traditional luxury car look like the S Class. I'm not debating styling, thats subjective but material quality isn't.

500 lost the power seat belt anchors (S Class doesn't have those either), but still has power headrests. Seats are WAY more adjustable and better than whats in the 460, massage, etc.

For the S Class, like the LS it depends on the spec. A base S Class with the base leather is actually kind of drab, the leather is very coarse. Gotta have at least the Napa 1 upgrade, and preferably the exclusive Napa to really feel special.

Never heard anybody call the LS500's interior plain. Most people say its too overdone and busy.
Old 11-11-18, 11:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the vents hard creaking plastic? I really do like the look of the console, but that tablet slapped on there is hideous. Mercedes should have recessed it like they did in the E Class and S Class
Old 11-11-18, 01:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Opinions on S Class vs 5LS interior styling are subjective, so to make it objective across the population, we must do a poll/survey.

We must also be careful of the sample selected.
Are we sampling the opinions of the broad population at large?
Are we sampling potential full size luxury car buyers?
Or are we just sampling ClubLexus Forum etc etc?

Manufacturers poll/survey all the time, but the results are often kept secret.

I don't have any poll/survey results, but I suspect the S Class is more stylish inside, or at least has a more upmarket look inside - mainly because since the 1960's etc, generation after generation, the interior of the S Class has more and more chrome, which gives it that lift - although there is such a thing as too much chrome.
The 5LS may be targeting the younger generation with its sportier front mid-engine at the cost of space, firmer ride at the cost of comfort and refinement, and less chrome work - hence a plainer interior look compared to the S Class - the latter which is still the number 1 diplomat's car in the world.

However, the S Class's use of Elvis Presley's diamond stitching is equally controversial, giving it that retro look.
[Please excuse the S Class Coupe photo with 3-spoke steering wheel; used to try to match red interior for comparison purposes].

Overall, I'd have to give S Class the edge over 5LS interior, hence the current S Class's 24k+ sales on it debut year, while the 5LS is unable to even attain its low set target of 1k/month for the very first time in the LS's near 30 year history.
The next generation S Class is just 18 months away, so keep an eye out for another 24k units of S Class sales in its debut year!

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...hots-and-video

I'm not too worried about 5LS' interior styling, nor its sporty pretensions; it is more the exterior rear quarter view that really lets 5LS down.
Some people say that 5LS styling is too aggressive - I don't think it is aggressive at all - the front quarter view has some style, but the rear quarter view just lacks style, and is too Infiniti-like as others have said.
Versus the slick clean exterior of the S Class rear quarter view...

And an all new S Class based on the new MRA platform is less than 18 months away; 5LS is dead in the water...

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-11-18 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-11-18, 02:02 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

LS500 interior is a mess. Compare the LS steering wheel to the S Class steering wheel. Whether those S Class buttons and trim are solid metal or metal coated, they certainly don't look or feel as cheap as the clearly plastic Toyota-like buttons on the LS. There is a reason the LS is cheaper. It's because it is cheaper.

Old 11-11-18, 02:16 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

^ Notice how the S Class' plentiful chrome work makes it look more upmarket.

Quick Reply: Saw my first LS500 in person...