Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best roads in the U.S. to enjoy your vehicle on

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 09:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

The hills near Branson, MO, down into southern MO, particularly the MO-76 highway, are pretty amazing roads - not for those who have motion sickness though. Lots of elevation changes and tight turns. Though they are mostly surrounded by trees, you can occasionally get some good views. I made the mistake of taking my wife with me on a drive through there - so I had to take it VERY easy. But I plan to go back.

Also thanks for posting this, I gotta travel more!
Old 09-21-18, 09:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The Olympic Peninsula Loop in Washington State. Approximate 330 miles.

Old 09-21-18, 04:28 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Cool thread topic - thanks for posting. I'll contribute a couple that haven't been shared yet:

1) Interstate 40 from Knoxville, TN to Asheville, NC is a really beautiful drive.
2) The drive from Denver to Vail, CO on a nice summer day is pretty spectacular.

I've driven from SFO to a bit south of Big Sur, including a couple hour drive and getting out of the car in Pebble Beach, and as someone who grew up on the east coast I was in awe. I'd really like to do some driving through Oregon, WA state, Montana and Idaho during the non-winter months.
Old 09-21-18, 04:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

For me, US1 in the Florida Keys, lots of bridges and water on both sides.
Old 09-21-18, 10:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Fall when the leaves are changing colors is a great time for a relaxing drive. Blue Ridge are supposed to be really nice but speed is limited so no real high performance driving. Harpers Ferry in MD is a nice scenic drive, you get some nice views of the river/rapids. I used to drive in the valley in Delaware off Pennsylvania Ave heading to PA in the fall which is really nice in the woods/country and hilly, there is a covered bridge over Brandywine creek at one part and some old stone houses/farms.
Old 09-22-18, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'd really like to do some driving through Oregon, WA state, Montana and Idaho during the non-winter months.
If you are going to be in that region, The Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park is spectacular.
Old 09-22-18, 01:16 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
It's kind of interesting. Don't get me wrong I grew up skiing at Killington, had season passes multiple years.

At the same time, we had this expression, "leaf peepers." Is it somehow out of the question, to enjoy suburban/urban living and driving?

Personally? I love driving over the George Washington Bridge, from the Henry Hudson Bridge (use a NY E-ZPass for $2.64 toll instead of $6), upper level on the GW, of course--I don't like driving on the lower level. It's my favorite bridge period, great architecture and it was renovated, and the Henry Hudson throws you right onto it. I enjoy the view of the Hudson going from NY to NJ. A little to the north? I like driving eastbound on the Tappan Zee. I call it that even though the name changed, sorry, it's Tappan Zee to me. Excellent and beautiful views. Also along 9W northbound, looking to your right.
i actually think the lower level has the better view (out to the side at least) since the upper level has a much higher guardrail blocking views of the city and the hudson river to the north. also i'm almost always in favor of not driving next to trucks since they always fling up debris and such. apart from the NJ turnpike since everyone knows the cars only side is for rookies and ends up being slower. passing a truck is also more satisfying lol...
Old 09-26-18, 09:44 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
US 89 and 89A:

That road runs through my home town in Utah. It is a beautiful drive indeed, I was definitely fortunate to grow up there.

Although these days I don't ever take the time to admire it, as it usually represents the end of a long and tiresome drive.
Old 09-26-18, 10:03 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

The Alaska ones look AMAZING! And the Seward Highway too!

If I am to pass, I want my last image to be of that (along with loved ones sending me off).

Love this thread!
Old 09-26-18, 03:18 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Mullholland Dr:

Or the Ortega Highway: