Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best roads in the U.S. to enjoy your vehicle on

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Best roads in the U.S. to enjoy your vehicle on

We talk a lot, in Car Chat, about our vehicles, and about the auto-industry in general, but actually spend little time discussing where we enjoy driving them the most. We haven't had a thread on that subject in some time, and, especially for the newer CL members, I think it would be nice to post some of the nicest and most picturesque places in the U.S. to actually take your vehicle out for a drive. Those of you in Canada, or in other countries, also feel free to post your favorite roads as well......I know there are some beautiful places in the Canadian Rockies and along the Atlantic Coast.

For those in the Eastern U.S. (East of the Mississippi River), IMO, the most scenic route is arguably the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway, which begins at Front Royal, VA, about 70 miles west of Washington, D.C. and rides the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains (which abruptly rise at Front Royal from lower elevations farther north) through Shenandoah National Park. There are gorgeous views on both sides of the Drive, a tunnel, and one can park and hike, on trails, to the top of the tallest peaks, such as Mary's Rock, Stony Man, and Hawksbill. (I used to do a number of the hikes, but my knees are too weak now). At the southern end of Skyline Drive, near Waynesboro, at Rockfish Gap, the Drive becomes the Blue Ridge Parkway, and continues south for several hundred more miles, into far western North Carolina, near some of the tallest mountains in the East.

West of the Mississippi, there are several noted scenic roads. The Going to the Sun Highway, in Montana's Glacier National Park in the Northern Rockies, is spectacular in the warmer months, though it is closed during the region's harsh winters.

And, of course, Route 1, the famous Pacific Coast Highway, along the California and Oregon coastline, which often serves as the poster-background for new-car ads, particularly on TV and in the car-magazines. Perhaps the best and most well-known/photographed part of it is up around the Big Sur bridge.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-20-18 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 05:11 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

Great post and great pics! If only all of our Bay Area road surfaces looked like that last Hwy 1 pic haha.

We are spoiled here, though. The general area comprising State Route 9, Skyline Boulevard (SR between 9 and 92) and the roads through Big Basin etc are some great driving roads, they somewhat connect up with Hwy 1 and all feel like they are a world away from the traffic in the Valley.
Old 09-20-18, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For those of you in Texas, though I wouldn't necessarily call them spectacular, a very nice drive through the Hill Country is TX 337 from Leakey to Vanderpool, through the heart of what is probably the most picturesque region of the Hill Country, which covers part of the South Central part of the state.

And the Camino Del Rio (River Road, TX 170) which runs along the arid parts of the Rio Grande, in and out of the desert/mountains, from the edge of Big Bend National Park to Presidio.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-20-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
Great post and great pics!
Thanks.

If only all of our Bay Area road surfaces looked like that last Hwy 1 pic haha.
One thing that helps in that area is that it rarely gets cold enough to freeze right along the coast, so you don't get the notorious freeze/thaw cycles (and potholes) on the pavement from any salt spray coming up from the water. Any damage or deterioration to the road surface itself is (probably) from just a lot of vehicle-use from sightseers, and cracks from the frequent tremors/small earthquakes (and occasionally a larger quake) in the region. Mudslides during winter rains sometimes takes out part of the foundation of the road as well.
Old 09-20-18, 05:51 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

US-89 through AZ and UT around the grand canyon. Some of the most gorgeous roads I have every driven on. on the straight and flat, there is no speed limit enforced during daylight hours through certain mile markers. If you know which are which you can have a lot of fun there.

Driving through Alaska has revealed some of the most breathtaking scenery to behold.

Alaska Highway:

Seward Highway:

The Glenn/Parks Highway:

Old 09-20-18, 05:54 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

US 89 and 89A:

And maybe one of my favorites...The Pikes Peak Highway (site of the famous Pikes Peak Hill Climb!)

Old 09-20-18, 06:00 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

If the road in the prior post is the "AL/CAN Hwy I have ridden the entire length in a 1966 Rambler Station Wagon in Aug. 1969. It was not a enjoyable drive in the least as half the road was gravel at that time, and I was moving from Alaska so the scenery was nothing I hadn't seen before.
Old 09-20-18, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, Josh. I considered posting the Pikes Peak Road, and it is indeed spectacular, but it's not that long, and, at the summit, above 14,000 feet, it is so high that some non-turbo engines would be quite short on power, and some people would have trouble breathing. Like the Mt. Washington Road in NH, parts of it are also risky, without guard rails on those hairpin turns and sharp drop-offs.
Old 09-20-18, 09:28 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
If the road in the prior post is the "AL/CAN Hwy I have ridden the entire length in a 1966 Rambler Station Wagon in Aug. 1969. It was not a enjoyable drive in the least as half the road was gravel at that time, and I was moving from Alaska so the scenery was nothing I hadn't seen before.
Anyone has driven the Alcan highway in the past few years? How much of the road is gravel now?
Old 09-20-18, 09:33 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i remember when top gear drove on the blue ridge parkway and found themselves unable to "enjoy" it since the speed limit was only like 40 lol. i'll make my east coast contribution with VT-17 going over the appalachian gap. very nice views and just a nice technical road.

as far as scenery is concerned nothing beats out west / alaska, i mean just look at those pictures! of course since nothing is perfect, my only issue with out west is that since the elevations can be so high, cars can feel especially sluggish especially when going uphill. here at sea level the current 4Runner doesn't have much trouble making a pass, however at 9000 feet driving up little cottonwood canyon in UT it really could've benefited from some additional oompf.
Old 09-21-18, 06:14 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i remember when top gear drove on the blue ridge parkway and found themselves unable to "enjoy" it since the speed limit was only like 40 lol.
I agree. While scenic for the passengers in the car, after about 20 miles of being on the brakes in turns and probably averaging 25 mph I did not "enjoy" my vehicle on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Several years ago we were in northern North Carolina and took the Blue Ridge Parkway. After about 20 miles I could not wait to get to Asheville where I could pick up I-40.

Have very much enjoyed the pics in this thread!
Old 09-21-18, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i remember when top gear drove on the blue ridge parkway and found themselves unable to "enjoy" it since the speed limit was only like 40 lol.
Well, then, IMO that is their fault, not the road's. Skyline Drive and the Parkway are not designed for speed, aggressive driving, or for getting somewhere in a hurry. They are designed to drive at a leisurely pace, stop at the lookout points, and simply enjoy what is arguably the best scenery in the Eastern U.S. In addition, speeds have to be kept down because of the many stopping points/overlooks, families and pets on the side of the road, and the predominance of deer and black bears in the Park, which, by law, are pretty much allowed to roam free and are protected.....remember, the Skyline Drive portion is in a National Park. The Parkway, south of Skyline Drive, is not all Federal property, but, likewise, has a lot of deer and bears close by.

as far as scenery is concerned nothing beats out west / alaska, i mean just look at those pictures! of course since nothing is perfect, my only issue with out west is that since the elevations can be so high, cars can feel especially sluggish especially when going uphill. here at sea level the current 4Runner doesn't have much trouble making a pass, however at 9000 feet driving up little cottonwood canyon in UT it really could've benefited from some additional oompf.
The Going to the Sun Road, in Glacier National Park is indeed quite spectacular, comparable IMO to some of the most beautiful in the Alps. But a number of those mountain roads out West are virtually impassible in the winter because of deep snow, and, indeed, some close down. And, yes, the high altitudes, without a turbo, usually means less power, tough power is not always that big an issue if you just want to drive along leisurely and enjoy the scenery. You also sometimes come up on hairpin curves or narrow tunnels, where you have to slow down.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-18 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wasjr
I agree. While scenic for the passengers in the car, after about 20 miles of being on the brakes in turns and probably averaging 25 mph I did not "enjoy" my vehicle on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Several years ago we were in northern North Carolina and took the Blue Ridge Parkway. After about 20 miles I could not wait to get to Asheville where I could pick up I-40.
The Parkway itself has a lot of beautiful spots, particularly as you approach Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina, which is the highest peak on the Blue Ridge. But, overall, Skyline Drive, north of it, probably has more consistent views because of the narrower nature of the Blue Ridge chain itself and the sharp drop-offs on both sides. South of Shenandoah National Park, the Blue Ridge expands significantly in width, and driving along it becomes more like driving on a high plateau until the really high peaks in western North Carolina are reached.

Have very much enjoyed the pics in this thread!
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-18 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm surprised that more of you haven't talked about the Pacific Coast Highway. The auto companies and magazines, of course, often use it as the poster-child backdrop for their vehicles and advertising.
Old 09-21-18, 06:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

It's kind of interesting. Don't get me wrong I grew up skiing at Killington, had season passes multiple years.

At the same time, we had this expression, "leaf peepers." Is it somehow out of the question, to enjoy suburban/urban living and driving?

Personally? I love driving over the George Washington Bridge, from the Henry Hudson Bridge (use a NY E-ZPass for $2.64 toll instead of $6), upper level on the GW, of course--I don't like driving on the lower level. It's my favorite bridge period, great architecture and it was renovated, and the Henry Hudson throws you right onto it. I enjoy the view of the Hudson going from NY to NJ. A little to the north? I like driving eastbound on the Tappan Zee. I call it that even though the name changed, sorry, it's Tappan Zee to me. Excellent and beautiful views. Also along 9W northbound, looking to your right.

Quick Reply: Best roads in the U.S. to enjoy your vehicle on