Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Your cherry picked scenario doesn't invalidate other legitimate scenarios.

We had scenes almost exactly like that this morning in and close to D.C. with a torrential rainstorm.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...ge%2Fstory-ans
Old 07-08-19, 09:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would never buy any truck or SUV 4x2 regardless of where I lived.
each to their own. my explorer and jeep grand cherokee were both 4x2. the extra cost of 4x4 for a feature that i didn't think i'd ever need wasn't worth it for me.
Old 07-08-19, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
each to their own. my explorer and jeep grand cherokee were both 4x2. the extra cost of 4x4 for a feature that i didn't think i'd ever need wasn't worth it for me.

Then, without 4WD, why get an SUV in the first place? You just like sitting up higher? Or you want the extra room in back to carry things? Perhaps those questions were answered when you got the G90.
Old 07-08-19, 11:06 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Then, without 4WD, why get an SUV in the first place? You just like sitting up higher? Or you want the extra room in back to carry things? Perhaps those questions were answered when you got the G90.
When you live in a state that never gets snow and don't intend on going off-road, what would be the justification for getting 4WD? People would buy a 4x2 SUV or pick-up for many reasons - space, road height, ability to haul/tow things, easier with kids, etc.
Old 07-08-19, 11:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
When you live in a state that never gets snow and don't intend on going off-road, what would be the justification for getting 4WD? People would buy a 4x2 SUV or pick-up for many reasons - space, road height, ability to haul/tow things, easier with kids, etc.
Those states might still have heavy rains
Old 07-08-19, 11:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I just wouldn't get an SUV or truck in those situations. IMHO 4WD goes hand in hand with a truck or SUV.
Old 07-08-19, 11:49 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just wouldn't get an SUV or truck in those situations. IMHO 4WD goes hand in hand with a truck or SUV.
I'm with you. 4WD puts the utility in sUv
Old 07-08-19, 11:58 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Those states might still have heavy rains
Yes, but I've lived in FL for 10 years and never needed 4WD in any situation (I drive an LS460 in torrential FL downpours and my wife has an LX570). Obviously I have a very capable 4WD vehicle and never use it like that. I can't imagine not having an SUV though because our lifestyle with kids makes it a must-have for many reasons so I see nothing wrong with owning a 4x2 SUV or pick-up truck. However, if I were buying an SUV I'd prefer it to be 4X4 but only because it seems to increase the mass-market appeal for resale (which is being demonstrated on this board).
Old 07-08-19, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Yes, but I've lived in FL for 10 years and never needed 4WD in any situation (I drive an LS460 in torrential FL downpours and my wife has an LX570). Obviously I have a very capable 4WD vehicle and never use it like that. I can't imagine not having an SUV though because our lifestyle with kids makes it a must-have for many reasons so I see nothing wrong with owning a 4x2 SUV or pick-up truck. However, if I were buying an SUV I'd prefer it to be 4X4 but only because it seems to increase the mass-market appeal for resale (which is being demonstrated on this board).
Great point.

Here in California for say the Lexus RX, NorCal gets mostly AWD, while SoCal gets lots of FWD. And when it comes to resale, lots of FWD on the market
Old 07-08-19, 12:51 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

I live in the snowbelt (that also gets heavy rains), and bought two 4x2 pickups in a row. I did get stuck once in the 50 or 60k miles I had them, ironically the day I picked the second truck up from the dealer. But otherwise totally fine, and had no need for 4wd and the associated cost, maintenance and hit to fuel economy and ride quality (solid axle/torsion bar vs. IFS).
Old 07-08-19, 12:55 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Agreed. The only off-roading I've ever done in SoFlo is parking on the front lawn lol.
Old 07-08-19, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One does also not have to get an SUV to have AWD....it is available in other types of vehicles a well...except convertibles. That's why I asked bit if, without AWD, he was simply attracted to a 2WD SUV's seating height and space-efficiency.
Old 07-08-19, 01:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

One does also not have to get an SUV to have AWD....
Where you live now. If you were to buy a full size pick-up truck. Would you buy a 2WD truck or 4WD truck?
Old 07-08-19, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Where you live now. If you were to buy a full size pick-up truck. Would you buy a 2WD truck or 4WD truck?
In my area, I'd get the 4X4. It would also be my winter vehicle if I had to go somewhere in bad conditions. Overall, among the full-sizers, I'd probably have to probably toss the dice, though, on which brand to get. I like the Ram 1500's luxury-car ride and general refinement, the F-150's advantages from the lighter aluminum weight (except maybe for the bed or tailgate buckling under a heavy load), the Silverado 1500's seat-comfort, interior/control layout and handling, and the GMC Sierra 1500's combination of an upgraded Silverado's interior, a better-looking front end, and a less-stiff ride than the bouncy Silverado. The Tundra and Titan would probably both be out, for different reasons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-08-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 01:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

In my area, I'd get the 4X4. s.
Good to hear

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited