Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 06:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
People's shift to trucks is totally an image thing.
Took the words right out of my keyboard.

I personally will never drive a truck. I don’t have a need for a bed, am not towing a 5th wheel, etc., and i don’t like the hassle of parking them. I don’t like the height of getting in and out either, and i’m not short.

But boy am i in a minority.
Old 07-16-19, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Been reading that the stats show people who once owned luxury cars are trading them in for high end trucks...Sierra Denalis and loaded Rams.
Haven't sampled a GMC Sierra Denali......but, from reviews, I hear that, unlike its rather stiff Silverado cousin, it is almost the equal of the Ram 1500 in ride comfort. The GMC recently won a (Canadian-spec) six-truck comparison test with the Silverado, F-150, Ram, Titan, and Tundra.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...omparison.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-16-19 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 07:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I personally will never drive a truck. I don’t have a need for a bed, am not towing a 5th wheel, etc., and i don’t like the hassle of parking them. I don’t like the height of getting in and out either, and i’m not short.

Which is fine. The top three best selling vehicles are still trucks. So there are people who like them. A lot of them
Old 07-16-19, 09:46 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

It's okay, we love you anyway.

I haven't ridden in a 2019 RAM, but the 2016 that I rode in was definitely a smoother ride than my F-150. I wouldn't equate it with a luxury car, but I would say it's a step above the competition in the truck market for ride quality. Hard thing to admit for a Ford guy, but it is true.

RAM is definitely carving out their niche. They are the luxury truck segment. They don't have class leading payload or reliability, and they don't have the fastest trucks. But they definitely have the most luxurious trucks. Time will tell how those fancy interiors hold up(i don't have high hopes for those screens), however.

TBH I think the outgoing 4th gens looked far better than the 5th gens.
Old 07-16-19, 10:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Which is fine. The top three best selling vehicles are still trucks. So there are people who like them. A lot of them
yup, no kidding!

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
It's okay, we love you anyway.
ha, thanks - but i'm absolutely NOT anti-truck. had an '04 F-150 FX4 (first year of that newer style), well, my other half at the time did, and it was EXCELLENT. had it for 100k. it pulled a big horse trailer now and then, and a lot of other duties. i did not like the reverse half doors on it which you could get 'trapped' between in a tight parking spot

back to the ram, great to hear the ride/quiet is very good. ram/jeep have kept fiat afloat!
Old 07-16-19, 01:55 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

"Rides better" is relative. It rides and drives nothing like a luxury car or any other car, it rides and drives like what it is, which is a huge truck. It just happens to be a very nice riding and quiet huge truck.

I would never choose to drive a huge truck like the Ram vs a stiffer suspension sport sedan, unless I needed a truck for some reason.
test drive a Ram Limited with the 20" wheels which has air suspension standard. I think youll be quite surprised how cushy it is. Yes you'll feel hints of truck in the driving but its by far our quietest and smoothest vehicle. Also, Ram is the only truck to have coil springs instead of leaf springs in the rear, so the ride is more car like than the others.
Old 07-16-19, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

back to the ram, great to hear the ride/quiet is very good. ram/jeep have kept fiat afloat!
You won't really appreciate it until you test-drive a new Ram 1500. It is remarkable what the engineers have done in the NVH department.
Old 07-17-19, 07:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

People's shift to trucks is totally an image thing.
find me a vehicle that could do everything my ram limited does for 50k (what i paid for it). You cant even get a decent luxury crossover or luxury sedan for that. Interior is just as good as a luxury vehicle. What do I have to gain by getting another sedan instead? And it can replace two vehicles in a household, you dont need to buy a luxury car and a truck, just buy one vehicle.
Old 07-18-19, 04:19 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
find me a vehicle that could do everything my ram limited does for 50k (what i paid for it). You cant even get a decent luxury crossover or luxury sedan for that. Interior is just as good as a luxury vehicle. What do I have to gain by getting another sedan instead? And it can replace two vehicles in a household, you dont need to buy a luxury car and a truck, just buy one vehicle.
I find it hilarious to dismiss trucks as an image item when we're on a forum for luxury cars....the ultimate in prestige "image" purchases.
Old 07-18-19, 04:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I find it hilarious to dismiss trucks as an image item when we're on a forum for luxury cars....the ultimate in prestige "image" purchases.
Yeah. I tow things, and need a legit 4x4. It is the icing on the cake that trucks are so nice these days.
Old 07-18-19, 05:04 PM
henfield
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in 1995 I bought one of the first Land Rover Discovery's that made it to the US. Believe it or not I recycled most of the drivetrain into a home brewed dedicated wheeling machine. Back in 1995 it was fantastic to see over the roofs of cars a long way forward. Only way to do that now is to get a 2500/3500.....
Old 01-23-20, 06:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Couple weeks ago I loaded over 1200# of stone with a table from San Antonio to Houston with the 3 of us and our travel gear. Ram air suspension leveled out hte ride very well and drove very stable. Let me know what car can do that.

Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn and Limited wins Cars.com 2020 Luxury Car of the year against BMW X7 and Mercedes S class. Cars.com doesn't differentiate what a car is, hence why a website like cars.com covers more than just cars and why an X7 is in the list.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2020-l...e-year-415811/

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...rd/4503578002/

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-23-20 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-23-20, 07:29 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Due to (I presume) FCA oversupply, dealers are making some pretty solid deals on 19 Ram 1500's - I'm seeing $14k-$16k off here in Texas off the Limited trim's which gets you pretty much a ~$65k truck for slightly under $50k...
Old 01-23-20, 07:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

yea back in June my $67.5k Limited went down to $50k. Always get big discounts on the american trucks. Trucks have always had inflated MSRPs
Old 01-23-20, 05:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I was in a 2019 1500 recently and it had the clearest crispest backup camera image I've ever seen in a vehicle. I was very surprised. Step it up luxury automakers

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited