Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Lexus ES is first mass-produced car to replace side mirrors with cameras

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 11:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Not a fan: I feel like another screen near or close to me is another distraction...we already have cell phone nav screens, infotainment screens, some folks have a Heads Up Display options, a mini-info screen on the driver dash, and now we have another screen to view the side mirrors. Yikes!
But this extra viewing screen is of what's going on around you- a good thing. Precisely the thing people who are fiddling with their phones are not getting. It's the same info you get from looking at a mirror, except it's a screen inside the car. There is no big difference.
Old 09-12-18, 11:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It looks okay on the green car, but looks like an alien armature in the other pics. Rather see them rethink it.
Old 09-13-18, 02:56 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Where else are they going to put it? Wherever you put it reasonably in line with the driver's vision, you are going to block at least some of the view out the windshield itself.
I know where to put it but I've been out to automotive industry for so long so I'm kind of lazy to go and patent the whole thing in US, Berlin and Hong Kong if I'm not going to try to make money out of it only to get screwed up anyway. Let them figure it out. This what we see here is a half-product.
Old 09-13-18, 06:14 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Nice point. +1

I also want to add onto this. Does the Lexus ES feature the tech that warns you if an oncoming biker/car/runner is coming when the Lexus ES is off and parked? So you don't open the door and hit someone or get hit? A lot of people use the mirrors on the side to check for oncoming traffic before opening the door.
For this tech to work - you have to have this feature. Or it'll be a pain to get out of your car.
Ideally it'll be on a timer like the headlights. Stay on for a certain amount of time or until one gets out of the car and locks the door.
Old 09-13-18, 06:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wonder how many peopel are against these camera mirrors but are fine with backup cameras
Old 09-13-18, 07:28 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Nice point. +1

I also want to add onto this. Does the Lexus ES feature the tech that warns you if an oncoming biker/car/runner is coming when the Lexus ES is off and parked? So you don't open the door and hit someone or get hit? A lot of people use the mirrors on the side to check for oncoming traffic before opening the door.
For this tech to work - you have to have this feature. Or it'll be a pain to get out of your car.
Yeah exactly this is a key use case for a traditional mirror. However, I would expect power management to keep the screens on when one power's off the car but perhaps only until the driver or passenger open the door. Then, what do we have after the screen is off to address safety use-cases that a traditional mirror provides today... ?
Old 09-13-18, 07:30 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as it comes standard and doesn't cost more than regular mirrors im all for it. lol
Old 09-13-18, 07:39 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I have an idea...we should reinvent the wheel while we are at it.

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't look like such an afterthought. I am being nice...I really can't say what I think it looks like on the forums.
Old 09-13-18, 10:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah I wonder what the cost of this camera system is vs conventional mirrors
Old 09-13-18, 01:12 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
But this extra viewing screen is of what's going on around you- a good thing. Precisely the thing people who are fiddling with their phones are not getting. It's the same info you get from looking at a mirror, except it's a screen inside the car. There is no big difference.
I agree that a screen showing whats going on around me is helpful. I'm sure I could change and adapt to this type of tech, however I currently don't look at my side mirrors unless I have to and they aren't in my immediate field of vision. Whether the vehicle is right or left side drive, that screen is going be fairly close to your peripheral field of vision --meaning yet another screen "in your face"...

That image of posted by fellow member/moderator Hoovey2411 shows a fairly busy screen-based interior BEFORE the addition of the side mirror screens. Again, i'm not saying I wouldn't be able to adapt to this if it somehow became a standard, but there are lots of challenges regarding these camera's positioning, screen size, dimensions, proper resolution, image perspective/presentation, viewpoint, viewing angles, distance perception (are objects in the screen closer than they appear?), how does foggy/wet/snowy/dirty camera lens affect the image, any split second delay, etc.

Toyota is a champion of quality assurance/testing and i'm sure the tech has gone through all of this scrutiny but its fairly new to the market so lets see how the consumer market responds...thats the real test!
Old 09-13-18, 01:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is a very good video outlining the benefits, of which there are many

https://youtu.be/HZ98z6q2_2I
Although I have no idea what she was saying. I buy into the advantages. Well done Lexus!
Old 09-14-18, 03:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah I wonder what the cost of this camera system is vs conventional mirrors
it is a Lexus... I am not sure we should care about cost of innovative technology, and at the same time worry that $32k car does not have option of useless 360 camera.

But yeah, this will be on ES Luxury model only as extra cost... but looks way more useful than 360 cameras for instance.
Old 09-14-18, 04:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

these should be more integrated with the dash and infotainment not on the sides or they couldve done something like the cadillas rear view camera system
Old 09-14-18, 05:34 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The video shows the benefit when the car is on and in motion, namely zoom capability and a wider field of view than a mirror. However, car off (to not drain battery), driver or passenger waiting in car in a parking lot, driveway, etc - how does one see at the side back, especially for a passenger?
This problem was solved millenia ago. Spines are quite flexible and the human body can rotate quite easily. The passenger already has to contort him/herself to get a clear view out of the passenger-side mirror when it is set for the driver anyway.
Old 09-14-18, 07:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

biggest thing is nighttime visibility, the much wider viewing angle, and you can see stuff even with morning dew and condensation

Quick Reply: 2019 Lexus ES is first mass-produced car to replace side mirrors with cameras