Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Lexus ES is first mass-produced car to replace side mirrors with cameras

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 01:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

there is a very good video outlining the benefits, of which there are many

Old 09-12-18, 01:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
It's probably optional and the ES is their biggest selling car so why not see if it's an actual hit on their hit vehicle? If it is, then I guess we'll see it on other Lexus'
likely because it is latest new model and tech just became available (and legislated).
Old 09-12-18, 02:15 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Its not broke - don't fix it. I feel like this technology will cause more problems than benefits. I don't feel like having another screen (especially a screen that is right besides the driver) is safe. We already in this era where big screen is everything and more screens is everything. Secondly - what about the reliability of this thing? Sure - it seems cool. But how does it work in harsh weather conditions? How will it age? I'm asking this because what if bad weather conditions and older age cause the system to lag as it projects an on-coming car. The cost to repair this thing might be insane too.

At the end of the day - this technology might not even get mass market.
Old 09-12-18, 02:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I wish they would just stick to mirrors.
Old 09-12-18, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Another useless and over-complex gimmick waiting to fail. Ford, IMO, does it correctly...convex-inserts on the mirror that expand the field of vision. The inserts can also be bought aftermarket and manually stuck on the mirror.

Old 09-12-18, 05:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^ I despise those secondary convex mirrors. I find them incredibly distracting trying to focus my eyes between the two.
Old 09-12-18, 05:52 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not understand at all why do they have to shove screens in the corners of the cabin, Audi's been doing the same thing. What is the point of the camera when you still have to turn your head left to right?
Old 09-12-18, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
^ I despise those secondary convex mirrors. I find them incredibly distracting trying to focus my eyes between the two.

I'll respect your opinion on that, but every time I have reviewed or test-driven a recent Ford product, I have found it to be a very useful feature. Small stick-on round ones are available aftermarket, but the rectangular ones Ford uses at the factory cover a little more area....and they won't loosen and fall off.
Old 09-12-18, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
I do not understand at all why do they have to shove screens in the corners of the cabin, Audi's been doing the same thing. What is the point of the camera when you still have to turn your head left to right?

Where else are they going to put it? Wherever you put it reasonably in line with the driver's vision, you are going to block at least some of the view out the windshield itself.
Old 09-12-18, 06:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,300 Posts

The solution to every problem is more microprocessors. MOAR.
Old 09-12-18, 06:22 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

On the plus side, with this, you'd never have to worry about adjusting your mirrors incorrectly. Or even worry about adjusting them at all. Considering how many people out there don't know how to set their mirrors properly in the first place, I can see this being a safety improvement in a lot of ways.
Old 09-12-18, 06:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

The video shows the benefit when the car is on and in motion, namely zoom capability and a wider field of view than a mirror. However, car off (to not drain battery), driver or passenger waiting in car in a parking lot, driveway, etc - how does one see at the side back, especially for a passenger?
Old 09-12-18, 06:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll respect your opinion on that, but every time I have reviewed or test-driven a recent Ford product, I have found it to be a very useful feature. Small stick-on round ones are available aftermarket, but the rectangular ones Ford uses at the factory cover a little more area....and they won't loosen and fall off.
If it works for someone else, then good for them. I don't personally like them. Give me a regular mirror and a BSM light and I'm good.
Old 09-12-18, 07:19 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I find the narrow vertical convex strip on the outside edge of my wife's 2013 Honda Accord to be incredibly and annoyingly distracting. I guess it is because it widens the angle only in one dimension -- only horizontally but not vertically -- and because there is only a thin black line (that is barely visible in a quick glance) as a border between the regular mirror and the wide-angle portion. So, as the view of the car in the next lane moves from one portion of the mirror to the other, it changes from regular view to this horribly-distorted, headache-inducing, horror-house mirror view.

I guess my wife has gotten used to it. But she has also installed the small, round, after-market convex mirrors on the lower, outside corner of both mirrors, as I have on my car, so she does not have to rely on it. I like these after-market ones much better, because they change the viewing angle equally in all dimensions, and with the obvious border between the regular mirror and the convex mirror, I can choose to focus on one mirror or the other.
Old 09-12-18, 11:48 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The video shows the benefit when the car is on and in motion, namely zoom capability and a wider field of view than a mirror. However, car off (to not drain battery), driver or passenger waiting in car in a parking lot, driveway, etc - how does one see at the side back, especially for a passenger?
Nice point. +1

I also want to add onto this. Does the Lexus ES feature the tech that warns you if an oncoming biker/car/runner is coming when the Lexus ES is off and parked? So you don't open the door and hit someone or get hit? A lot of people use the mirrors on the side to check for oncoming traffic before opening the door.
For this tech to work - you have to have this feature. Or it'll be a pain to get out of your car.

Quick Reply: 2019 Lexus ES is first mass-produced car to replace side mirrors with cameras