Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saw the UX in the Flesh...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 02:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
2 years from Rav4's launch is my feeling (i.e. Dec 2020).
98% of the time, a manufacturer will let a facelift vehicle live for a minimum of two model years. 2018 was the NX facelift, so figure 2020.
Old 09-14-18, 02:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
98% of the time, a manufacturer will let a facelift vehicle live for a minimum of two model years. 2018 was the NX facelift, so figure 2020.
Most mainstream Toyota products are on a 6-year cycle and the Lexus variants typically follow. For the NX: RAV4 '13-'18. NX '15-'20, so although no crystal ball, but history dictates a new NX for MY 2021 and from majority of recent Lexus launches, it's a Dec 2020 / Jan 2021 timeframe.

Back to the UX. Despite my relatively unfavorable impression of the prototype, reviews are very positive. They all seem to favor the nice interior, auto-CVT, handling, and (relative) room. So-so is power (expected) and NVH (not so expected) at higher revs.

Here's one: https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/arti...ource=carguide
Old 09-14-18, 03:55 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Most mainstream Toyota products are on a 6-year cycle and the Lexus variants typically follow. For the NX: RAV4 '13-'18. NX '15-'20, so although no crystal ball, but history dictates a new NX for MY 2021 and from majority of recent Lexus launches, it's a Dec 2020 / Jan 2021 timeframe.

Back to the UX. Despite my relatively unfavorable impression of the prototype, reviews are very positive. They all seem to favor the nice interior, auto-CVT, handling, and (relative) room. So-so is power (expected) and NVH (not so expected) at higher revs.
Thanks for the NX info.

So Is the UX still on your short list?

Old 09-14-18, 07:42 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Thanks for the NX info.

So Is the UX still on your short list?
No problem. NX is just an educated guess but I'm pretty confident it will be a MY 2021.

Every new Lexus always make my short list! Truth of the matter is that it would be my wife's car and downsizing two classes in size from the RX might be a bit much. She likes the RX, loves the NX (yes, she would go back to one), and is just "OK" with the UX we saw but white is her least favorite color. We'll see...!
Old 09-15-18, 04:51 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The Q3 appears to be superior to this UX. UX looks cheap, reminds me of the GLA which Just looks cheap and quirky.
Old 09-15-18, 07:06 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^Yeah agree, and I wasn't too impressed with the UX in person though in all fairness, it was a prototype. However, disappointments is the rear door panels are hard plastic (like the CT's) combine that with the lack of no premium trim components like aluminum or wood.

A couple nice features though are the available paper-like textured upper dash and the standard lit vent *****.

Old 09-15-18, 09:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

... combine that with the lack of no premium trim components like aluminum or wood.

forget wood and aluminum, how about back seats with only enough room for 2 year olds
Old 09-15-18, 05:08 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The Germans found a way to make even their smallest cars look expensive and upscale (if you've ever seen a Mini cooper up close you know what I mean). For some reason these new smaller Lexus models just look tacky an cheap. Looks like something an entry level Kia or Mazda would produce.
Old 09-15-18, 05:15 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The Germans found a way to make even their smallest cars look expensive and upscale (if you've ever seen a Mini cooper up close you know what I mean). For some reason these new smaller Lexus models just look tacky an cheap. Looks like something an entry level Kia or Mazda would produce.
The UX is an entry level Lexus and is aimed at the young, urban, and city folks. Dont bash the car just because you're not the target market.
Old 09-15-18, 06:22 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
The UX is an entry level Lexus and is aimed at the young, urban, and city folks. Dont bash the car just because you're not the target market.
Why not just brand it as a Toyota then? This kind of product is turning Lexus (who is already way behind the competition) into a joke.

Isn't this forum for us to give our opinions? Don't like my post, just move along pal. Bye.
Old 09-15-18, 06:58 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Why not just brand it as a Toyota then? This kind of product is turning Lexus (who is already way behind the competition) into a joke.

Isn't this forum for us to give our opinions? Don't like my post, just move along pal. Bye.
Because its not a Toyota. The big screen in the middle is a Lexus exclusive, along with other things. You can't say that the car is diluting the brand because the UX is still predominantly aimed towards the middle class, which is what all Lexus's and most luxury brands are aimed at. The car has things that makes it a Lexus.

Your opinion actually hurts the brand more than the actual car itself because when people read negative things about this particular car, they will form a negative image of the car. And your opinion is incorrect so it has to be called out as is before it does anymore damage

Originally Posted by bagwell
its called an opinion and mine is that I prefer without.....I mean its not original, its copying something else...why not be original?? not a big deal really but a small detail that I don't like.
Yea I know its an opinion from 10 miles away. You don't need to state that.

Ya know, when a car manufacturer spends the money to make a car safer, you should praise them for it, not bash them. Full width taillights are safer. Now thats not an opinion. Your eyes recognizes silhouettes/shapes much better. I had a lady almost rear end me because my taillights, which were not pressed at the time, blended in with the stoplights.

And they aren't copying each other. Only a hand full of cars have fullwidthtails because its extremely expensive to make the parts. You really don't have much design freedom when it comes to lights and what you see now is really the manufacturer letting their designers go at it.

Last edited by theory816; 09-15-18 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-15-18, 10:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Your opinion actually hurts the brand more than the actual car itself because when people read negative things about this particular car, they will form a negative image of the car. And your opinion is incorrect so it has to be called out as is before it does anymore damage
funniest thing i've read in a while, thanks.
so one opinion expressed on a car forum by someone who is presumably not a well known car journalist or reviewer can hurt the lexus brand and this model? Wow, who knew.
Old 09-15-18, 11:03 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
funniest thing i've read in a while, thanks.
so one opinion expressed on a car forum by someone who is presumably not a well known car journalist or reviewer can hurt the lexus brand and this model? Wow, who knew.
Lexus made the UX for a very specific market. Most of the people commenting here just don't fall under this targeted market. So it just don't make no sense to me to bash the car.

Last edited by theory816; 09-15-18 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 06:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

not really... according to literally every single journalist that reviewed UX, it has interior among the best or the best in the class.. that includes German journalists who mention that quality is top. But thats only around 50 available reviews? Maybe there will be one that thinks it sucks?

Honestly I dont think you have ever been in X1 if you think UX interior is not luxurious enough.

If UX is dilluting the brand, then you consider MB/Audi/BMW long dead as luxury brands, since their base vehicles (especially in Europe) are far behind the level of UX.
Old 09-16-18, 06:28 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

There is nothing luxurious about the UX, Lexus makes several flops, even the engine in my car is a flop. Luckily for me, this is a lease, you don't always have to defend Lexus. The A3 is superior and looks like a proper crossover, this UX is a CHR with lip stick. CHR is a crap box.

Quick Reply: Saw the UX in the Flesh...