Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-18, 01:56 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover

yup

around here in in the midst of all Tesla/Bentayga/Range Rover/Gwaggen, i need to buy a corolla hatchback to be exclusive
This is very true. Spotted this in the Home Depot parking lot this morning, lol. Any one of those vehiclescould have dented it with the doors.

Old 09-16-18, 08:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
In my experience, the problem with most electrics is still the limited range. The real world numbers rarely meet what the actual range that the manufacturer states. At least that was my experience when I rented one.
ambient temperature has a large effect on the batterys performance. Especially the cold. AAA found high ambient temps took 20% off the range, and cold temperatures took 30% off the range
Old 09-18-18, 11:30 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

It's amazing to me that a car with no dashboard that requires you to constantly look AWAY from the road in order to see common references stats for speed, charge, ambient temperature, etc. is outselling a BMW 3 Series which has none of those problems and probably has better build quality.

Not to mention that you can ALWAYS go to BMW and order parts for a BMW even if you do not provide a VIN number. Just give them a part number and see if it's in stock or not. Tesla... not so much.

I am happy that Tesla is gaining on things and will probably make it and I'm glad to see another big player in the market. EV technology in general makes me enthusiastic.

But just the same as the extreme popularity of crossovers, CUVs and SUVs are to me so is the popularity of an EV that more or less is designed to de-emphasize the role of the driver and which just so happens to correlate with a down-tick in BMW 3 Series sales. You know... the gold standard of luxury sport sedans that are supposedly for people who like to drive.

That statistical correlation boggles the mind but there it is. Weird.
Old 09-19-18, 07:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It's amazing to me that a car with no dashboard that requires you to constantly look AWAY from the road in order to see common references stats for speed, charge, ambient temperature, etc. is outselling a BMW 3 Series which has none of those problems and probably has better build quality.

Not to mention that you can ALWAYS go to BMW and order parts for a BMW even if you do not provide a VIN number. Just give them a part number and see if it's in stock or not. Tesla... not so much.

I am happy that Tesla is gaining on things and will probably make it and I'm glad to see another big player in the market. EV technology in general makes me enthusiastic.

But just the same as the extreme popularity of crossovers, CUVs and SUVs are to me so is the popularity of an EV that more or less is designed to de-emphasize the role of the driver and which just so happens to correlate with a down-tick in BMW 3 Series sales. You know... the gold standard of luxury sport sedans that are supposedly for people who like to drive.

That statistical correlation boggles the mind but there it is. Weird.
BMW sales actually increased last month, so clearly sales of 3 series and Model 3 have little correlation.
Old 10-19-18, 01:12 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tesla launches $45,000 dollar Model 3

Tesla on Thursday introduced a new $45,000 version of its Model 3 sedan on its website, launching the car as U.S. tax breaks for Tesla cars are about to decrease.

According to the website, the rear-wheel-drive model has a "midrange" battery, a range of 260 miles, 50 miles less than the long-range battery that the more expensive Model 3 is equipped with.

The new version has a delivery period of six to 10 weeks, according to the website, which would make customers eligible for the current $7,500 U.S. tax credit if they take delivery by the end of the year. The tax credit for Tesla cars will drop by half on Jan. 1, then by half again in mid-2019.

Although Tesla has promised a base-level version of the Model 3 priced at $35,000, so far the company has produced only higher-cost versions starting at about $49,000. Tesla has said it will not manufacture the base-level version of the Model 3 this year.

Adding the mid-priced version of the Model 3 appears to be a strategic way to lure possible buyers who had been waiting for the lower-priced car. It is not clear how many of the more than 400,000 reservations for the Model 3 are for the base models.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/18/...021&yptr=yahoo

I have always been annoyed by the sleezy marketing of Tesla prices. They give you a "after incentives and gas savings price" as the sticker price. Lol.
I love how they calculate the gas savings for you to make the car appear cheaper so you'll buy it.

Majority of the population is still waiting on that 35K Model 3 that was promised since launch but never sold.
Old 10-19-18, 03:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Whats the point of you starting a new thread bashing Tesla when you’re already doing it in the other 5 page one.

You must really hate this company......
Old 10-19-18, 09:38 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Whats the point of you starting a new thread bashing Tesla when you’re already doing it in the other 5 page one.

Firstly - I don't see how this thread is bashing Tesla. The main point is to show Tesla is pushing out a new 45K Model 3 that is RWD.

Secondly - I only left a personal commentary because its true - they tend do shady advertisement. I brought it up because the autoblog picture shows the sales price with "gas savings." What other car company does that? I don't see Toyota Prius show you a MSRP sticker price with gas savings calculated in?

Third - How am I bashing Tesla on the other thread? Because I called the Model 3 ugly? That's my opinion and I have a right to that. Because I say the Tesla is unreliable? That's just a fact.
Old 10-19-18, 09:40 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't see need for another Tesla thread considering the other one is still active.
Old 10-19-18, 10:01 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by plex
I don't see need for another Tesla thread considering the other one is still active.
I thought about putting this in the other Tesla thread but I feared it wouldn't make any sense.

Since the other thread is about sales numbers of Tesla, I didn't want to post something about Tesla introducing a new Model 3 trim level. As they are two different topics.

If a mod feels like its fine to have them both together, they can merge and I'll apologize. But my train of thought was that it was too different to be under 1 thread.
Old 10-19-18, 10:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

it is exactly what they do, it is not bashing... and there are so many owners that are missing their delivery times by Tesla right now, how in the world will anyone get these before end of the year? Another thread has link to Tesla forums about delivery issues.
Old 10-19-18, 02:40 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

And you must be drinking the Tesla Kool-Aid if you are that sensitive about it.
Old 10-19-18, 02:51 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is exactly what they do, it is not bashing... and there are so many owners that are missing their delivery times by Tesla right now, how in the world will anyone get these before end of the year? Another thread has link to Tesla forums about delivery issues.
Thank you! Its not bashing if its actually what they are doing.

Originally Posted by Sulu
And you must be drinking the Tesla Kool-Aid if you are that sensitive about it.
Thank you! I'm not sure why people get so aggressive over opinions about Tesla. I'm just posting what I see. Its not like I'm spewing random rumors.
Old 10-19-18, 03:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,039 Likes on 2,553 Posts

Do you ever plan on buying a Tesla?
Old 10-19-18, 03:46 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I do think the gas-savings bit is low. I mean you still have to charge the vehicle, inevitably at your own home at some point in time, which costs money.

But you also have to remember, even when the $35k model is available, that's the BASE model. No options. How many of those will actually be sold? The answer is, probably quite a few. With Tesla, you don't have a typical dealership experience. You order the car as you would want it. So in theory, you could actually see a $35k base model... after incentives, of course.
Old 10-19-18, 05:20 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Do you ever plan on buying a Tesla?
Are you asking me?

Yes. I'll consider it only once they fix the reliability issues, buying experience, and service experience.

Some notes on the service experience:
1) You have to wait months sometimes for you to fix the car at Tesla.
2) Very few mechanics are certificated to fix Teslas. This is a huge problem if you road trip and something goes wrong.
3) Majority of parts are only sold through Tesla.
4) If you service it through Tesla, you get a random Ford/Chevy as a loaner car instead of a Model 3 or equal value of car.

Originally Posted by arentz07
I do think the gas-savings bit is low. I mean you still have to charge the vehicle, inevitably at your own home at some point in time, which costs money.

But you also have to remember, even when the $35k model is available, that's the BASE model. No options. How many of those will actually be sold? The answer is, probably quite a few. With Tesla, you don't have a typical dealership experience. You order the car as you would want it. So in theory, you could actually see a $35k base model... after incentives, of course.
Yeah. The 35K model 3 will definitely be a popular choice. I'm still waiting for it to get here. The Model 3 has always been marketed as the cheap/mass market Tesla but yet the 35K model 3 is not even here yet.

Chances are - the 35K Model 3 might not end exist later on. It could be a bait and switch since incentives are going away now.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3