Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driving gently pays off

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 06:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Driving fast pays off...hear me out lol. Note: We all drive "aggressive". I have 4 friends that have been in accidents the past 1.5 years.

Friend #1 had 2 accidents. A FedEx truck hit him in traffic and the other he was doing 30 mph and a car made a u turn and they collided.

Friend #2 doing 60 on highway, road was wet ( not raining) and he hydroplaned hit the barrier.

Friend #3 going around a off ramp doing 40 mph and back tire blew out, slid off the road and into the grass. Broke 2 wheels.

Friend #4 was at a stand still and a car back into him.
All these accidents and they were going slow. So the theory is, drive fast and never get into an accident.

obviously not being serious lol.
I dunno. Chances of dying or serious injury is significantly less if you are not driving at excessive speeds. I mean, if you hit a light pole at 30mph, you are likely to have less injuries compared to hitting it at 50mph
Old 09-08-18, 06:35 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I dunno. Chances of dying or serious injury is significantly less if you are not driving at excessive speeds. I mean, if you hit a light pole at 30mph, you are likely to have less injuries compared to hitting it at 50mph
agree 100%. We just found it funny how all the accidents they have been in they were driving well below or at the speed limit.
Old 09-09-18, 09:42 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Scratching the car

How lucky he got there.

I don't want anything edge, sharp on my car, so no key fob will be on my car, but i did put my goggles on top of the trunk after mowing the lawn 2 times back to back (in 2 weeks) and crushed on the street. SMH... I am on my third pair now.
Old 09-09-18, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Exactly. Simple physics. I don't know why so many drivers have such a hard time accepting that fact. Kids learn it as far back as grade school.

Of course, different vehicles handle and absurd those crash forces in different ways, which is why the NHTSA and IIHS conduct the crash-tests with dummies. At the same speed and same impact, on the same object, you could have different results from different vehicles.
Old 09-09-18, 04:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Because its not as simple as that. You aren't driving in a vacuum the only person on the road. Of course your chances of being injured go up the faster you're going, but your chances of being in an accident in general go down the more closely you travel to the 85th percentile speed on a roadway.

So if you are on a highway going 55 and the 85th percentile speed is 75, you have a greater likelihood of being in an accident in general than if you were going 75.
Old 09-09-18, 04:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Because its not as simple as that. You aren't driving in a vacuum the only person on the road. Of course your chances of being injured go up the faster you're going, but your chances of being in an accident in general go down the more closely you travel to the 85th percentile speed on a roadway.

So if you are on a highway going 55 and the 85th percentile speed is 75, you have a greater likelihood of being in an accident in general than if you were going 75.
Not this again 👎. I purposely structured my earlier response only to refer to severity of crash and speed.
Old 09-09-18, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not this again ��. I purposely structured my earlier response only to refer to severity of crash and speed.
Agreed, but its the truth though. mmarshall's "I don't know why so many drivers have a hard time accepting that fact", the reason being is that from a practical real world standpoint it isn't true, because most accidents don't involve one car running into a pole, they involve one or more cars running into each other.
Old 09-09-18, 04:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, but its the truth though. mmarshall's "I don't know why so many drivers have a hard time accepting that fact", the reason being is that from a practical real world standpoint it isn't true, because most accidents don't involve one car running into a pole, they involve one or more cars running into each other.
The post that I originally responded to mentioned a lot of alone driving or stand still stuff. I honestly thought it was made up.
Old 09-09-18, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, there is some truth in that, but, the slower vehicles are going when they DO run into each other, Jill's point is made...the less damage there will be.

An excellent example is on the mountainous part of I-64 from VA into WV, which is a route that I know you travel regularly. That stretch of I-64 is notorious for major pile-ups, in low-visibility conditions, when dozens of vehicles add to the pile-up because they see it too late and can't stop in time because they are going too fast.
Old 09-09-18, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Simplistic thinking on what isn't a simple set of variables.
Old 09-10-18, 10:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I dunno, it's a delicate topic but imho religion doesn't have anything to do with the key fob, at least my point of view is such. Just physics.

Reminds me of when I had a g/f from VT back in the day, we would get off 87N for route 149. Everybody who skis Killington and lives to the south, like NYC/NJ knows this exit in the Lake George area. There's a fair amount of traffic so I had to get on it to make a left out of those shoppes, and there is this clinking sound all over the place. I say what the **** is that? She goes oh no, I left my change purse on the roof. I have no idea how we could be this stupid, but we attempted to pick up as many quarters as we could. Thinking back, even if it were say $15, based on the amount of traffic, let it go. I guess no miracles for us that day. Then again she was 23 and I was 25, so I guess money was tight.

Things remain on the roof, things fall off the roof, what you gonna do?