Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driving gently pays off

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-18, 04:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Driving gently pays off

My brother (who is four years younger than me) and I are both Christian believers, though he and his girl friend go to a different church than me (she is the Youth Minister there), and he is to the left of me in both religion and politics. But we both believe in miracles, and I think we saw one today. He's on his third Kia now, BTW (a 2017 Sportage SX, the top-level Sportage), and he loves it. His girl friend has a older Mini Cooper that has had the engine replaced under warranty....she put the big feminine eye-lashes on it, over the headlights, and the wind-up key that sticks out the rear end...funny to look at.

He called me up late this afternoon to tell me a remarkable story. He's usually very careful about his key/fob, but, while he was out shopping today, getting out of the car in the parking lot while shopping, when he went to lock the door, he couldn't find the key-fob, even after checking all of his pockets, the interior of the car, the trunk, and all of the cubbyholes/compartments carefully. Then, he remembered.....when loading or unloading, he sometimes sets the fob on the roof for a couple of seconds while his hands are full of packages. Sure enough.......there it was, still sitting on the roof, after he had driven some three miles since he had last started the engine. Although we both believe in miracles, I think that's also a testimony to the fact that my brother, like me, is a gentle, careful driver and doesn't throw a vehicle around. Normally, with most vehicles, the engine won't start (unless with a remote system) if the fob is not detected within a few feet of the ignition switch. Apparently, the Kia system allowed the engine to start with the fob on the roof, but still within the (required) few feet of the ignition switch. If it had fallen off while he was driving, not only would he have lost the fob, but the engine might have also quit in the middle of traffic (some systems are programmed to do that as an anti-theft measure), and if that had happened, he might have lost both power steering and power brakes.

Anyhow, I'm glad it worked out for him. We all make mistakes once in a while, and it's sure nice to have someone Upstairs looking out for you. And, yes.......careful driving pays.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-01-18 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 04:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting story.

I guess part of the advantage of having a physical key is that you can’t go anywhere without the key in the actual key hole.
Old 09-01-18, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Interesting story.

I guess part of the advantage of having a physical key is that you can’t go anywhere without the key in the actual key hole.

Yes, but GM's old system, years ago, was a PITA (my old Buick from college had it....one of the few things on that car I didn't like). You had two separate keys....one for the doors/trunk and another for the ignition. And the GM keys were flimsy, made of thin lightweight metal, and bent rather easily. Ford and Chrysler keys were not only more durable, but used only one for both functions. And Ford, at that time, was the only major automaker where you could insert the key either way....it was unidirectional (Ford's advertising, like with the quiet-ride issue, made a big deal of that)

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-01-18 at 05:39 PM.
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Sitting the fob on the roof Break that habit. While cruising threw an intersection once I noticed what looked like a wallet on the street so I turned back and picked it up. It was a wallet that belonged to a police officer with the badge missing. I reached out and returned the wallet that he said he put on the roof.
I keep a back up on board just in case my fob is not available.
Old 09-01-18, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tecman
Sitting the fob on the roof
People often do that with non-tethered gas caps when refueling.......set them on the roof or trunk (or on the gas pump itself). That's why the capless system that Ford came up several years ago (now also used by GM) was a good idea.

While cruising threw an intersection once I noticed what looked like a wallet on the street so I turned back and picked it up. It was a wallet that belonged to a police officer with the badge missing. I reached out and returned the wallet that he said he put on the roof.
That should be good for a discount off your next ticket LOL

Break that habit
Yes, I think my brother has learned his lesson. One cannot necessarily depend on the same miracle over and over.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-01-18 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

my fob stays in only one of two places: my front pocket or one hook in the house. don't need a miracle.
Old 09-01-18, 09:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
don't need a miracle.
........Famous last words. You just might one day. We all make an error once in a while. My brother, at least, acknowledges when he does. And I wouldn't have wasted my time opening the thread if I didn't think it was a good story to print.
Old 09-01-18, 10:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I think we’ve started dramatically overstating what amounts to a “miracle” today.

Everytime me you get lucky it isn’t a “miracle”. “God” doesn’t help you not loose your keys.

I really had to go to the bathroom today and there was only one roll of toilet paper left in the bathroom. Was that a “miracle”too?

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-01-18 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 10:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Odd the car started without the fob inside the car. Usually, I find the proximity sensor to be very sensitive. Ill have to try this with my car tomorrow
Old 09-01-18, 11:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Everytime me you get lucky it isn’t a “miracle”. “God” doesn’t help you not loose your keys.
I dunno. I think anyone driving with keys on their roof and not losing them could qualify as a miracle. At least in the context of cars and on a car forum.
Old 09-02-18, 03:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think we’ve started dramatically overstating what amounts to a “miracle” today.
Everytime me you get lucky it isn’t a “miracle”.

Luck plays a role. But luck is not limitless.

I really had to go to the bathroom today and there was only one roll of toilet paper left in the bathroom. Was that a “miracle”too?
Well, among others, it depends on two factors.........One, the size of the roll, and, Two, whether you had just eaten at Chipolte's.
Old 09-02-18, 03:40 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with op. If my mother taught me anything, its to always do things with touch of gentleness.
Old 09-02-18, 06:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Wait until you and your brother get a few years older. You'll need "miracles " all of the time to help remember where you put things and what you did yesterday.
Old 09-02-18, 07:58 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

When did friction became a miracle?

Quick Reply: Driving gently pays off