Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Acura NSX gets a refresh

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 06:16 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
If NSX interior doesn't satisfy your criteria I hope you never sit down inside McLaren Now that thing is dead awful almost like Lotus, no wonder they go fast when they are like go-carts inside with two screens attached.

R8 has the best interior layout and quality wise. NSX in my opinion is on level with Porsche, both have '00s inspired cockpit layout but with satisfying fit and finish.
Not only have i sat in McLaren, i have driven them too.
You must not have seen the latest 720s or 570s - great interiors with modern tech.
I have driven the 991 Porsche MANY times as my brother has one. Its interior is on another planet compared to NSX. The fit finish and quality is impeccable. Not to mention the million choices in spec you can order to your desires.

NSX has an interior similar to Corvette.
Old 08-25-18, 06:23 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

This is C7 Vette and NSX - almost identical.
Interior use lots of switchgear from Chevy and Honda.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-25-18 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-25-18, 09:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
This car is overpriced trash...
ok then...

Old 08-25-18, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This car is overpriced trash,

if it wasn't maybe they would sell more than 5 a month
An NSX is overpriced trash? Well, I'm not into sports cars myself, but there are certainly a number of people who are, who would disagree with you. And the fact that the NSX is a very low-volume seller does not necessarily mean that it is junk and not worth what it costs.
Old 08-25-18, 11:14 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
An NSX is overpriced trash? Well, I'm not into sports cars myself, but there are certainly a number of people who are, who would disagree with you. And the fact that the NSX is a very low-volume seller does not necessarily mean that it is junk and not worth what it costs.
There are plenty of people out there spending 150-200k on sports cars every month. The fact that it doesn't sell (3 units last month, worst selling car in America??) and it's not due to production constraints would be the very definition that it's not worth what it costs.

Think about it, if Lexus tried charging 200k for the LS500, sales would be practically zero. Why? It's not worth that kind of money.

Why do people pay $20k for the opportunity to buy a 911 GT3 at full MSRP? Because it is worth the price.
Old 08-25-18, 12:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

well, Honda is known for making some of the greatest engines of all time....Toyota not so much.
2JZ is better than anything Honda has ever built. 1LR-GUE is a masterpiece.
Old 08-25-18, 03:24 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You have to wonder how sales would have gone for this car if it wasn’t a hybrid and was $50k less expensive.

They made a more expensive GTR, no one was asking for that.
Old 08-25-18, 08:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

What is so special about a turbo V6 if you remove the hybrid system that is useless?

Your comment about Ferrari interior shows you haven’t sat or driven any Ferrari that came out in past 10 years.

The cars in NSX price range - 911, R8, AMG GT have vastly superior interior quality and technology.
It is a totally bespoke engine, shares no parts with any Honda/Acura, it is basically a detuned race engine, has a unique 75 deg block, cast by Cosworth.

911, R8, AMG don't have anywhere near the technology a NSX has, interiors aren't that great either. What is so special about a Ferrari interior aside from the controls on the steering wheel, have you operated the switches and buttons, they feel pretty cheap and don't seem that well put together like most Italian cars. I am not a fan of carbon fiber trim in interiors so it does not do much for me, the leather is nice but I just don't think Ferrari interiors are that special, older ones like in the 90's to 10 years ago are downright cheap, quality is horrible
Old 08-25-18, 08:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

There are plenty of people out there spending 150-200k on sports cars every month. The fact that it doesn't sell (3 units last month, worst selling car in America??) and it's not due to production constraints would be the very definition that it's not worth what it costs.

Think about it, if Lexus tried charging 200k for the LS500, sales would be practically zero. Why? It's not worth that kind of money.

Why do people pay $20k for the opportunity to buy a 911 GT3 at full MSRP? Because it is worth the price.
Porsche has decades or history and have built up a image no Japanese company can touch, that is why people pay so much for 911's that are in many cases way overpriced.

Old 08-25-18, 08:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

lol ok man, fine, looks are subjective. The crap obviously American interior, lack of a third pedal, and cosworth engine (7500 redline lol) are not.

And yes I know they assemble the parts from other companies to "make" the engine at a Honda plant in America. To me, that's not a real Honda engine.

The interior in the NSX is not crap, hardly any exotics have manuals anymore(are Ferrari's, Lambo's, Bugatti's, McLaren's, 918's, Ford GT, etc all crap because they don't have manuals? NSX has a excellent DSG, not a auto. The engine is cast by Cosworth, it is still a Honda design and built by Honda. Turbo engines don't have very high redlines, they don't need them. Many engines have roots from other manufacturers, LFA is Yamaha, GTR engine Cosworth, McLaren F1 BMW, could have been Honda if they agreed, etc.
Old 08-25-18, 08:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

so did you think the LFA was 'overpriced trash' because it didn't sell great either? Just to be clear, I think the LFA is an automotive masterpiece.
Old 08-26-18, 09:11 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
It is a totally bespoke engine, shares no parts with any Honda/Acura, it is basically a detuned race engine, has a unique 75 deg block, cast by Cosworth.

911, R8, AMG don't have anywhere near the technology a NSX has, interiors aren't that great either. What is so special about a Ferrari interior aside from the controls on the steering wheel, have you operated the switches and buttons, they feel pretty cheap and don't seem that well put together like most Italian cars. I am not a fan of carbon fiber trim in interiors so it does not do much for me, the leather is nice but I just don't think Ferrari interiors are that special, older ones like in the 90's to 10 years ago are downright cheap, quality is horrible
Have you personally sat in a new R8, 911 or AMG GT?
Have you Personally sat in a new NSX?

Your posts are of someone that has no personal experience with any of these cars.
NSX interior is straight out of TLX/MDX of last generation including the crappy NAV setup.

Please go to a Ferrari dealer and see how advanced the new cars are in tech.
The digital display alone is light years ahead of the NSX. The Italian leather quality and stitching are some of the finest in any production car.

You sound silly making your arguments about NSX.
Honda had to get Cosworth help them with the motor that with hybrid help is not even that powerful in today’s market. GTR made more power years ago without any hybrid crap. Ford GT has a real detuned race engine.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-26-18 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 09:48 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

Your posts are of someone that has no personal experience with any of these cars.
NSX interior is straight out of TLX/MDX of last generation including the crappy NAV setup.

The digital display alone is light years ahead of the NSX. The Italian leather quality and stitching are some of the finest in any production car.

Honda had to get Cosworth help them with the motor that with hybrid help is not even that powerful in today’s market. GTR made more power years ago without any hybrid crap. Ford GT has a real detuned race engine.
You're not right about the NSX interior. And yes, I've been in several. You are right that things like navigation software are too obviously shared, but the interior otherwise is unique to the car. I agree a modern Ferrari interior is nicer, but even a Portofino starts at roughly 60K more than the NSX, and the 488 around 100K more. And if you look hard enough you're going to find some FCA parts/tech sharing in even those.

You're also overlooking that the electric powertrain supplementing the ICE isn't about horsepower. It's about supplementing torque and enabling the dynamic handling - there is a reason pretty much every review highlights the NSX' ability to turn in and in particular power out of a corner with the torque vectoring and yaw control that are enabled by the electric motors.

The NSX hasn't been a sales success, granted, but that doesn't negate its abilities.

Last edited by swajames; 08-26-18 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 10:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I have sat in all of them, you and some others sound silly by saying the things you are saying about the new NSX and totally dismissing such a great car, sounds like you are the one that never sat in it or know anything about it.

The NSX interior does share some design bits and pieces with other Acura's because it is a Acura but it also has unique elements and it is all good to very good quality. Aston Martin's shared Ford switch gear, Maserati's share way too much Dodge/Chrysler switch gear/nav systems, Lambo's and R8 share Audi/VW switchgear, Ford GT interior shares Ford switch gear and the interior is downright cheap, it is uncomfortable, and much of its performance is no better then the NSX for so much more, Dodge Viper interior was horrible and cheap and shard parts with the cheapest Dodges but it was still good for what it was. The previous NSX interior was not some unique ground breaking design either, just had everything where you needed it and knew where it was and it all worked and was reliable unlike most other super cars. No gimmicks like putting the door unlock buttons over top the driver.

Ferrari's have nice aromatic leather and the current display may look nice, the Ferrari is also going to cost twice as much if not more then a NSX, will cost a fortune to maintain, and won't be anywhere near as reliable but I am not saying it is still not a great car.

NSX engine and performance is plenty powerful and competitive in today's market and the car with its setup would be easy to tune to get more if desired. GTR had tons of issues when it was released, especially launch issues with destroyed transmissions, 911 GT3's were burning to the ground when they were released, same with 458's in some cases, R8's have had tons of issues. I have not heard of any real issues with NSX's so far, Honda is not going to push the hp as much like the Europeans do and accept reliability issues whether new or down the line.
Old 08-26-18, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Porsche has decades or history and have built up a image no Japanese company can touch, that is why people pay so much for 911's that are in many cases way overpriced.
Speaking from more generality of the automotive landscape, European cars specifically luxury or sport niche automakers have built up an image and power of a badge that NO other continent / country can touch. Japanese, American, Korean etc..

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura NSX gets a refresh