Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What market is there for luxury wagons? Pretty much everybody who offered one in the US has discontinued it.
One of the rare exceptions, of course, is the Subaru Outback, which remains immensely popular, though I agree it would probably be a stretch to call even the top-dog versions (such as the former L.L. Bean model, if you remember it) a true luxury wagon, which it is not. But, nevertheless, the L.L. Bean model was pretty classy inside and out.
Old 08-22-18, 04:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMau
SW17LS: Perhaps if you studied the market? Look at the newest high end wagons coming. Lexus is already late for this and about to be left snoozing.
I have spent a lot of time studying the market. There are a few high end wagons out there, but these are wagons that are sold in Europe where they are quite popular, they're selling them in the US as a sort of niche market and they don't have to sell many of them to make them worthwhile. Lexus isn't in this position because they don't have high sales in Europe where wagons are popular.

Wagons are not popular in the US. Theres no shift towards wagons in the US.
Old 08-22-18, 04:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One of the rare exceptions, of course, is the Subaru Outback, which remains immensely popular, though I agree it would probably be a stretch to call even the top-dog versions (such as the former L.L. Bean model, if you remember it) a true luxury wagon, which it is not. But, nevertheless, the L.L. Bean model was pretty classy inside and out.
Buick just began offering the Tour X wagon in the U.S. (yes, I realize it's an Opel platform ) but I wouldn't classify it as a luxury wagon - Maybe premium. I'm not sure how sales are as GM doesn't post them monthly anymore. It seems like it will be a tough sell here. At least they have it available which is a good thing IMO.
Old 08-22-18, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Buick just began offering the Tour X wagon in the U.S. (yes, I realize it's an Opel platform ) but I wouldn't classify it as a luxury wagon - Maybe premium. I'm not sure how sales are as GM doesn't post them monthly anymore. It seems like it will be a tough sell here. At least they have it available which is a good thing IMO.
Yep, I'm well-familiar with the Tour X Wagon....I did a review on it not that long ago. Nice car (and I could see myself driving one), but I can guarantee that its American-market sales won't touch the Outback's. The Outback, despite its Japanese nameplate is, an American institution....it is even built in Indiana.

BTW, just FYI, the Tour-X is more than just an Opel platform. it is a virtually 100% rebadged left-hand-drive German Opel Insignia wagon, differing from the German version in little more than the Buick tri-shield, color of the dash-lights, and some minor trim pieces. (not even any Buick portholes LOL).

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The more I think about the OT issue, though, the more it seems one possible idea just might (?) make some sense. Most of us agree that a full-size traditional Lexus pickup would probably be unfeasible, but how about a 4-door version of a mid-sizer, with a short bed on the back....sort of like a luxury version of something like the old Ford Explorer Sport-Trac.? That would remove the stigma of it being a big work-truck with a Lexus nameplate on it. It would allow owners to carry 4-5 people, inside, in better-than average comfort and luxury (plush seats, wood/leather trim, etc.....) and allow the practicality of the bed in back for carrying things like reasonably-sized furniture and other loads. The suspension could be softened a little for better comfort....at the expense of maybe a slight reduction in load-capacity. It would probably be Tacoma-based....which may be a good thing, because IMO the Toyota version of the Tacoma is cheap inside and not very impressive, and it could use some work in those departments.
Old 08-22-18, 05:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The more I think about the OT issue, though, the more it seems one possible idea just might (?) make some sense. Most of us agree that a full-size traditional Lexus pickup would probably be unfeasible, but how about a 4-door version of a mid-sizer, with a short bed on the back....sort of like a luxury version of something like the old Ford Explorer Sport-Trac.? That would remove the stigma of it being a big work-truck with a Lexus nameplate on it. It would allow owners to carry 4-5 people, inside, in better-than average comfort and luxury (plush seats, wood/leather trim, etc.....) and allow the practicality of the bed in back for carrying things like reasonably-sized furniture and other loads. The suspension could be softened a little for better comfort....at the expense of maybe a slight reduction in load-capacity. It would probably be Tacoma-based....which may be a good thing, because IMO the Toyota version of the Tacoma is cheap inside and not very impressive, and it could use some work in those departments.
I don't see the point. Ford dropped the Sport Trac...the market for a truck like that is limited, especially in a luxury marque.
Old 08-22-18, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't see the point. Ford dropped the Sport Trac...the market for a truck like that is limited, especially in a luxury marque.

Well, the Sport Trac had several competitors in its price class. A Lexus mid-sized equivalent probably wouldn't....at least for now. I still think it would make more sense than the OT...a Lexus-rebadged Tundra.
Old 08-22-18, 06:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lack of competitors doesn't mean much if theres no demand.

I think Toyota is just best to leave trucks to Toyota.
Old 08-22-18, 07:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think people who are calling the Cadillac EXT a failure are wrong. The EXT and Avalanche need to be viewed upon hand in hand. Just like a Land Cruiser and LX. The Avanlanche/EXT survived 12 years which makes it pretty successful IMO. The recession killed the future development. Also, the Avalanche/EXT was technically a Suburban more than it was a Silverado.

Would a Lexus truck work, IMO. Absolutely.
Old 08-22-18, 07:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It appears there is flickering interest in luxury wagons but still low volume. The future of some wagons are questionable. Personally I hope as the CUV market matures and buyers start looking for attractive versatile alternatives that luxury wagons catch on again in the U.S.
The wagons in the North America markets for luxury brands are low volume, lots of profit. E class starts at $63K US and comes as 6 not a 4. AMG is $107K for the wagon. Definitely a worthwhile segment to make big money.

Originally Posted by RBigMau
SW17LS: Perhaps if you studied the market? Look at the newest high end wagons coming. Lexus is already late for this and about to be left snoozing.
Lexus could pull it off with a ES wagon. Maybe a GS too. Thing for Lexus would be to make the ES wagon available in the European markets as well.

However, Toyota does like to force you into a RX if you want AWD.
Old 08-22-18, 07:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-22-18 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then why don’t they make an Escalade EXT or Avalanche any longer?

In order to make a wagon work it’s gotta sell in Europe, otherwise the volumes aren’t there just looking st the US. If the ES takes off in Europe you might just see that, otherwise I’ll Buy you a Lexus wagon too if they make one of those lol
Old 08-22-18, 08:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

tl;dr for the thread but my answer (opinion) on the subject is no. make that hell no. lexus does not have any shred of a 'rugged' reputation. it makes about as much sense as a full size volvo pickup. bad idea.
Old 08-22-18, 08:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lexus does not have any shred of a 'rugged' reputation.
Thats not true. Lexus GX and LX have rugged reputations for being good off roaders. Our 450 is a solid front axle design as well. Past Lexus models used to co e with locking differentials as well

Old 08-22-18, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

the 450 was (is) a tank, a slightly upgraded landcruiser. respectully yours is 22 years old though so not very relevant to product decisions now. the current lx570 is less off road capable than previous versions and while it has great towing capacity, i highly doubly any see any serious off roading in north america.

however, lexus u.s. website says it's rugged, so there is that

The 2018 Lexus LX 570 is a rugged and capable off-road giant disguised as an elegant, sophisticated 3-row luxury SUV.
now their page is pushing the 2 row instead presumably since it's cheaper but the 2 row still STARTS at 86k.

Quick Reply: Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?