Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 01:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Seems like the real trucks are ridiculously upscale now, for example, a loaded '19 RAM 1500. So I would say no, Lincoln and Caddy already tried.

I saw a YouTube where the guy pointed out that one side had chrome trim and the other black on the '19 RAM, and his wife noticed after they brought it home! But 12" screen in a work truck is nice.
Would you sell or look at your 430 differently if there was a Lexus Truck?
Old 08-21-18, 01:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I've quickly dismissed this idea in the past, but I'm starting to come around to the idea. They would have to price it very carefully, as the Tacoma and Tundra already get pretty pricey. I'd see a better chance with the Tacoma size vs. a full size, as there are plenty of very luxuriously optioned full size trucks out there, but nothing in the mid size pickup range. Hmmm...dunno. It would probably sell, but I'm not sure that it would in substantial numbers.
Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Exactly. A fully loaded Ford F-450 Limited is now over the six-figure mark.
So, rethinking the question of the thread. I think the question of "Compared to Ford, Dodge and GM and factoring out HD, Why can't Toyota charge $65K or more for their 1500 current Tundra?" <<<This would need to be answered first before a business case for a Lexus truck could be made. I am going to change my opinion to not sure just yet.
Old 08-21-18, 01:58 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

I don't know that a Lexus pickup would sell, but I think it would be interesting if Toyota considered a slightly higher scale model based off of the LandCruiser. The Land Cruiser is a step up (in most ways) from the Sequoia - so why not offer a pick up that's a step up from the Tundra and base it on the LandCruiser platform? Most people know and respect the history of the LandCruiser as a very rugged and reliable vehicle - seems that may fit well in the upper tier pick up line.
Old 08-21-18, 02:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I don't know that a Lexus pickup would sell, but I think it would be interesting if Toyota considered a slightly higher scale model based off of the LandCruiser. The Land Cruiser is a step up (in most ways) from the Sequoia - so why not offer a pick up that's a step up from the Tundra and base it on the LandCruiser platform? Most people know and respect the history of the LandCruiser as a very rugged and reliable vehicle - seems that may fit well in the upper tier pick up line.
any truck by Toyota or Lexus would have to be an American made and designed for America. Land Cruiser is too world market
Old 08-21-18, 02:07 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

any truck by Toyota or Lexus would have to be an American made and designed for America. Land Cruiser is too world market
How are you defining "designed for America"? What gives the Land Cruiser part of its appeal is its performance in harsh environment and terrain across the world plus it having a level of status that goes along with such a ruggedly-capable vehicle (a rare mix to have status plus rugged capability). I think that aspect would be appealing to customers.
Old 08-21-18, 02:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
How are you defining "designed for America"? What gives the Land Cruiser part of its appeal is its performance in harsh environment and terrain across the world plus it having a level of status that goes along with such a ruggedly-capable vehicle (a rare mix to have status plus rugged capability). I think that aspect would be appealing to customers.
Any truck needs to appeal to those buying Ford, GM or Dodge trucks. They are all bigger than worldwide trucks. Land Cruiser is not exactly the full size of a Tahoe, Expedition or Sequoia. and truthfully, those buying Fords, GM, or Dodge trucks really don’t care about the Land Cruiser heritage etc etc. A Raptor or Power Wagon would put the current Land Cruiser to shame off the parh. I really like Toyota, but the current Tundra has not been that successful IMO.
Old 08-21-18, 02:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

IHave you ever been to a Mercedes-Benz dealer that has the Sprinter or the base Metrias in stock? Or a B-class Mercedes.
I have, in fact to look at a Metras to buy.

Its an entirely different consumer. The Sprinter and Metras don’t sell to a luxury car consumer, they are commercial vehicles and the odd unusual huge family that might look at a Sprinter. They aren’t even held in the same showroom/area of the dealer.

Mercedes has a huge commercial division that we rarely see in the US, that’s where those vehicles come from. We’re not talking about a Lexus commercial pickup here.
Old 08-21-18, 02:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So what difference would it make to you if Lexus sold a high luxury pick up?
Old 08-21-18, 04:32 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would need to be more than a scooped out GX. Something funky and futuristic, but also stylish. ...take the first gen. Ridgeline, put a Lexus badge on it and plop the 3.5L and 6AT and it will blend right into the rest of the lineup...
Old 08-21-18, 06:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

So what difference would it make to you if Lexus sold a high luxury pick up?
It wouldn't, I just don't think theres a market for it. I'd rather see them put resources into vehicles there are markets for, like better quality crossovers based on the better RWD GA-L platform vs FWD Toyota powertrain models. Better crossover flagship a'la Range Rover or the new upcoming Audi Q8. Those are vehicles I would buy, vs today where Lexus legitimately does not make one vehicle I would buy.

Most of the things we discuss in the Car Chat forum don't make a difference to us individually, but we still discuss them...thats the point of the forum.

As for the Metras, I wound up buying a Ford Transit Connect. The Metris is not a luxurious vehicle, nor is the Sprinter, they aren't supposed to be. They're commercial vans.

Metris:

A pickup is just a different sort of vehicle than vehicles in other segments. Buyers are SUPER brand loyal, they tend to exclusively buy pickup trucks...its just not a "luxury" consumer, even though the price point is the same. An American style pickup truck also is only sold in America, which would limit its volume and how much return they would make on its development. Luxury trucks are really a 1/2 ton thing, and they only sell about 115k Tundras as it is. How many Lexus Tundra variants might they sell?

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-21-18 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-21-18, 09:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Kill it with fire then nuke it from orbit just to be sure.
Old 08-22-18, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Kill it with fire then nuke it from orbit just to be sure.

A little extreme there in the opinion, isn't it?
Old 08-22-18, 06:32 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Exactly. A fully loaded Ford F-450 Limited is now over the six-figure mark.
No it's not. If you tick every single option box and add every single accessory that doesn't conflict with another one (always choosing the most expensive option when there are conflicts), you get to $95k. And have a bizarrely-configured truck that no one would buy.
Old 08-22-18, 06:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Would you sell or look at your 430 differently if there was a Lexus Truck?
Long story short, no. If Lexus wanted to do something like an Escalade EXT, I wouldn't look at them differently, but I don't think it would be a good seller. Land Cruiser? That's another story, that will always remain iconic.

I was thinking about this last week.....assuming resources are limited, which they are for normal people....if you could only have 10 cars (not realistic but 10), would you keep all of the cars that you have today?

For me, I would keep the 2006 LS430, and 2007 335i, all else goes (leaving room for another 8). I think these are two cars every stable of 10 should have. If the number is reduced to 5? The LS430 is out. It really is a poorly handling car, the skidpad was .73g, that's awful bordering on unacceptable. I don't have a "sport" LS, but I can't see how different shocks/springs/sway bars can do much to the .73g. Then again, it's not designed to handle anyway....if one wants a Lexus pickup, why not just get a loaded Toyota? Though you're just not going to be able to park in the lot at the union hall (I asked about this on another forum and was told you don't do that, you would have to park on the street, but nobody is going to beat you up or anything).
Old 08-22-18, 06:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
No it's not. If you tick every single option box and add every single accessory that doesn't conflict with another one (always choosing the most expensive option when there are conflicts), you get to $95k. And have a bizarrely-configured truck that no one would buy.
I think when you go beyond F250, the vehicle inherently exists to do work. Even 250 is such. I watched vlogs where they towed 28,000 lbs. and the pickups were doing 3 mpg. Why would a vehicle like that need to be optioned out like say the 1500 RAM that I saw, was? Not everybody wants to be that way. It's like being in MASS and anchoring your 60'+ Sea Ray right next to a fisherman (who fishes as their livelihood) and not having a care in the world even as they curse at you. I'm sure decked out trucks come across that way to some...

Quick Reply: Would a Lexus Pickup Make Sense for the U.S.?