Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Servicing a Lexus LFA Is Incredibly Complicated and Fascinating

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-18, 06:10 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx

x is 44 so they still have them beat but while impressive I still which they would have come out with a newer v6 already. I guess I can live with it now since I just got my Gs so I’m not gonna get a new one for a while.
Sky-active-X is not in production and it seems way too complicated to be mass produced. Dynamic force by Toyota is simple novel tech that is delivering performance and hybrid like economy in the real world so. A25A-FKS in the new Camry is achieving 40-45 mpg highway at 70-80mph. Also V10 in the LFA is a through bred Race Engine, so cannot be compared to a mass produced engine.
Old 08-09-18, 07:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
That was my question too. It's pretty cool that one leaky seal was the only problem with this one... I remember Lexus reps telling me the LFA they had in Torrance, which got beat on all the time didn't need anything but fluid changes and I think brakes. The biggest issue was the drivers side seat bolster had started to wear, ha ha! Completely different than any other exotic! Ha ha!
yes very impressive. While there is debate as to whether a porsche is an 'exotic' they're typically very reliable too, and also have hellishly expensive service!
Old 08-10-18, 10:18 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Very interesting story. I find it interesting that the Lexus supercar is being serviced at a high performance center in Germany.

This is the Toyota Motorsports headquarters in Cologne. It's where all expertise on anything pragmatic to do with motorsports within Toyota is centralized. For example, any significant repair on the carbonfiber on any LFA - worldwide - is done there.

Originally Posted by baconRx
I’m not sure how any normal technician would feel comfortable working on this. While I’m sure there are the very best out there, just knowing this beautiful thing was put together by hand by perfectionists with a step by step checklist should be very intimidating.

There is a separate certification to qualify Lexus technicians for LFA service. I've interacted with the master tech at my local dealership who is LFA certified and services my LFA, and there is lots to the certification and so I don't have any hesitation over it. Yes, it'd probably be better overall if one single master tech serviced every LFA in existence, but that's not pragmatically feasible - and I wouldn't be willing to pay the extra cost for it.

Last edited by gengar; 08-10-18 at 10:23 PM.