Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus send me 2.9% 60 mo for a new LS500 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-18, 10:48 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The question becomes, how much do looks matter? Should a buyer compromise? We all remember that Sopranos scene where Phil Leotardo talks about compromise! (that tissue comment cracks me up to this day)
Yes looks matter for sure.

A flagship sedan that costs near 6 figures needs to look the part.
The LS looks confused - it wants to still be a flagship but with a sporty / coupe elements - well the end result is it fails at both.
There is really nothing appealing about the design, powertrain or features compared to its existing competition.

To me G90 has more prescence, although its a more conservative design, it will also age much better.
Old 08-11-18, 11:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I don’t see that 2.9% as an incentive to purchase, as my local CU has a current rate of 2.74% for up to 65 mos. I’m sure there are better rates than that out there. I would be more interested in any rebates or cash discounts.
I would bet you that many shoppers see the LFS 2.9% and just "assume" it's a deal, without comparison shopping. Just like the no haggle dealership "deals".
Old 08-11-18, 11:33 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I’m taking notes on this thread

Years of college and I’m still horrible at finance. At the end of the day, I believe everyone wants to feel good about a major purchase [particularly a depreciating asset] despite your ability to pay for it. It’s no longer a question of whether you can afford a new car, it’s about the best way to attain that new car.
Old 08-11-18, 11:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion
I’m taking notes on this thread

Years of college and I’m still horrible at finance. At the end of the day, I believe everyone wants to feel good about a major purchase [particularly a depreciating asset] despite your ability to pay for it. It’s no longer a question of whether you can afford a new car, it’s about the best way to attain that new car.
Its still about whether you can afford it LOL. Don't mistake those of us who advocate getting what you want for saying "just do whatever you want". I drove cars for years that were great cars but not exactly what I wanted, and even today if you asked me what car I really wanted its not the car I'm driving (the car I'm driving is an awesome car don't get me wrong), and I make a lot of income.

My opinion is, if you want something, and you can afford to get it/do it without hurting yourself or your family financially, go for it. Cars aren't keeping me from investing, saving for retirement, kids educations, eating, etc. They shouldn't do that for anybody IMHO.

The bottom line is there is ALWAYS something better, something aspirational that you want or will want. The more you have, the more you'll want. The more you make, the more you'll want. There always has to be restraint. There are lots of things I'd like to have and do, but I limit it to things I really want. I'd like to have a boat, but I don't "really want" a boat. I'd like to have a place at the beach, but I don't "really want" that. I do "really want" to have good cars, so I do.
Old 08-11-18, 12:05 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its still about whether you can afford it LOL. Don't mistake those of us who advocate getting what you want for saying "just do whatever you want". I drove cars for years that were great cars but not exactly what I wanted, and even today if you asked me what car I really wanted its not the car I'm driving (the car I'm driving is an awesome car don't get me wrong), and I make a lot of income.
understood. I guess what I meant to say is, most people who’ve begun the process of shopping for a new vehicle have already concluded that they can indeed afford said vehicle. For me, the anxiety begins when I have to choose the best method to attain this depreciating item. Do I use the cash I have in the bank? Do I take that low interest loan and hold on to my capital? etc....

So again, it’s not whether I can afford the vehicle I’ve eyed, it’s about the smart way to get it in my driveway. anyway, most of those scenarios have already been addressed in this thread and it’s been a real education for me. I struggled to stay awake when loan amortization was the topic in class lol.... Thanks guys.

Last edited by Propulsion; 08-11-18 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-11-18, 12:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Propulsion

understood. I guess what I meant to say is, most people who’ve begun the process of shopping for a new vehicle have already concluded that they can indeed afford said vehicle. For me, the anxiety begins when I have to choose the best method to attain this depreciating item. Do I use the cash I have in the bank? Do I take that low interest loan and hold on to my capital? etc....

So again, it’s not whether I can afford the vehicle I’ve eyed, it’s about the smart way to get it in my driveway. anyway, most of those scenarios have already been addressed in this thread and it’s been a real education for me. I struggled to stay awake when loan amortization was the topic in class lol.... Thanks guys.
Makes sense. I always approach it based on what is the least expensive way to attain the vehicle. For me its definitely to lease it. For one, I typically want a new vehicle every 3-4 years or so. Plus I can write the lease off my taxes as a business expense, so this tints things heavily in favor of leasing. The tax savings save me about 50% of the cost of leasing the vehicle.

If you're happy keeping the car longer than 5 years, then buying it might make more sense.

To me, paying cash never makes sense.

Old 08-11-18, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Totally depends on the credit union I'm sure.

Count me as one of the ones who never sell a car privately either.

Sometimes risky, if nothing else. An old friend of mine, years ago (against my recommendations) tried buying used cars, cheaply, at local auctions and re-selling them for a profit. He didn't even bother to get insurance on them while he opened them. A young kid came out to look at a Nissan Maxima my friend had put on the market, went with him on a test-drive, and, when they stopped to exchange seats, floored it and took off. My friend, of course, who probably was fortunate that he didn't get shot, had to eat the loss, since there was no insurance. Needless to say, he dropped the curbstoning business once and for all.
Old 08-11-18, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I just don't want to deal with test drives, waiting for funds to clear, etc etc
Old 08-13-18, 06:25 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Re private sales, depends on situation. If it is useful for sales tax savings on trade, and I receive a reasonable price I am fine with trading. However, I have sold two cars on Craigslist in the last few years, one was my wife's 06 Volvo S80 when we bought her the 13 ES300h. Dealer offered $3,500 for her car and I sold on Craigslist for $9,600. As an aside, the guy even gave me an extra $100 since I had been honest with him....he had the car checked out and I had already told him everything that was wrong with it. When I leased the 17 MDX last summer, the dealer offered me a fair price for my 11 MDX so I just sold to him.

Re the LS500, the "special offer" at the local dealer is 3.9% for 72 months, or $799 lease for 36 mos with $5,000 down. The lease offer says it already includes $2,000 of dealer lease incentive money, and is based on MSRP of $76,298.
Old 08-14-18, 12:37 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I finally saw an LS on the highway yesterday - it is a really awkward looking car from the side. The large wheel gap and small wheels on the one I saw really made it look ugly.
The G90 is a way superior design and looks like a flagship.
Saw one the other day too, looks way more premium than the Hyundai. The G90 looks like a hodgepodge of multiple brands that can't make up it's mind. The ugly grille is probably the worst part about it. It's like a cross between Cadillac and Kia K900 with an upside down grille.

I think it's funny people complain about wheel gap and smaller wheels/big profile tires but say it's too sporty or too cushy one way or the other. The base grille on the LS looks like a piece of art-work almost in the way it's weaved together. But hey, you're opinion is still cool to see.
Old 08-14-18, 05:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sometimes risky, if nothing else. An old friend of mine, years ago (against my recommendations) tried buying used cars, cheaply, at local auctions and re-selling them for a profit. He didn't even bother to get insurance on them while he opened them. A young kid came out to look at a Nissan Maxima my friend had put on the market, went with him on a test-drive, and, when they stopped to exchange seats, floored it and took off. My friend, of course, who probably was fortunate that he didn't get shot, had to eat the loss, since there was no insurance. Needless to say, he dropped the curbstoning business once and for all.
edit I wonder too if it's worth it to encounter strangers and attempt to sell a motor vehicle to them.

My brother is younger, but sometimes I feel like we had different parents. Our values are totally different. Yes, when I left home for college, he was 8 (10 yrs. younger). At the same time, my wife is his age and some of her first cousins were as young as 14 now about 24, when I met her. Oddly, their values are more aligned with me. Example, if my brother takes his truck in for service, and it's $1200 for brakes, he is ok with it. He said his father in law helped him put snow tires on his wife's Audi, and screamed at him the entire time why do you need snow tires etc. This is the guy who got laid off and works at BJs Warehouse. I said why let him scream at you, put the tires on yourself (he doesn't know how doesn't want to learn cuz I could easily show him--have offered).

Anyway, he has a coworker who has a different car every 2-3 weeks, claims he flips them for big money. I keep telling my bro you're impressed by a guy who throws away money. X5M, S600, Lexus LS, bro went with him to get a GS, motorcycles, tractors, blah blah blah. Then he introduces this dude to my mom? I'm like wth he's probably casing my mom's house why in the world would you tell him where our parents live?

I have a colleague who has a license to buy cars at auction. He said he probably loses a little money these days but he wants to maintain it so there is a minimum qty. per year. Basically said things have really changed with eBay, craigs list, etc. Used to be easy to make $$$, not anymore. This is why I don't think it's that easy. It's like the restaurant business, everyone wants to try it, > 75% fail....

Just on the BMW forum this guy is suing someone over turbos on a private party sale, 2 yrs. later? Who needs it (most of us think the claim is bogus, I would say "as is" on the bill of sale)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 08-14-18 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-14-18, 06:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I have a colleague who has a license to buy cars at auction. He said he probably loses a little money these days but he wants to maintain it so there is a minimum qty. per year. Basically said things have really changed with eBay, craigs list, etc. Used to be easy to make $$$, not anymore. This is why I don't think it's that easy.
That's capitlism, drive the lowest cost to the consumer, it shouldn't be easy for anyone getting an auction license to rake it in.
Old 08-14-18, 08:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

That's capitlism, drive the lowest cost to the consumer, it shouldn't be easy for anyone getting an auction license to rake it in.

I like how he was brutally honest about it, where this guy my brother works acts like he's raking it in and my brother is all impressed. We have so many tools today as a consumer that at least we can be moderately successful in getting better deals.

Used to have a colleague at work who would be testing different cars all the time. One day he was trying to sneak away with a M3 stick executive no sunroof (maybe '16?), and I caught him at lunch as he was pulling out and parked next to me. Have to admit that car looked sweet and like my brother, I was impressed lol

edit: p.s. when my buddy was trading in the Q5 in FLA, coworker said can you give me the VIN maybe I will buy it. My buddy wasn't interested because his wife just wanted to get a new car, not have a flatbed come, wait for funds, etc. But the fact that coworker considered it, I figured it helps him with his license as being another vehicle bought/sold....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 08-14-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 04:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

One of these cut me off yesterday, got it on the dash cam, very aggressive driver. I think this is only the 4th I have seen on the road, and I have to conclude seeing it in traffic, it's not an attractive car. It would be interesting to put it side by side with a Mazda 6, and besides being larger, might look very similar. Getting emails 3.9% for 72 mos. Interesting that someone would borrow for that long on a car...
Old 08-21-18, 05:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It would be interesting to put it side by side with a Mazda 6, and besides being larger, might look very similar. .
I have wondered this myself.

Quick Reply: Lexus send me 2.9% 60 mo for a new LS500 AWD