Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 10:50 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye

797-hp Redeye is the spawn of the Demon and Hellcat

The Demon has passed from us, but the Demon's spawn are here, so please allow them to introduce themselves. A new demi-Demon trim level has been anointed as the 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye. Plus there's an updated Challenger SRT Hellcat and new Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody. Like with the Charger introduced this morning, they have inherited some of the best parts from the Demon.

The Hellcat Redeye is possessed by the Demon's howling supercharged 6.2-liter Hemi, making 797 horsepower and 707 pound-feet of torque. Dodge proclaims it the "most powerful production V8" and "quickest production muscle car," with a 0-60 time of 3.4 seconds and quarter-mile time of 10.8 seconds at 131 mph. Top speed: 203 mph. Dodge can claim these superlatives, of course, because the 840-horsepower Demon's limited production run has ended.

The Hellcat Redeye's Hemi is paired with an eight-speed automatic. Dodge says the powerplant gets 25 major component upgrades, including a larger supercharger (2.7 liters, up from 2.4) with higher boost pressure (14.5 psi, up from 11.6), strengthened connecting rods, pistons and valve train, high-capacity fuel injection system and improved lubrication. It gets a second fuel pump and a higher redline of 6,500 rpm.

Theoretically, if you were someplace where you could operate at full throttle without letting up, Dodge says the Hemi would drain the fuel tank in under 11 minutes. Yet the car gets a 22 mpg highway rating from the EPA.

It also has the Torque Reserve system that starts building boost before launching, as well as the air conditioned intercooler to provide extra cool intake air. Both of these were features in the Demon. Furthermore, if the standard 2.62:1 final ratio isn't quick enough for you, Dodge offers a 3.09:1 rear axle.

The Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye also comes with the Demon and Hellcat Widebody's fat fender flares. It's an unsurprising inclusion, since you'll want as much tire as possible for all that power.

Now, a mere clear-eyed Challenger SRT Hellcat gets a 10-horse boost for 2019 to 717 horsepower, and a smidge more torque at 656 pound feet. A six-speed manual transmission is standard, and an eight-speed automatic is an option.

Both Hellcat models get the new dual-snorkel hood we've seen in spy shots. It's meant to evoke 1970s Dodge muscle cars. Dodge says the airflow from the hood alone reduces engine temperature by 4 degrees Fahrenheit. As before, the car gets airflow from other sources including the headlight bezels.

And how can you tell a Hellcat Redeye from a Hellcat at a glance, you might wonder? The Hellcat fender logo gets "a sinister red jewel-like eye design." The logo also appears as a new die-cast badge on the supercharger housing.

Dodge has also announced the Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody, which gets the same fender flares as the Hellcat Widebody. The extra 3.5 inches overall accommodate 305/35ZR20 Pirellis on 20x11-inch forged "Devil's Rim" aluminum wheels. Dodge says the wider tires and wheels, larger six-piston Brembo front brakes and suspension upgrades enable the Scat Pack Widebody to beat a non-Widebody Scat Pack car by 2 seconds on a 2.1-mile road course.

And all R/T Scat Pack models get the power-bulge aluminum hood handed down from the current Hellcat.

Finally, Challenger R/T and GT RWD models get a standard high-performance suspension and an optional upgraded performance-handling package, paddle shifters and houndstooth cloth seats.

Production on the 2019 Challenger lineup starts this fall in Ontario

Source
Old 06-28-18, 02:13 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Great job by Dodge keeping this platform alive with updates every year!

Lexus could take some lessons.
No updates to RCF since 2015.......
Old 06-28-18, 03:20 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd love to do this.....

Theoretically, if you were someplace where you could operate at full throttle without letting up, Dodge says the Hemi would drain the fuel tank in under 11 minutes.
Old 06-28-18, 03:41 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Great job by Dodge keeping this platform alive with updates every year!

Lexus could take some lessons.
No updates to RCF since 2015.......
Amazing, it's been a decade. They do keep it fresh, with various trims, many engine choices, AWD option, technology features. They've really wrung out the LX platform. I hope if a fourth generation comes to fruition in a few years that weight loss is at the forefront.

Not even power-folding mirrors on the F
Old 06-29-18, 01:35 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Great. More midnight street racing down my street, more donuts at three in the morning waking my family up, more out of control, onto the curb ped mow-downs, and more dead 19 year old passengers wrapped around telephone pole news stories. These cars are a diseases on our society and it's getting worse by the month in Los Angeles. Every damn night they are racing these pieces of excrement and their competitors on public streets.
Old 06-29-18, 06:05 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Great. More midnight street racing down my street, more donuts at three in the morning waking my family up, more out of control, onto the curb ped mow-downs, and more dead 19 year old passengers wrapped around telephone pole news stories. These cars are a diseases on our society and it's getting worse by the month in Los Angeles. Every damn night they are racing these pieces of excrement and their competitors on public streets.
LOL, someone woke up crabby this morning. Anything else you want to complain about?
Old 06-29-18, 06:17 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

That is a failure of civilization not the cars fault. I live here and I see the fabric of society unravelling everyday.

Personally, I like that Dodge is building high horsepower muscle cars.
Old 06-29-18, 06:34 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Umm, if it isn't the Hellcat/demon, it'd be something else....if it isn't that "something else", it would be "something else". Should'nt single out any particular car brand/model. Sucks to say, but if you don't like it, moving may be a better option for you and your family....maybe to a place in NY or something where everyone takes cabs/taxi/trains or something.🤔

V.
Old 06-29-18, 08:00 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

A stock widebody street car with 800 HP under warranty, Where else can you find this? This would make a great second or third vehicle.
Old 06-29-18, 08:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
That is a failure of civilization not the cars fault. I live here and I see the fabric of society unravelling everyday.

Personally, I like that Dodge is building high horsepower muscle cars.
I tend to agree with you. When I looked up the Corvette specs, personally, I would want the normal Grand Sport with HP in the 400's. Don't need 600, but in a sense, I'm happy the engineers can make it happen. Just like the E63s AMG wagon, if it were me, I don't need 604 HP, but I do like that car.

I've never made it past 300 HP, and I'm not ashamed to say that. May sound trifling today, but in many ways it's adequate. Never owned anything with more than 312 ft. lbs. either. But I am resolved to break the 400 HP barrier (I don't generally do engines that have a lower peak torque than HP, we touched upon this in another thread).
Old 06-29-18, 10:32 AM
Hoovey689

Amazing they even bumped the regular Hellcat up 10hp for 2019 to 717hp. Well played Dodge. Can't wait to see a ZL1, GT500, and Hellcat comparison.
Old 06-30-18, 11:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

feel sorry for people who bought a demon, doesnt seem so special now. They have to release an updated model since the Mustang GT500 is coming
Old 06-30-18, 12:21 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
feel sorry for people who bought a demon, doesnt seem so special now. They have to release an updated model since the Mustang GT500 is coming

The New Hellcat Challengers and Chargers are being deeply discounted in my area. I think 700 HP is plenty and have considered maybe picking up a Hellcat Charger down the road. Buy the extended warranty and drive the crap out of it.
Old 07-01-18, 03:53 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

going to be deeply discounted more now. Redeyes start $72k and regular hellcat price cut by $5k

https://jalopnik.com/the-797-hp-2019...-be-1827268180
Old 07-01-18, 06:05 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Damn I saw where they said you can go through a tank of gas in 11 minutes with the Redeye. That is insane.

Quick Reply: 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye