Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Say what you want about Musk, but I love this...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 11:29 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I agree with Marshall. People want that?! (pic below)
I don't particulatly love it, but the view out the front is nice due to how small the dash is. And, open-pore wood = Not to mention, the full-width vents are both cool and seem to work well (in the limited time I had to play with them, anyway).

OK, so maybe I am slightly a fan of the Model 3. However, I am not sure I'd buy one really.
Old 06-28-18, 11:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I don't particulatly love it, but the view out the front is nice due to how small the dash is. And, open-pore wood = Not to mention, the full-width vents are both cool and seem to work well (in the limited time I had to play with them, anyway).

OK, so maybe I am slightly a fan of the Model 3. However, I am not sure I'd buy one really.
The view out of the Tesla X is niceee. The wood is decent. My friend has a Model S 75d, and the overall cabin materials are unbecoming of a "luxury" EV maker let alone a "premium" one. I can only imagine how bad the selection is in the Model 3.

Old 06-28-18, 12:33 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Yeah. Not to go too far off-topic, but I agree on the materials but moreso on the build quality. Honestly, when I shut the door of the Model X, it sounded a bit rattly. The 3, not so much - pretty solid. Maybe Tesla are improving things in that regard.
Old 06-28-18, 12:37 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

I agree with Marshall. People want that?! (pic below)
Well, 450k people put a deposit down and even the most pessimistic reports show that 78% or more of those people are keeping the deposit money allocated to the car and have not requested a refund. So that equates to a potential of 360k people who are OK with it and expressing enough interest to buy and wait for one.
Old 06-28-18, 12:54 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am not gonna read the responses, I am at work. But I would be curious as to what great features where brought up?
It's hard to sift back through some of the very early responses I read initially now given that he posted it a couple of days ago and there are tens of thousands of replies. But stuff that sticks out in memory that Elon commented on:
- dual motor AWD- standard
- suspension that dynamically adjusts for load- standard
- suspension for height control on various terrain - standard
- power outlets for heavy duty tool use (240V) with no generator needed- standard
- automatic parallel parking - standard
- 360 degree cameras & sonar - standard
- Rear & front lockers
- adjustable bed length and rear gate to accommodate longer pieces of lumber, etc. so things don't hang out the back
- solar panels lining the bed (potentially leverage concept similar to Tesla roof tiles)
- clean water tank to hold drinking water for camping, etc.
- improve design of built-in straps/tie-downs
Old 06-28-18, 12:58 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I am seeing a decent number of Model 3s here in KC. Wonder how these RWD models will be in the snow. I'd suspect they would be fine with winter tires, maybe even better than conventional ICE vehicles, due to the precision with which the electric drive can be delivered (of course not as good as AWD of course).
Old 06-28-18, 01:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Asking people on Twitter on what they need in a pick up truck or any car for that matter is hardly scientific or accurate from a research point of view. It makes good feel good head lines.

The real research would be for a team from Tesla to go to a job site and actually document what pick up truck owners or operators are actually legitimately doing with their trucks. Or go to a boating event and watch how people use their vehicles to launch boats and haul items.

I don’t think Tesla will succeed.
haha, he is looking for money. Hey we cant deliver Model 3, but give us money since we will build Roadster and Pickup truck and Semi.
Old 06-28-18, 01:19 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
haha, he is looking for money. Hey we cant deliver Model 3, but give us money since we will build Roadster and Pickup truck and Semi.
Off topic from the point of the thread but I'll respond by saying they are looking to convert reservation holders into actual orders as of earlier this week. That would be a lot of orders. This could indicate they know they're going to hit the production volumes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/tesl...2500-more.html
Old 06-28-18, 01:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It's hard to sift back through some of the very early responses I read initially now given that he posted it a couple of days ago and there are tens of thousands of replies. But stuff that sticks out in memory that Elon commented on:
- suspension that dynamically adjusts for load- standard
- suspension for height control on various terrain - standard
- power outlets for heavy duty tool use (240V) with no generator needed- standard
- automatic parallel parking - standard
- 360 degree cameras & sonar - standard
- Rear & front lockers
- adjustable bed length and rear gate to accommodate longer pieces of lumber, etc. so things don't hang out the back
- solar panels lining the bed (potentially leverage concept similar to Tesla roof tiles)
- clean water tank to hold drinking water for camping, etc.
- improve design of built-in straps/tie-downs
Sone of these ideas have been done or are already offered. Trucks already have adjustable bed lengths with the tail gate down at the bed extender. Some Fords have a PTO and Tacoma’s had or still have an outlet for power tools in the bed. Drinking water one is strange as it would need to be kept cool for the summer.
Old 06-28-18, 03:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, 450k people put a deposit down and even the most pessimistic reports show that 78% or more of those people are keeping the deposit money allocated to the car and have not requested a refund. So that equates to a potential of 360k people who are OK with it and expressing enough interest to buy and wait for one.
What that shows me is that people are willing to compromise on something such as design form and function (I find it incredibly distracting to look in the middle, ie Tesla, Prius, Quest, Yaris/Scions, Saturn's of yore), because the power of a badge. BMW is a perfect example. So many 320i's running around, a subpar vehicle that rests on it's laurels that it's a 3-Series body with a BMW badge. If there's a cheapish EV with a Tesla badge, well people are going to fawn over it. It'll be a lot harder in a few years when BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche all have Model S, X, 3 competitors.
Old 06-28-18, 06:25 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

What that shows me is that people are willing to compromise on something such as design form and function (I find it incredibly distracting to look in the middle, ie Tesla, Prius, Quest, Yaris/Scions, Saturn's of yore), because the power of a badge..
What you find distracting may not be distracting to others - and therefore they may not feel it's any compromise on design form and function. In fact, there are definitely people who view it as superior. Additionally, there are Tesla Model 3 fans who look at what any of us drive and think we are the ones compromising. The point is all of that is 100% subjective.
Old 06-28-18, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What that shows me is that people are willing to compromise on something such as design form and function (I find it incredibly distracting to look in the middle, ie Tesla, Prius, Quest, Yaris/Scions, Saturn's of yore),
Among Saturns, only the Ion....and it was a POS in more ways than just the center-mount dash gauges.

Some Panoz sports-cars (with the high-performance Ford engines) also had center-dash gauges, but they were basically fringe/niche vehicles, and not widely produced. Recognize the Mustang-derived gauges and *****?

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-28-18 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-28-18, 06:56 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Elon Musk is a genius.

There were many people that ridiculed Steve Jobs also and he was ultimately pushed out of Apple....now he is viewed as a genius and visionary.

Musk has amazing ideas and is willing to do them his way and actually puts his personal money on the line.
After all these years, no automakers have an answer for Tesla. The New Porsche will be well over $100k, the BMW i3 is a disaster. I see more and more Teslas everyday and with his SpaceX and Boring company - I definitely would Not bet against Musk.
Old 06-28-18, 07:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Elon Musk is a genius.

There were many people that ridiculed Steve Jobs also and he was ultimately pushed out of Apple....now he is viewed as a genius and visionary.
Incredibly lucky as well.
Old 06-28-18, 08:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

let's see how many bail now they're being asked for another $2500 to turn their 'reservation' into an 'order'...

Tesla is asking Model 3 reservation holders for another $2,500 to order their cars

• Tesla is allowing all Model 3 reservation holders in North America to order their electric sedans.
  • If reservation holders place an order they must pay an additional $2,500-- but they won't get a delivery date.
  • Tesla is pushing to manufacture 5,000 Model 3s per week by the end of this quarter, and to become profitable and cash flow positive in the second half of the year.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/tesl...2500-more.html

Quick Reply: Say what you want about Musk, but I love this...