Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you buy a hail-damaged vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 05:08 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Would you buy a hail-damaged vehicle?

This isn't the first time I've pondered this question. But this story about a bunch of Lexus damaged at a dealership in Colorado made me think about it again. First, I think it would have to be one heck of a discount for me to consider a hail-damaged car, and it would have to be a specific type of vehicle too. For example, a pickup or a burly SUV might work for me, because I think they can look pretty sick when they're all beat up. There are a couple of bashed up old Range Rovers in my neighborhood, and I think they look rad — like they've been being used for their intended purpose. But something luxurious, or a sports car wouldn't work for me, as I'd want them to be pretty. How about you?
Old 06-27-18, 05:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,298 Posts

Can't do it, would bother me every time I looked at the car. Around here dealers have been hammered too many times most are putting up structures like these.
http://www.wssl.com/Car_Lot_Canopy.html
Old 06-27-18, 05:26 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Not all hail damage are equal. Some look like someone took a bat to them in every panel while others, you can hardly tell.
I almost purchased a 2016 airstream with such damage but didn't. Like you, if it's a sporty car I wouldn't think twice about it but for a extra truck or a leisure vehicle/unit for the right price, I just might.
Old 06-27-18, 05:38 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Can't do it, would bother me every time I looked at the car. Around here dealers have been hammered too many times most are putting up structures like these.
Oh, those things look trick. And I guess half a million isn't too bad when you think about all the inventory you're protecting.
Old 06-27-18, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

For those of you who have not seen it, this is what damage from large hail looks like on sheet metal. In extreme circumstances, it can also crack or shatter glass.

Old 06-27-18, 08:41 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the price is right
Old 06-28-18, 07:00 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I`d consider one if the price is right however, considering dealerships usually can repair a vehicle at low-cost (in-house) and flip, take the insurance money be whole, sell it auction where people usually pay more with their heart then mind, or sell it to a common folk who demands a heavy discount....I`d say they`d pick the other ones before anything, and any cars that doo switch hands to regular folk are usually vehicle with minimum defects to justify the paltry discount.
Old 06-28-18, 07:16 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For those of you who have not seen it, this is what damage from large hail looks like on sheet metal. In extreme circumstances, it can also crack or shatter glass.

Actually I saw a newer Audi S5 on the bed of a semi truck earlier this week that had hail damage similar to the pic you posted. Had never seen any hail damage that substantial - it was awful - especially on such a beautiful car.
Old 06-28-18, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Actually I saw a newer Audi S5 on the bed of a semi truck earlier this week that had hail damage similar to the pic you posted. Had never seen any hail damage that substantial - it was awful - especially on such a beautiful car.

Tornado and Severe-Storm spotters, of course, out on the Plains, routinely subject their vehicles to (possible) damage like that from the big Midwestern storms that routinely strike in the spring and summer. The Western part of the Great Plains, from the Texas Panhandle all the way to (and past) the Canadian border, is North America's traditional Hail Alley....particularly Eastern Colorado/Wyoming and Western Kansas/Nebraska.
Old 06-28-18, 09:29 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Curious how much of this cost can be recouped by dealers through lower insurance premiums?
Old 06-28-18, 09:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd only buy one if it was repaired, LOL!
Old 06-28-18, 11:28 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Not only no, but hail no!!
Old 06-28-18, 12:58 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
Not only no, but hail no!!
This was the answer the OP was probably looking for.
Old 06-28-18, 11:17 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

one day all cars will be carbon fiber, and this won't be an issue.

and yes, I would buy a hail damaged beater car for no more than $3000 if the msrp is $30k.
But that would never happen since their insurance payout would be much greater than that.
Old 06-29-18, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
one day all cars will be carbon fiber, and this won't be an issue.
Carbon-fiber doesn't dent, but it cracks.

The best idea, IMO, was Saturn's thermoplastic side-body panels of the 1990s. Outside of paint scratches, they were almost impervious to any kind of damage short of being hit with a freight locomotive LOL.

This is not a doctored video....I remember doing it myself, with a baseball bat, at the D.C. auto show, in response to an invitation from the Saturn reps there.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-29-18 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a hail-damaged vehicle?