Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

/RANT: Why do consumers keep on buying inferior vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's not relevant (loads of money). MOST people live on car payments just about forever, and at that point there's little difference between owning or leasing because even owning you'll still have the car payment obligation in the event of job loss.
For those who want it (and perhaps don't have very secure jobs) insurance is available, for a price, which, in case of job loss or other inability to pay, will pay off whatever you still owe on a car, and give you clear title to it. Same with mortgages.

I myself have never financed a car, and probably never will. If I can't write a check for it (a check that won't bounce LOL) .....I simply don't buy it.
Old 06-27-18, 04:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
There is still depreciation, but it pales in comparison. My car lost $16k in the first year before I bought it, and $27k total in the seven years since. Probably close to half of that came in my first year (the car's second). So the depreciation the first two years is double that of the next six. $2.3k/yr is not a lot of depreciation, especially compared to $15k/yr.
certainly true, if you're happy driving a 7 year old car. i'm not, but obviously a lot of people have no choice, financially.

I do wish I had adaptive cruise and cooled front seats, but don't want for much else, and certainly wouldn't consider a high-spec E90 with more torque than a C7 Corvette a "crappy old flip phone" . I do think $200-300/year in maintenance plus one $373.42 repair over 7 years beats the hell out of paying $600-800/mo (plus $1200/mo depreciation) for the past 6 years.
as i've said before, certainly in the out years (beyond typical 3-4 years), you begin to get 'ahead' in overall COST, BUT you did pay the whole amount for the car (what, $55-60k?) up front, whether you financed it or just paid it. if you paid it i can argue i could have tripled that money investing that amount in google, microsoft, facebook, amazon stock. even if you financed it, a finance payment is going to be more than a lease payment so i could still invest the difference and get ahead of the depreciation.
Old 06-27-18, 06:26 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
A friend of mine was shopping for a vehicle, I helped him narrow it down between an 18 Camry & 18 Accord based on his needs (good gas mileage, safety tech like adaptive cruise, reliability). He shows up Monday proud of his new 18 Altima, bought it because he got $7k off (compared to $3k off Camry or $2k off Accord).

Not a Nissan hater but it is a glorified fleet car with horrid resale values on the cusp of a refresh in 2019. My sentiments on why (at least US) consumers get lulled into buying crap cars are:
- Advertising on credit (get approved if you make $400/week....on a new Mitsubishi)
- Advertising on "why buy used when can get new) for a sub-$10k Mitsubishi Mirage
- Selling features vs quality, a key reason why the Dodge Journey sells like hotcakes, it is "the cheapest 3 row seat SUV", ignoring the fact it has an anemic 4 cylinder with a 4 speed automatic
- Brandmonger, because "as long as it is a Jeep...with the same crap 2.4L Tigershark 4-cyl that underpowers the Journey means my Compass is as awesome as a Wrangler + it is Trail rated!"

Well built cars like the 18 Accord sits on dealer lots because most of America keep on making bad decisions and getting ripped off. All this to say, while many consumers (like some of us on these forums) do our due diligence to stretch the dollars we earn, most of America ignore facts, available research and recommendations to buy regrets they trade later. The inability for many buyers to do something as simple as getting pre-qualified means inferior cars will still be commercial successes.

/rantover
Well--then should all other midsize sedans other than Camry and Accord be removed from the marketplace? Why should people have freedom of choice? They should have decisions made for them, to protect them from themselves. You clearly know better then those people as to what car is best for them.
Old 06-27-18, 06:44 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
A friend of mine was shopping for a vehicle, I helped him narrow it down between an 18 Camry & 18 Accord based on his needs (good gas mileage, safety tech like adaptive cruise, reliability). He shows up Monday proud of his new 18 Altima, bought it because he got $7k off (compared to $3k off Camry or $2k off Accord).

Not a Nissan hater but it is a glorified fleet car with horrid resale values on the cusp of a refresh in 2019. My sentiments on why (at least US) consumers get lulled into buying crap cars are:
- Advertising on credit (get approved if you make $400/week....on a new Mitsubishi)
- Advertising on "why buy used when can get new) for a sub-$10k Mitsubishi Mirage
- Selling features vs quality, a key reason why the Dodge Journey sells like hotcakes, it is "the cheapest 3 row seat SUV", ignoring the fact it has an anemic 4 cylinder with a 4 speed automatic
- Brandmonger, because "as long as it is a Jeep...with the same crap 2.4L Tigershark 4-cyl that underpowers the Journey means my Compass is as awesome as a Wrangler + it is Trail rated!"

Well built cars like the 18 Accord sits on dealer lots because most of America keep on making bad decisions and getting ripped off. All this to say, while many consumers (like some of us on these forums) do our due diligence to stretch the dollars we earn, most of America ignore facts, available research and recommendations to buy regrets they trade later. The inability for many buyers to do something as simple as getting pre-qualified means inferior cars will still be commercial successes.

/rantover
Well, if the Altima had adaptive cruise (assuming that was something that was a requirement of HIS and not your recommendation) then I'd say what you just experienced is him getting the best value he could find. When you're the person on the other side of the fence watching things like this and scratching your head, effectively what's happening is the person buying sees no discernible difference between various options and therefore they become a commodity. The vast majority of the time in a commodity battle someone will choose the cheapest option.

Even if adaptive cruise wasn't a must-have for him, he may have evaluated it and realized it was effectively a $4k option (the difference of $7k off vs. $3k off) and thought it wasn't worth it. People justify things in their minds in strange ways. Maybe (hopefully) he got the best car for him and his situation. An Altima checks the box of fuel efficiency and reliability.
Old 06-27-18, 06:57 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I disagree with this. I think most people are smarter than you would believe.
When I read articles about over half the nation living paycheck-to-paycheck it makes me believe otherwise.
Old 06-28-18, 03:23 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

as i've said before, certainly in the out years (beyond typical 3-4 years), you begin to get 'ahead' in overall COST, BUT you did pay the whole amount for the car (what, $55-60k?) up front, whether you financed it or just paid it.
$38k ($32k after my trade). As I said, it lost $16k from the $54k sticker in the first year before I got it (one year old, but never titled). A heavily-subsidized lease of a 340i costs $22k over the term ($3925 + $499/mo), so I do indeed have to front the extra $16k ($10k after trade) in whatever manner I choose. But I still have an asset worth almost $10k today

if you paid it i can argue i could have tripled that money investing that amount in google, microsoft, facebook, amazon stock. even if you financed it, a finance payment is going to be more than a lease payment so i could still invest the difference and get ahead of the depreciation.
And $0 is a lot less than a lease or finance payment, so I can invest the difference That's how my "car fund" has grown to the point that I could buy 2 or 3 cars for cash before depleting it. . Couple more years of this, and It'll get to the point where I could withdraw a $500/mo payment indefinitely without cutting into principal over the long term.
Old 06-28-18, 05:12 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like it or not, today's Dodge Journey is a better product than the typical Dodge/Chrysler SUVs we've seen in the past. Yes, Dodge still ranks rather low on today's reliability scale, but their products are noticeably better than they were before Fiat bought them out 10 years ago.
I am sure the dodge journey is better now than it was years ago, still doesn't make it a smart purchase. It has a reputation of being the most sold car to people with low/bad credit who have families, and while everyone needs a car, there are better options out there that are used VS a new dodge journey that is going to TANK in depreciation and will not likely last much past the loan term in reliability.
Old 06-28-18, 06:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
And $0 is a lot less than a lease or finance payment, so I can invest the difference That's how my "car fund" has grown to the point that I could buy 2 or 3 cars for cash before depleting it. . Couple more years of this, and It'll get to the point where I could withdraw a $500/mo payment indefinitely without cutting into principal over the long term.
if that works for you, enjoy the money and 7 year old car.
Old 06-28-18, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL4SPL
I am sure the dodge journey is better now than it was years ago, still doesn't make it a smart purchase. It has a reputation of being the most sold car to people with low/bad credit who have families, and while everyone needs a car, there are better options out there that are used VS a new dodge journey that is going to TANK in depreciation and will not likely last much past the loan term in reliability.
I would have guessed the Jeep Compass...it outdoes even the Journey in the unimpressive-new-vehicle department.
Old 06-28-18, 08:18 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,894 Likes on 1,967 Posts

if that works for you, enjoy the money and 7 year old car.
Me being used to newer cars, I could see why you'd say this, too. However, I have driven a couple of high-ish mileage cars recently, and can say that honestly, the car's overall character is not going to change with age. For instance, the G80 I drove with just shy of 60k miles still felt "nice" to drive, certainly not like a 60k-mile car. I would have never guessed it to be that high if I didn't look at the odometer. Granted, 7 years for most people would be near 100k miles, which would probably make a more noticeable difference - but just sayin'. So I admire folks who stick with a car for a long time - for me I like having new things - especially if they have a warranty, just for peace of mind and also for the new features and performance.
Old 06-28-18, 08:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Me being used to newer cars, I could see why you'd say this, too. However, I have driven a couple of high-ish mileage cars recently, and can say that honestly, the car's overall character is not going to change with age. For instance, the G80 I drove with just shy of 60k miles still felt "nice" to drive, certainly not like a 60k-mile car. I would have never guessed it to be that high if I didn't look at the odometer. Granted, 7 years for most people would be near 100k miles, which would probably make a more noticeable difference - but just sayin'. So I admire folks who stick with a car for a long time - for me I like having new things - especially if they have a warranty, just for peace of mind and also for the new features and performance.
it's not so much about the mileage for me, but the age... how old was the G80 with 60K you drove? it probably had most if not all modern conveniences. that for me is why i don't want to drive an old car but obviously everyone's different.
Old 06-28-18, 09:07 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,894 Likes on 1,967 Posts

it's not so much about the mileage for me, but the age... how old was the G80 with 60K you drove? it probably had most if not all modern conveniences. that for me is why i don't want to drive an old car but obviously everyone's different.
I'd say it was 3 years old, give or take (which would technically make it a Hyundai Genesis, but... you know).
Old 06-28-18, 09:07 AM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I rack up about 20-25k per year on my vehicles and in my opinion everything has a service life and value. Depending on the make/brand I place the sweet spot at around 70-120k before replacing it, trading it in for a new. Surely, some will call this a complete waste of money and I'm sure I can squeeze out couple more(thousands) of miles if I tried and i know it's possible but it comes at a cost. Cost such as insurance, car washes, tires, maintenance and brake jobs, allignments and the likes... all of which i just don't have the time for.
Old 06-28-18, 05:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I disagree with this. I think most people are smarter than you would believe.
Sadly, I just don't see much evidence in day-to-day life that supports this.

Last edited by tex2670; 06-29-18 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-29-18, 01:29 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If someone offered me $7k off a new Nissan Altima, sure why not? I don't think it's bad vs the Camry and Accord, other than better looking i'm sure it drives just as well from point A to B. Plus it's an outgoing model i'm sure all the issues off it has been fixed already for the long term both the Camry and Accord have been redesigned this year so not sure what issues if any are there around . I myself, usually do not pick up the first year redesign of a model but not sure about others.

Quick Reply: /RANT: Why do consumers keep on buying inferior vehicles?