Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer flunk crash test

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 09:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Then I don't understand the point of why you drew a relation between the weight of your LS and the weight of your BMW and your BMW being somehow better built and more safe if thats actually how you feel...

This is what you said:

"The Lexus LS can weigh only 400 lbs more than a BMW 3 Series even when the 3 series has extensive use of forged alumunum" because "the Germans don't skip out on the safety stuff" (what you were replying to)...and by extension Lexus does.

I'm not anti-european car at all, I've never owned one but absolutely would...I just don't think European cars are as "superior" as many people feel that they are, and in this situation I'm pointing out a very clear gap in that logic.

How can you say with a straight face "all carmakers want to reduce weight, 3,900 pounds 2900 pounds would be better, yet also say that the 3 Series is safer than the LS and the evidence of that is that its not much lighter despite being much bigger. That right there comes across as an anti-Japanese car bias.
I'm not sure that I said a 3 series is safer than a LS. I don't think that I did, anyone can go back through the thread--I won't edit it out haha (besides there are time stamps)

All I did was to respond to someone that felt Germans deserve props to safety--he even pointed out that they cheated on diesel emissions. And to point out that on two cars that I own, being very different in their exterior dimensions, that the weight delta was small, 419 lbs. The implication is that the smaller German car is dense, which tends to be the way they are designed.
Old 06-14-18, 09:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I'm not sure that I said a 3 series is safer than a LS. I don't think that I did, anyone can go back through the thread--I won't edit it out haha (besides there are time stamps)

All I did was to respond to someone that felt Germans deserve props to safety--he even pointed out that they cheated on diesel emissions. And to point out that on two cars that I own, being very different in their exterior dimensions, that the weight delta was small, 419 lbs. The implication is that the smaller German car is dense, which tends to be the way they are designed.
You absolutely implied that your 3 Series is a safer car than your Lexus LS. Read the post you responded too, which said "Germans don't skip out on the safety stuff", your response was essentially "I agree, thats why a a Lexus LS is only 400 lbs more than a 3 series despite being much larger".

The implication there is absolutely that the LS is not more heavy compared to the 3 series because BMW hasn't skipped on the safety stuff and Lexus has. If that wasn’t what you meant to say, that’s how it read for sure.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-14-18 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-14-18, 10:43 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

it's like kids studying for the test. doing the minimum to pass the class.
Old 06-14-18, 11:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
it's like kids studying for the test. doing the minimum to pass the class.
Thats exactly what this is and has always been an example of.

Like I said, kudos to the IIHS for changing it up and forcing carmakers to make safer cars all around, we all benefit from that.
Old 06-14-18, 01:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
People (including cops) are not supposed to be driving, or having the engine idling, with the rear hatch not securely closed. Shut it like it's supposed to be, instead of doing what so many people do by tying it down or using a bungee cord to keep it partly open while they are carrying bulky loads, and there probably won't be any problem with exhaust fumes. That caution, BTW, is in the Owners' Manuals of most vehicles equipped with a rear hatch (or on a warning-sticker)....all one has to do is either read it or use common sense.
The Explorer fumes debacle had nothing to do with opened rear hatches. The problem was taking place with the hatch closed and the vehicle moving down the road. Fumes were seeping in and making drivers pass out.
Old 06-14-18, 01:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Explorer fumes debacle had nothing to do with opened rear hatches. The problem was taking place with the hatch closed and the vehicle moving down the road. Fumes were seeping in and making drivers pass out.
Fumes were seeping in with the hatch, doors and windows all fully closed? The only way I can think of that happening is if the leak was WAY upwind of the tail-exhaust pipe (maybe underhood somewhere, on on near the exhaust manifold) and the fumes were getting into the vent-intakes for the climate-control. But then, again, I didn't see the details of the recall, so I may not know the entire story.
Old 06-16-18, 09:32 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

The fumes are from the exhaust manifold.

Old 06-16-18, 10:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The fumes are from the exhaust manifold.

Yes....I figured that all the hatches, windows and doors were closed, there weren't very many other places for fumes to enter the cabin except through the climate vents from under the hood. CO (carbon monoxide) can be especially dangerous because, unlike with some other gases, you don't realize it is affecting you until you could be in trouble.
Old 06-16-18, 11:18 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You need to look into how foreign carmakers have fared in these surprise test changes in the past before you throw stones. Was only a few years ago when they brought out the small overlap test that Toyota/Lexus, Honda, BMW, Mercedes and so on all spectacularly failed it and that was in the news.

Its only recently that the IIHS has begun changing up their tests. For decades and decades they just performed the same tests exactly the same way. All this means is that certain carmakers have done a better job building cars that succeed in those rigid tests...not a hard thing to do. The point of this is not to shame automakers, its to move safety forward which is a good thing. You can't fault somebody necessarily for not designing a vehicle to perform well in a rigid test that was never conceived of when it was designed.

Like I said before, put any of the cars made 15 years ago that used to be considered "extremely safe" into these small overlap tests and see how they do...

The Grand Cherokee and Explorer are old designs, the new ones will be better and safer.

Where did you hear this? Its not true. 340i X Drive sedan is 3,820 lbs. An AWD LS500 is 4,905 lbs. So the LS is 1,100 lbs heavier than a 3 series, not 400 lbs.
not true. 2012 was the first year iihs did small overlap and c250 they tested did ok (and that model came out in 2008), not best but ok the dummy walked away from it.
if you google " iihs 2012 small overlap (any brand here)" you can see the rest, btw probably don't look up gm or ford because they couldn't even get the dummy out after the test.

Old 06-16-18, 11:56 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

You know what I dont get with these tests with Lexus is their Bigger SUVs have no data from them and the other thing is have they gotten any passenger side data on the NX, which still shares the same platform as the outgoing Rav4. Did they ever modify the pass side after the whole debacle?
Old 06-16-18, 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormwind
not true. 2012 was the first year iihs did small overlap and c250 they tested did ok (and that model came out in 2008), not best but ok the dummy walked away from it.
if you google " iihs 2012 small overlap (any brand here)" you can see the rest, btw probably don't look up gm or ford because they couldn't even get the dummy out after the test.

Look up the small overlap tests of Lexus models.