Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer flunk crash test

Old 06-13-18, 07:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer flunk crash test

Two of America's most popular SUVs earned performed badly in a crash test designed to show how well front-seat passengers are protected in a violent collision.

The 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer were among eight SUVs the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety recently subjected to its small overlap front crash test, which mimics a particularly violent and dangerous type of collision. They were the only ones to earn the rating of "poor," the worst of four possible ratings.

In the test, a vehicle is propelled at 40 miles an hour and strikes a barrier with just the outermost part of the bumper on the passenger's side. It is designed to mimic the impact of a vehicle with another car or a tree or pole with just the outer part of the bumper.

The Explorer's door frame was crushed inward during the impact by more than a foot in some places. The Insurance Institute found that injuries to the right hip were very likely, while lower leg injuries were also possible based on readings taken from the crash test dummy.

The Ford Explorer earned the lowest possible rating in the Insurance Institute's small ovelap test.In an email, Ford (F) said that the Explorer is safe, and has earned top scores in all other crash tests. The automaker added that a new version of the Explorer will go on sale next year, and that it expects that car will earn top scores in all Insurance Institute and government crash tests, including the small overlap test.

Ford Escape fails passenger crash test

The occupant compartment on the Grand Cherokee was also crushed inward in the test. The crash test dummy's head sunk into the front airbag so far that it hit the dashboard. Also, the side airbag failed to deploy while driver's side door also opened. That allowed the dummy's head to move outside the vehicle. Leg injuries were seen as likely and head injuries possible.

"All FCA (FCAU) US vehicles meet or exceed federal safety standards," said Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, which makes Jeeps, in a statement. "FCA US vehicles are engineered to address real-world driving situations. No single test measures overall vehicle safety."

Both the Explorer and Grand Cherokee earned a rating of "marginal," the second worst rating possible, when the same crash test was performed on the driver's side of the vehicle.

In the same test, the Kia Sorento, Volkswagen Atlas and GMC Acadia all earned the best possible rating of "good." Three other SUVS, the Toyota Highlander, Nissan Pathfinder and Honda Pilot, earned "acceptable" ratings.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is a private group financed by the auto insurance industry. The crash tests it performs are different from those mandated by the federal government.

Correction: An earlier version of this story misstated which side of the vehicle the test was conducted on.

CNNMoney (New York)First published June 12, 2018: 10:46 AM ET

video here......
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/cnnmo...-orig.cnnmoney

Last edited by bagwell; 06-13-18 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-13-18, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I thought that was really interesting, that carmakers are designing cars to pass the small overlap test on the drivers side, but not bothering with the passenger side since the test isn't run on that side...

I applaud the IIHS for continuing to surprise carmakers with unusual tests to keep them on their toes...
Old 06-13-18, 10:11 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

I saw this on NBC Nightly News last night. They said the Kia Sorento won the highest ranking in this test.
Old 06-13-18, 10:36 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love this kind of testing from iihs, they continue to expose the shadiness of these corporate grease bags.
i'll never buy a gm or ford because of this kind of crap they pull.

Last edited by Stormwind; 06-13-18 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-13-18, 11:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormwind
love this kind of testing from iihs, they continue to expose the shadiness of these corporate grease bags.
i'll never buy a gm or ford because of this kind of crap they pull.
Its not just GM and Ford. Toyota, Honda also had the same situation, poorer performance on the passenger side.
Old 06-13-18, 11:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll never buy a GM or ford because of this kind of crap they pull.
You apparently did not notice (or ignored) the fact that the GMC Acadia did quite well.

In the same test, the Kia Sorento, Volkswagen Atlas and GMC Acadia all earned the best possible rating of "good."
Old 06-13-18, 11:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Eh not a big deal. Both JGC and Explorer have new generations coming in about a year
Old 06-13-18, 12:51 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its not just GM and Ford. Toyota, Honda also had the same situation, poorer performance on the passenger side.
Still acceptable or a passing grade. The Ford and Jeep looked like certain death or dismemberment.
Old 06-13-18, 01:25 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
good thing I don't own those either.
Old 06-13-18, 01:27 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You apparently did not notice (or ignored) the fact that the GMC Acadia did quite well.
I didn't know that, but I don't want to bet my health and safety just to find out they didn't cut corner on one model here and there but cheap out on the rest. Think russian roulette might be safer at least I know the odds.
Old 06-13-18, 01:33 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Eh not a big deal. Both JGC and Explorer have new generations coming in about a year
yeah, screw the 750,000 Jeep GC owners and nearly 1 million Ford Explorer owners that have purchased in the past 4-5 years, right? LOL.
Old 06-13-18, 02:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yeah, screw the 750,000 Jeep GC owners and nearly 1 million Ford Explorer owners that have purchased in the past 4-5 years, right? LOL.
Of course not not like they can make a recall to strengthen the frame. Point was the new generations are close to market and will no doubt be better.
Old 06-13-18, 03:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Those crash test results are scary, both cars crumbled in all the wrong places this is terrible engineering.
Old 06-13-18, 03:29 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Of course not not like they can make a recall to strengthen the frame. Point was the new generations are close to market and will no doubt be better.
I don't have the same level of confidence you have on the new models.
Old 06-13-18, 03:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

good thing I don't own those either.
What is it that you own?

For those of you crying foul, you should see how the older cars you happily felt safe in a few years ago fare in these new tests.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer flunk crash test