Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me understand wheel gap avoidance

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-18, 07:15 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

RNM GS3,
Wow! That really surprise me.
Old 06-10-18, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I bet you’ve seen cars lowered “an inch or so” and not even realized they were lowered. That’s a very subtle difference.
Yes and no, depending on the circumstances. Often (but not always), suspension-lowering goes with aftermarket tires/wheels. You can have one without the other.....but it is generally not the norm.
Old 06-11-18, 05:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

LOL - go to a Corvette or Mustang meet, plenty of middle aged guys there with modified cars.

I was at a Porsche event yesterday which also had old people there even in the 70s.
Most 911s come perfect from factory so no point to lower them.
This is perfect fitment:

Agree. Perfect fitment on that GT3, very similar to the 1 in drop from the RSR springs I got on my RC F. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Old 06-11-18, 07:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
I am finding all these answers very interesting. They have explained the rationale to this particular cohort of people, which seems to be one of moderation.
However, in my opinion, it appears not to be in line with what seems to be the more common theme, lower is better.
I respect everybody's opinion--whether I agree with it or not--; after all, it's not my car and it's not my money.
I am guessing that age has a lot to do with this. I suspect that people in my age group (50+) are not the ones doing this.

LOL - go to a Corvette or Mustang meet, plenty of middle aged guys there with modified cars.

I was at a Porsche event yesterday which also had old people there even in the 70s.
Most 911s come perfect from factory so no point to lower them.
While it is true that there are some older people, here and there, who do mods, MedicalDoc is basically correct....car modifying is generally a pastime of younger folks. With bikes, though, it seems to be the opposite.....most of the mods seem to be old guys (often Vietnam veterans) riding Harleys.
Old 06-11-18, 07:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While it is true that there are some older people, here and there, who do mods, MedicalDoc is basically correct....car modifying is generally a pastime of younger folks. With bikes, though, it seems to be the opposite.....most of the mods seem to be old guys (often Vietnam veterans) riding Harleys.
MM, do you think however this is related to the type of vehicle the older buyer purchases?
Old 06-11-18, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
MM, do you think however this is related to the type of vehicle the older buyer purchases?

Partly, but not entirely. I think it's more a matter of how older people drive, and less of a tendency to try and impress others (or their girlfriends) with "cool" looking vehicles. Of course, I never have believed in the traditional stereotypes myself...when I was young, I liked big, luxury, so-called old-person cars, and, conversely, when I was almost 50, I bought a new, bright yellow IS300....something that was more typical of kids half my age. Now that the quality is finally back into GM after decades of building crap, I'm back to driving a big Buick again, like I did in college.
Old 06-11-18, 08:10 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

The RC F looks so much better with that subtle drop.
Old 06-11-18, 08:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Partly, but not entirely. I think it's more a matter of how older people drive, and less of a tendency to try and impress others (or their girlfriends) with "cool" looking vehicles. Of course, I never have believed in the traditional stereotypes myself...when I was young, I liked big, luxury, so-called old-person cars, and, conversely, when I was almost 50, I bought a new, bright yellow IS300....something that was more typical of kids half my age. Now that the quality is finally back into GM after decades of building crap, I'm back to driving a big Buick again, like I did in college.
as you describe yourself, you're not exactly typical. so respectfully i disagree with you and will say the overall market is not much like you. if there weren't a giant market for mid-life and older drivers who were performance and mod enthusiasts, a) there'd be few corvette and miata sales and b) there wouldn't be the THOUSANDS of 'classic car' and other shows all over this land. and as you can understand, a lot of these older enthusiasts have way more money than the young (who will spend their last dime on mods), so they can go wild. heck, near where i live, "the villages" giant community has THOUSANDS of highly customized and modified GOLF CARTS that people get around in!

look here JUST for corvette shows!

https://vette-vues.com/current-issue...lendar-events/

or run this search for classic car shows near you:
https://www.google.com/search?q=classic+car+shows

and we haven't mentioned the vast harley and other custom bike market, generally bought by older buyers.
Old 06-11-18, 09:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as you describe yourself, you're not exactly typical. so respectfully i disagree with you.

if there weren't a giant market for mid-life and older drivers who were performance and mod enthusiasts, a) there'd be few corvette and miata sales
While I certainly respect your opinion, there's probably no such thing as a truly "typical" driver or car owner. Each one is different. Corvette and Miata owners generally come in all shapes, sizes, genders, races, etc......although with the Miata, of course, its diminutive size may rule out some of the largest or tallest people.

and we haven't mentioned the vast harley and other custom bike market, generally bought by older buyers.
For the most part, they grew up with Harleys, and were never seriously attracted to the European or Japanese bikes.

Here's one of my favorite all-time Harley ads, BTW...IMO an absolute gem. Whoever came up with it should have been given an award.

Old 06-12-18, 12:32 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Again you are 100% wrong.

Just go to a local meet of American muscle cars current and classic.
Or go to a BMW / Porsche owner meet. These are ones I can personally attest to.

You also do realize that Ferrari/ Lambo / McLaren /Porsche have extensive individual programs which owners use to modify cars with CF trim / parts, unique paint, special wheels, aero options etc.
Just go build a 911 online- it will take over an hour lol.
Most ppl that buy these cars are OLD!
Old 06-12-18, 05:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Again you are 100% wrong.

Just go to a local meet of American muscle cars current and classic.
Or go to a BMW / Porsche owner meet. These are ones I can personally attest to.

You also do realize that Ferrari/ Lambo / McLaren /Porsche have extensive individual programs which owners use to modify cars with CF trim / parts, unique paint, special wheels, aero options etc.
Just go build a 911 online- it will take over an hour lol.
Most ppl that buy these cars are OLD!

Just because you see some old guys at Mustang or Corvette meets, or with some exotic Italian machines, does not necessarily make me (or you) wrong. The world is a little bigger than what either you or I may happen to notice each day. Although the D.C. suburbs in VA have just about every kind of car or truck owner you could imagine (except for vehicles in Appalachia up on blocks LOL), I'll be the first to admit that we, as individuals, don't see everything.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-18 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-12-18, 08:16 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Just because you see some old guys at Mustang or Corvette meets, or with some exotic Italian machines, does not necessarily make me (or you) wrong. The world is a little bigger than what either you or I may happen to notice each day. Although the D.C. suburbs in VA have just about every kind of car or truck owner you could imagine (except for vehicles in Appalachia up on blocks LOL), I'll be the first to admit that we, as individuals, don't see everything.
My friend a non enthusiast will not go and drop $200k-$500k on a supercar.
I have clients that are multi-millionaires and drive Toyota SUV.

Therefore a meet will give you a good idea who buys these exotics.
Also companies like Porsche, BMW and the exotic brands would not invest millions of dollars in upgrades / accessories in power, wheels, aero if the Customers were not asking for it. These are NOT 20year olds that drive a Civic with loud cheap exhaust and neon lights.

Ford has amazing aftermarket parts for Mustang everthing from aero to engine upgrades.
A GT is about $40-50k plus aftermarket parts another $5k.....who do you think BUYS this stuff, definitely not college kids lol.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-12-18 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-12-18, 10:10 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Some folks will always want something a little different. When the missionaries brought clothes to naked tribes in Africa, the women immediately coiled them up and used them as headwear.

Many years ago I had a Honda 500 Four (motorcycle) and offered it as a test vehicle for a new turbo pressurization package under development in a SoCal facility. The guys fabricated new intake and exhaust manifolds and added styling touches with paint and milling. I lived with it for a month, then had the parts sandblasted to match the appearance of the engine castings. I thought it looked far better (like it came from the factory that way) but the designers nearly had heart attacks. Oh, well, at least the bike performed brilliantly once we got the carburetion dialed in correctly.

By the way, I find as I get older that I like vehicles that have been restored to factory stock. To me they become a snapshot in time and also usually a chance to recall my memories. Show me a '65 Lincoln Continental with gigantic chrome wheels and a 6" drop and I will probably cringe. Show me a pristine '65 Lincoln Continental in factory trim and I will remember what it was like as a teen with a fresh license driving such a boat. And how it floated over speed bumps and ditches. And how shocked I was when a car accidentally ripped off the driver's door when my mom opened it without looking for traffic first.

Last edited by riredale; 06-13-18 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-12-18, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I think that some of us have a hard time understanding that we may not in fact be a good typical example of the demographic we fit into...
Old 06-12-18, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
By the way, I find as I get older that I like vehicles that have been restored to factory stock. To me they become a snapshot in time and also usually a chance to recall my memories. Show me a '65 Lincoln Continental with gigantic chrome wheels and a 6" drop and I will probably cringe. Show me a pristine '65 Lincoln Continental in factory trim and I will remember what it was like as a teen with a fresh license driving such a boat. And how it floated over speed bumps and ditches. And how shocked I was when a car accidentally ripped off the driver's door when my mom opened it without looking for traffic first.

Totally agree with you on the 60s vintage Contis......in stock trim, they were an absolute joy to drive if you liked comfort (as I did). My dad, when he tired from the Army in January of '69, went to work for Philco-Ford, and he would bring home big full-size company Mercurys and Lincolns every right after work, and let me take a brief spin in them. He knew I could be trusted, as, though not perfect, I was significantly more cautious and careful behind the wheel than the average teen-age boy. I'd give them a quick wipe- down, put a couple of gallons of 100-octane premium leaded gas in them (which, in cars like those, didn't go very far), take them out (rush hour traffic was much lighter in those days) and just enjoy the soft quiet ride

(My Dad, BTW, personally didn't care two cents for those cars...they just represented work and income to him. He always liked (and usually owned) pre-emission Chrysler products, particularly with the reliable and economical Slant-Six engine which was bulletproof).

Quick Reply: Help me understand wheel gap avoidance