Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me understand wheel gap avoidance

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 03:55 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with that.
I am a car 'enthusiast, to the point that 2 of my favorite cars--that I have owned--,
  • 1960s Citroen 2CV, 6-six- volt electrical system, with a crank!!
  • 1980s Mercedes 300 D
​​​​​​​
Old 06-08-18, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
I agree with that.
I am a car 'enthusiast, to the point that 2 of my favorite cars--that I have owned--,
  • 1960s Citroen 2CV, 6-six- volt electrical system, with a crank!!
Ah, a 2CV....the classic French 4-wheel scooter. That car essentially help put the country on wheels....just as the VW Beetle did in Germany, the Mini Cooper did in Britain, the Fiat 500 did in Italy, and the Model T Ford originally did here.

Since the thread topic is about wheel-gaps, the 2CV certainly had an unusual wheel-well style in itself. But, of course, back then, almost nothing in the styling or execution of French cars was normal by American standards.

Old 06-08-18, 04:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

What is in question here, and what the OP inquired, is "why" people lower their cars. I am addressing the "why," by pointing out a different level of enthusiasts. No where was it said those who like cars in general (such as MMarshall and myself) are not enthusiasts. The point here is there are different levels of it, and a massive market to support the more aggressive sides of it.
Old 06-08-18, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What is in question here, and what the OP inquired, is "why" people lower their cars. I am addressing the "why," by pointing out a different level of enthusiasts. No where was it said those who like cars in general (such as MMarshall and myself) are not enthusiasts. The point here is there are different levels of it, and a massive market to support the more aggressive sides of it.

Sometimes it's difficult, though, to draw the line between "customization" and slamming.
Old 06-08-18, 04:52 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

mmarshall,
Wow, that pic brings back memories. I had that car in Europe when I was 15 y.o.(same color). The legal driving age was 18 (or maybe 21), but I had my driver's permit from the the U.S. and they didn't differentiate because they didn't know. Although that pic is from a more modern 12 volt car, the wheel gap is almost the same. Funny thing was. the car could lean so much is almost disappeared on steep slopes, but never did it toppled over. I once took a 16 km trip, with 17--seventeen-- people on board!!. I drove and shouted to somebody what gear to engage since I couldn't reach it. No gap to be found.
One more car to add to your great list : Spain's Seat 600--which we also had--, a 0.6 liter engine. Back in the day it was considered an upgrade to Fiat's 500, a 0.5 liter engine. Fiat eventually bought Seat.
Old 06-09-18, 04:42 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sometimes it's difficult, though, to draw the line between "customization" and slamming.
Its really not hard.

Slamming or “stance” scene is just a category in a huge universe of modifying cars.
Just like Hot Rods and Muscle Cars are vastly different.

If you know anything about modifications you are able to know differences pretty easy.

Some modify for track duty, some for show, some to be different etc etc
Old 06-09-18, 04:01 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Still doesn't look right, though.
Doing all those changes to a luxury car to try to, what? Go faster?
I'm not only referring to lowering the car.
There was a time that having a quiet car was a desirable thing. Now people delete this, add that, making cars loud.
Old 06-09-18, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Its really not hard.

Slamming or “stance” scene is just a category in a huge universe of modifying cars.
Just like Hot Rods and Muscle Cars are vastly different.

Street rods were arguably the original muscle cars.
Old 06-09-18, 06:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I've dropped all my sports sedans and sports cars over the years as I simply like the look. Wheel looks bigger and car just looks more planted with a better stance especially with the right wider and larger diameter wheels. However, not slammed, just an inch or so drop.
Old 06-09-18, 06:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Still doesn't look right, though.
to you.

Doing all those changes to a luxury car to try to, what? Go faster?
people lower cars for two reasons - looks, and handling. some people do the looks at the expense of handling. some people do the handling at the expense of ride quality.
but like all things it's a compromise. i had run midlly lowering my gs when i had it, and it looked WORLDS better than the factory setup. it was by no means 'slammed'.

There was a time that having a quiet car was a desirable thing. Now people delete this, add that, making cars loud.
well that's a different topic... i'm with you, i prefer a quiet car. when i see fart can old civics and integras on the road i can only laugh and shudder at the thought of driving with all that racket all the time.
Old 06-10-18, 03:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I've dropped all my sports sedans and sports cars over the years as I simply like the look. Wheel looks bigger and car just looks more planted with a better stance especially with the right wider and larger diameter wheels. However, not slammed, just an inch or so drop.
Agreed.....an inch or so is probably not a big deal, if you like the look. In most cases, I don't, but I respect your opinion.
Old 06-10-18, 06:20 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

I am finding all these answers very interesting. They have explained the rationale to this particular cohort of people, which seems to be one of moderation.
However, in my opinion, it appears not to be in line with what seems to be the more common theme, lower is better.
I respect everybody's opinion--whether I agree with it or not--; after all, it's not my car and it's not my money.
I am guessing that age has a lot to do with this. I suspect that people in my age group (50+) are not the ones doing this.
Old 06-10-18, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed.....an inch or so is probably not a big deal, if you like the look. In most cases, I don't, but I respect your opinion.
I bet you’ve seen cars lowered “an inch or so” and not even realized they were lowered. That’s a very subtle difference.

I’m not a car modder at all. But, I see what people mean when they talk about wheel gap on Lexus sedans, especially AWD Lexus sedans. My GS had HUGE gap, and it definitely impacted the look of the car. Would I have modified it to improve that? No. But I can see why somebody would.

My AWD LS was better, and my RWD LS now has a great ride height and stance IMHO.

To each their own. I would suggest spending less time worrying about and judging the choices people make with their time, money and property and just focus on your own life and the things you enjoy doing.

For instance, I like clean cars and I’m always out in the driveway cleaning/washing etc. Do my neighbors think I’m weird? I know they do, because they jibe me about it. Do I care? No. I would never spend my time working on my yard or house, people who
spend tons of money renovating their houses? Mines got a kitchen and it’s not ugly and we can cook in it. That’s all a kitchen matters to me. Bathrooms? I poop in there. I don’t take pictures of it. But, do I go around asking “what sort of people are doing this stuff, and why?!” No lol.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-10-18 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-10-18, 07:09 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

To each their own. I would suggest spending less time worrying about and judging the choices people make with their time, money and property and just focus on your own life and the things you enjoy doing.

For instance, I like clean cars and I’m always out in the driveway cleaning/washing etc. Do my neighbors think I’m weird? I know they do, because they jibe me about it. Do I care? No. I would never spend my time working on my yard or house, people who
spend tons of money renovating their houses? Mines got a kitchen and it’s not ugly and we can cook in it. That’s all a kitchen matters to me. Bathrooms? I poop in there. I don’t take pictures of it. But, do I go around asking “what sort of people are doing this stuff, and why?!” No lol
SW17LS,
Let's get something perfectly clear. I'll make it simple.
I asked a question in this thread. I do not think I have offended anybody, it definitely never crossed my mind, but if I did let me apologize.
Your negative contribution to this thread is not only rude and crude, but distasteful and way out of place.
As to your suggestion, I would search the meaning of curiosity vs worrying and/or judging, which you seem to do. By stating that you do not care about what your neighbor's think, I can only wonder how far does that go; obviously you do not care or respect other people's opinion.
Please do not tell me what to focus on in my life; just keep on doing your own thing and do not insult me.
Take your opinion to your bathroom, would you? Apparently you know what to do in there.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-10-18 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-10-18, 07:10 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I am finding all these answers very interesting. They have explained the rationale to this particular cohort of people, which seems to be one of moderation.
However, in my opinion, it appears not to be in line with what seems to be the more common theme, lower is better.
I respect everybody's opinion--whether I agree with it or not--; after all, it's not my car and it's not my money.
I am guessing that age has a lot to do with this. I suspect that people in my age group (50+) are not the ones doing this.
LOL - go to a Corvette or Mustang meet, plenty of middle aged guys there with modified cars.

I was at a Porsche event yesterday which also had old people there even in the 70s.
Most 911s come perfect from factory so no point to lower them.
This is perfect fitment:

Quick Reply: Help me understand wheel gap avoidance