Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Took my Yukon to dealership for a simple tranny fluid drain and fill, now undriveable

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
The rest have all been 3800s and truck engines. My mom had a 94 Silhouette with the 3800 and my god, I still remember how that thing hauled ***, lol. It would peel out all day long.
If you remember, they used to call the Silhouette (and its corporate sisters) the Dust-Buster minivans.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-18 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Back to the problem at hand, of course, hope things work out for you on that tranny.......good luck.

On a slightly unrelated note, what do you think of the brakes on that generation of Yukon? That generation of large, full-size GM trucks and SUVs were noted for unresponsive, high-effort, unreliable, Push-and-Pray brakes....many reviewers commented on that. I went shopping once, a number of years ago, with my ex-supervisor, after he retired, for a brand-new 2002 or 2003 (can't remember) Yukon XL, to help him find one to is satisfaction and get through the deal...he had had two previous Suburbans and liked them both. I remember I was amazed at the high pedal-pressure it took to even slow that big barge down from higher speeds, much less stop it. I checked the brake fluid level...it was fine, and no warning lights. I told him I had some misgivings about the brakes (so did his son-in-law, who also test-drove it), but he bought it anyway.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-18 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 07:00 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 229 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back to the problem at hand, of course, hope things work out for you on that tranny.......good luck.

On a slightly unrelated note, what do you think of the brakes on that generation of Yukon? That generation of large, full-size GM trucks and SUVs were noted for unresponsive, high-effort, unreliable, Push-and-Pray brakes....many reviewers commented on that. I went shopping once, a number of years ago, with my ex-supervisor, after he retired, for a brand-new 2002 or 2003 (can't remember) Yukon XL, to help him find one to is satisfaction and get through the deal...he had had two previous Suburbans and liked them both. I remember I was amazed at the high pedal-pressure it took to even slow that big barge down from higher speeds, much less stop it. I checked the brake fluid level...it was fine, and no warning lights. I told him I had some misgivings about the brakes (so did his son-in-law, who also test-drove it), but he bought it anyway.

LOL that's exactly what hers looked like. I actually liked the look, I thought it was futuristic. And man it sure hauled. She had come from an incomprehensibly slow '91 Galant making 102hp to the van with the 3800 with 225lb/ft. Those older 3800s weren't "fast", but they had a hell of a bottom end. Lots of tickets, lol.

I just got the truck back and I can tell a slight improvement in shifting, hard to explain in words the difference but yes I'm glad I did it!! So this whole debacle is resolved.

Brakes are ok I guess, I mean it's a truck so I'm not expecting "good brakes" per se. You do have to put a lot of pressure to brake, yes. When I get into my LS430 it's wayyyyy touchier. But I have no problem getting used to it, back and forth, so it's not really an issue for me personally.
Old 06-08-18, 11:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Go drive a 90's GM truck or Suburban, the brakes on the 99-06 generation trucks are light years ahead of that bullcrap. You literally push the pedal an inch or 2 before you get any meaningful braking on a 90's GM truck.

Getting back to the transmission, the 4L60e is fine in the trucks/suvs provided you don't tow heavy often and drive like grandma. Same thing with that same transmission in the 90's fbody, drive like grandma, it lasts. But burnouts, hard launches at the drag strip, that is normal fbody use IMO, its a performance drag car, they should have put a better transmission in it IMO.
Old 06-09-18, 12:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You took your vehicle in that was working fine, had them do a service, and now it is basically un drive able after they did the service. If the transmission is blown they owe you a new transmission or at least give you a hell of a discount. You did the right thing by turning right around when you had problem right away so they can't try to blame it on you or say we bare no responsibility. Just stick to your guns and keep blaming it on them, vehicle ran fine when brought in, now damaged right after they worked on it though I don't know how a simple drain and fill could possibly ruin a transmission unless they really over/under filled it or accidentally did a flush. Keep speaking to people higher up in the chain when they keep denying and blaming you or the old transmission, hopefully they will at least get you a very good deal/price on a new transmission if that is the issue. Try cleaning your truck up too if you can to make it not look as worn.

Last edited by UDel; 06-10-18 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-09-18, 09:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

I always make sure my cars are pristine when they go into the shop, IMHO it shows pride of ownership and gets them treated right.
Old 06-09-18, 11:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If you remember, they used to call the Silhouette (and its corporate sisters) the Dust-Buster minivans.

I always thought GM designers were watching a bit too much Star Trek: The Next Generation

Old 06-10-18, 03:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
You took your vehicle in that was working fine, had them do a service, and now it is basically un drive able after they did the service. If the transmission is blown they owe you a new transmission or at least give you a hell of a discount. You did the right thing by turning right around when you had problem right away so they can't try to blame it on you or say we bare no responsibility. Just stick to your guns and keep blaming it on them, vehicle ran fine when brought in, now damaged right after they worked on it though I don't know how a simple drain and fill could possibly ruin a transmission unless they really over/under filled it or accidentally did a flush. Keep speaking to people higher up in the chain when they keep denying and blaming you or the old transmission, hopefully they will at least get you a very good deal/price on a new transmission if that is the issue. Try cleaning your truck up too if you can to make it not look as worn.
It was a simple connection they forgot, which I suspected. Whew. I was just stressing over it because it could have turned into a huge hassle, which I'm sure they would have made right but still, I shouldn't have to take time out of my day to fight with a dealership etc. Nevertheless it's resolved, and I can tell an improvement in shifting! I was only 20k over the recommended interval. Fluid wasn't black and/or burned but it wasn't pink anymore, either.
Old 06-10-18, 03:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I always make sure my cars are pristine when they go into the shop, IMHO it shows pride of ownership and gets them treated right.
I couldn't take the hail dents out etc., but I hear ya lol.

One more thing I'd like to add, is wow, we really do have the best forums here. The GM forums I went on were a joke, I got nothing but attitude and "now whose fault is this?" from exact same post. (I just copied and pasted) I'm like, "really?" I shouldn't have even bothered.
Old 06-10-18, 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Yeah, this is an unusually good forum in many ways i agree!
Old 06-10-18, 06:03 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I couldn't take the hail dents out etc., but I hear ya lol.

One more thing I'd like to add, is wow, we really do have the best forums here. The GM forums I went on were a joke, I got nothing but attitude and "now whose fault is this?" from exact same post. (I just copied and pasted) I'm like, "really?" I shouldn't have even bothered.
Yup. I sold my Lexus 3 years ago, but I still like Car Chat--always some great tidbits to learn here.
Old 06-11-18, 06:46 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

I had a 1996 and 2001 Yukon and had no issues with the brakes or transmission. The first owner of my current 2000 2500 4x4 was a contractor that installed infrastructure (roads, drainage, utilities, etc). Truck was driven by one of his superintendents, so used hard. Transmission was replaced at 125k. When I bought it from him, the truck had about 175k mi on it. I haven't had any issues with transmission or brakes.