Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who has cut the ties with XM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 11:49 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

Just me, I'd be less willing to provide a checking acct#, than a CC#, although I see your implication....you can dispute a transaction on a CC, but unless fraud, CC cos. will put the charge back when the merchant claims it's valid, then it's on your credit report that you disputed a valid charge (internal to the cc co.). Meaning you can't simply dispute a charge if say you forgot it would auto renew, etc. The only sure fire way to get charges removed, is to work it out with the merchant, and they remove it. It's a myth that a consumer can easily dispute any/all credit card charges--the merchant holds all the power.
My concern is how secure are the files that have all the CC numbers? I recently had my cc number stolen somehow and had charges at Walmart that I never made. Impressive was that Walmart called me to ask if the charges were valid. The bad thing is I had to cancel that CC account and create a new one and wait for a new credit card. I'm limiting how many places have my CC on file especially XM which I have no respect for.
Old 06-04-18, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'm limiting how many places have my CC on file especially XM which I have no respect for.
If you don't trust the people at XM with your credit-card number (and I can understand your concern...I'm careful myself about who I give it to), XM allows you to pay by check, and send it through the mail. That's what I do, although I try to charge as much as feasible on my daily/monthly bills to get the Reward-Points on my credit card, which one can redeem for gift-cards and other rewards. I especially like the Starbucks gift-cards.
Old 06-04-18, 03:27 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you don't trust the people at XM with your credit-card number (and I can understand your concern...I'm careful myself about who I give it to), XM allows you to pay by check, and send it through the mail. That's what I do, although I try to charge as much as feasible on my daily/monthly bills to get the Reward-Points on my credit card, which one can redeem for gift-cards and other rewards. I especially like the Starbucks gift-cards.
I also pay by check. That way they don't have my CC number and can't just charge me the going rate for the next year. I get the bill, I call and tell them I only listen to a few stations, they cut the bill by half, I tell them good, send me a bill & I will mail a check.
Old 06-04-18, 03:32 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Strange that you find agents speak not so good English. That has never crossed my mind, and I have had to call every 6 mos. back to early 2012. What do you have against the way people speak in Wisconsin? Then again maybe you mean prior to when I started calling in 2012.
When you call to cancel you are definitely not talking to someone in Wisconsin, you are transferred to a different country normally with someone who does not speak English very well and follows a script, I can normally get what they say and as long as we agree on the monthly rate I don't mind too much but it is a song and dance every 6 months.
Old 06-04-18, 03:38 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
I also pay by check. That way they don't have my CC number and can't just charge me the going rate for the next year. I get the bill, I call and tell them I only listen to a few stations, they cut the bill by half, I tell them good, send me a bill & I will mail a check.
Exactly, they used to automatically without my permission charge my credit card the much higher rate if I forgot to call after it expired, that is how I originally found out how much they were raising rates when I looked at the CC statement. Anyway I tell them I will pay by check and just send me a check though now they claim they will not under any circumstances charge your credit card under the new rate if you go by credit card, not sure how much I believe them but I might have paid by CC last time to avoid some silly check fee. I will see how it turns out.
Old 06-04-18, 03:58 PM
t18c97
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the folks worried about giving SiriusXM your credit card number and auto renewal, see if your card issuer has vitural card numbers available. My bank allows be to get a virtual number which I can set a fixed dollar amount on and experation date. Then if you forget to call in and get a new deal when they try to auto renew it will be declined by the bank.
Old 06-04-18, 05:21 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by t18c97
For the folks worried about giving SiriusXM your credit card number and auto renewal, see if your card issuer has vitural card numbers available. My bank allows be to get a virtual number which I can set a fixed dollar amount on and experation date. Then if you forget to call in and get a new deal when they try to auto renew it will be declined by the bank.
in which case they then charge you late fees for the declined card.
Old 06-04-18, 06:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Strange that you find agents speak not so good English. That has never crossed my mind, and I have had to call every 6 mos. back to early 2012. What do you have against the way people speak in Wisconsin? Then again maybe you mean prior to when I started calling in 2012.
I find that they all speak perfectly good English--but they definitely, for the most part, have either an Eastern European or Middle Eastern accent.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Not sure I understand the Wisconsin comment- I've always spoken to someone who is clearly not from, or based in, the US. They're HQ'd in NYC (and DC I believe) but it seems clear the customer service agents are outsourced outside of the country based on the 12-15 interactions I've had.
I agree--no doubt in my mind on this.
Old 06-04-18, 06:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogerh00
My concern is how secure are the files that have all the CC numbers? I recently had my cc number stolen somehow and had charges at Walmart that I never made. Impressive was that Walmart called me to ask if the charges were valid. The bad thing is I had to cancel that CC account and create a new one and wait for a new credit card. I'm limiting how many places have my CC on file especially XM which I have no respect for.
And I had a store clerk at The Children's Place hand write down my credit card # while shopping there and charge $500 of baby clothes to my account a few days later. This is not an XM issue--it literally can happen anywhere you use a credit card. Is it a pain to call and cancel a CC--sure; but totally worth it because I know I'm not going to be liable for those charges.
Old 06-04-18, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
And I had a store clerk at The Children's Place hand write down my credit card # while shopping there and charge $500 of baby clothes to my account a few days later. This is not an XM issue--it literally can happen anywhere you use a credit card. Is it a pain to call and cancel a CC--sure; but totally worth it because I know I'm not going to be liable for those charges.
In some cases, you might be out the first $50 or $60, but that's it....Federal and state laws usually cap it there. Some banks or credit-card issuers might even cover it for you as a favor to good customers.
Old 06-04-18, 06:15 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

In some cases, you might be out the first $50 or $60, but that's it....Federal and state laws usually cap it there. Some banks or credit-card issuers might even cover it for you as a favor to good customers.
I realize that the law allows credit card companies to charge you $50--none of them ever do; not any decent bank, anyway.
Old 06-04-18, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I realize that the law allows credit card companies to charge you $50--none of them ever do; not any decent bank, anyway.

That's what I was saying in my previous post about banks and good-will to loyal customers. Fortunately, I have never had any significant credit-card fraud to deal with, but my bank did irk me once by shutting down the credit-card computers one afternoon for maintenance.......as I recall, without any previous notice. I was once in Circuit City, a number of years ago, trying to buy something, when nobody could get my credit card to work, from the cashier-clerk all the way up to the store manager himself. It was embarrassing.....people around me were starting to give me funny looks, like I maybe was a crook trying to use stolen cards. I finally gave up and paid cash (I usually carry a good sum with me just for emergencies like that). I found out the next day, when I complained to the bank's customer-service, that they had shut the computers down that afternoon.
Old 06-05-18, 05:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

That's what I was saying in my previous post about banks and good-will to loyal customers. Fortunately, I have never had any significant credit-card fraud to deal with, but my bank did irk me once by shutting down the credit-card computers one afternoon for maintenance.......as I recall, without any previous notice. I was once in Circuit City, a number of years ago, trying to buy something, when nobody could get my credit card to work, from the cashier-clerk all the way up to the store manager himself. It was embarrassing.....people around me were starting to give me funny looks, like I maybe was a crook trying to use stolen cards. I finally gave up and paid cash (I usually carry a good sum with me just for emergencies like that). I found out the next day, when I complained to the bank's customer-service, that they had shut the computers down that afternoon.
I hope you canceled that card on the spot.
Old 06-05-18, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I hope you canceled that card on the spot.
I did drop the card a little later...but not for that reason.
Old 06-06-18, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Each to his (or her) own, I guess, but I listened to him a couple times when he first started doing his show, and I simply couldn't take the vulgarity and obscenity he was using. I lead a clean life, and strictly avoid that kind of stuff....don't even care to listen to it. He and his parent Infinity organization were fined by the FCC, but even that didn't stop it.
Doesn't surprise me at all you don't care for him. Thats why we have choices in entertainment, you don't have to listen to or watch what you don't like.

The key is though that just because you don't want to listen to it doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to listen to it.

Quick Reply: Who has cut the ties with XM?