Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who has cut the ties with XM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 08:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Who has cut the ties with XM?

After the trial that came with the car, or free with used car...I just call every 6 mos. and have been renewing at 2012 rates, 6 mos. for $24.99. My brother does the same, only he even gets the add'l Howard Stern stuff for that price.

The valid promotion is $30 for 6 mos., but I just request them to keep it the same as 2012.

What I was thinking was that in the amazon.com world, the account would simply be canceled since I am asking for a personalized price, as is my brother. And that in Bezos' world, you only do what he says.

I think sure maybe it's not worth $50/yr., but I let it slide...

My buddy who is a wheeler/dealer, for some reason, pays $114/6 mos. and doesn't want to call to get it down to $25. I would love to do that, but cannot....
Old 06-02-18, 08:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm on the $25 for 5 or 6 months on each cat. It's a pain to have to all every 6 months but for now I want to keep it mainly for the variety of choices when I get tired of the usual stuff. There are MANY who have cancelled after any trial period.
Old 06-02-18, 09:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
After the trial that came with the car, or free with used car...I just call every 6 mos. and have been renewing at 2012 rates, 6 mos. for $24.99. My brother does the same, only he even gets the add'l Howard Stern stuff for that price
Howard Stern? LOL.....give me a break.

Personally, I like the XM/Sirius account I have. I don't have the complaints with the sound-quality that some other people have, although I do think it's overpriced, especially compared to what your brother pays.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-18 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-02-18, 09:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I ditched it years ago. Sound quality is poor, reception is spotty, and I can customize what I want with Pandora. I really have no need for Sirius XM anymore.
Old 06-02-18, 09:21 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I can customize what I want with Pandora.
you play that thru your phone?
Old 06-02-18, 09:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Howard Stern? LOL.....give me a break.

Personally, I like the XM/Sirius account I have. I don't have the complaints with the sound-quality that some other people have, although I do think it's overpriced, especially compared to what your brother pays.
haha I agree. I do remember watching some special in the 90's at a New Year's Eve party, but that's it. When I got a free trial on the 2006 LS430 (in 2017), it had Howard Stern. I listened to it one time only, and I actually learned that Sheryl Crow was a dancer with Michael Jackson. Had no idea.

When I called to renew they renewed the wrong car, so bizzarre. Two accounts, with the only link being the same CC to pay. The difference is the Lexus was 5 mos for $25, now it is 6 mos. for $29.94. My wife's car is $24.94 for 6 mos. Again, my rationale is let's keep it the same as it was in 2012. And they have no problem with it. Thanks to their mistake the two cars are now coterminus. Like I said if amazon they'd probably turn off my utilities in addition to closing my account...
Old 06-02-18, 09:46 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I ditched it years ago. Sound quality is poor, reception is spotty, and I can customize what I want with Pandora. I really have no need for Sirius XM anymore.
Same here. I've never used Sirius or XM even with the free trials, I don't see the point of paying for commercials, and Sat radio has just as many as OTA radio.
Old 06-02-18, 09:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds
Same here. I've never used Sirius or XM even with the free trials, I don't see the point of paying for commercials, and Sat radio has just as many as OTA radio.
That's strange, are our receivers stripping out the commercials? When I listen to AM radio there are tons of commercials for rugs, enlargement services, roofing, etc. I haven't heard such on XM in the 6 yrs. we've had it.
Old 06-02-18, 10:39 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

That's strange, are our receivers stripping out the commercials? When I listen to AM radio there are tons of commercials for rugs, enlargement services, roofing, etc. I haven't heard such on XM in the 6 yrs. we've had it.
the couple of trials I had were pumped full of commercials, the main reason I never engaged with the product.

might depend on what you listen to. According to SiriusXM:

There are a handful of music channels not programmed by SiriusXM that air commercials. Many of our sports, news, talk and entertainment channels also carry commercials.
Old 06-02-18, 10:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I wonder what the retention rate is on all of the Sirius/XM trial periods that come with new vehicles? It must be very low considering how easy it is to get the $25 per 5 or 6 month rate.
Old 06-02-18, 11:00 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the company is so annoying, endless mail and even calls to get you to subscribe back. XM radio is fine, but its not great. I can live without it and I have enough FM presets to switch around to bypass commercials. Now that data is becoming cheaper, streaming from your phone isn't as dangerous as it was before.

Sound quality on older cars was bad, but newer cars are able to cope with it quite well. I can barely tell the difference between it and FM HD radio in my benz.
Old 06-02-18, 11:15 AM
kagete
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The music stations on XM have no ads, but all the talk channels have TONS of ads between segments. Sometimes it feels like there are 10 minutes of ads while listening to ESPN or NBA Radio. It's unfortunate that these are the primary reasons for keeping XM for me.
Old 06-02-18, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I've never heard a commercial on any music station on XM/Sirius in the 13+ years I've had it. There are commercials on the sports and talk stations, but not the music stations.

I've actually been listening to Pandora and Slacker a lot and have found I haven't been listening to XM that much lately...sound quality on them is much better.
Old 06-02-18, 02:24 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Ditched XM after the Trial. Nothing special about it to me. Have to listen to what they want randomly. Cant choose what and when I want. Sound quality not good. But I had No commercials when I had it.

I use Pandora and Tidal. Tidal is very high quality sound. You can tell the difference.
Old 06-02-18, 06:50 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

After the trial that came with the car, or free with used car...I just call every 6 mos. and have been renewing at 2012 rates, 6 mos. for $24.99. My brother does the same, only he even gets the add'l Howard Stern stuff for that price.

The valid promotion is $30 for 6 mos., but I just request them to keep it the same as 2012.

What I was thinking was that in the amazon.com world, the account would simply be canceled since I am asking for a personalized price, as is my brother. And that in Bezos' world, you only do what he says.

I think sure maybe it's not worth $50/yr., but I let it slide...

My buddy who is a wheeler/dealer, for some reason, pays $114/6 mos. and doesn't want to call to get it down to $25. I would love to do that, but cannot....
OMG, same here. My last renewal, Sirius XM was running an advertised promotion for 1 yr/$60 when I had 1 car expiring, so I renewed for that price; and then they agreed to renew my other car at that rate, so I had matching expiration dates. I told my neighbor--who same as your buddy, researches and works a deal for everything, and had his eyes almost pop out of his head when I told him about 6/$25--and I gave him the heads up about the 1/$60 promo. He called, they told him "Oh that's only for new customers", and he said thanks and hung up. And then I pointed out to him that I wasn't a new customer, and he just said ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I wonder what the retention rate is on all of the Sirius/XM trial periods that come with new vehicles? It must be very low considering how easy it is to get the $25 per 5 or 6 month rate.
You don't think they overprice it so they can then discount it so that we all think we are getting this amazing deal?

Last edited by tex2670; 06-02-18 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Who has cut the ties with XM?