Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Given what we know about Lexus' direction, will you consider a Lexus in the future?
Yes, I currently own a Lexus and would be interested in another
55.96%
Yes, I don't currently own a Lexus but I would be interested in buying one based on what I've seen
5.50%
No, I currently own a Lexus but I don't see myself buying another based on what I've seen
28.44%
No, I no longer own a Lexus and I based on what I've seen I don't anticipate buying another.
10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Are you driving or have you driven your last Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 06:46 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
to me lexus has done what the traditional american 'big 3' used to do - add 'go fast "looking" bits' inside and out whether they're functional, or useful or not, to make people 'feel' like they're buying something 'not boring'. it just feels inauthentic to me, and trying to be a poser. the german brands do all kinds of trim details and variations across trim levels of course but i think in general they're more subtle and classier. one of the reasons i got my g90 is because it's kind of a sleeper looking car... very classy all led lighting everywhere and the engine, suspension and adjustability make the car highly capable. i still can't believe how flat it corners and can spin the meaty 275s easily.
But will it last like a Lexus will? G90 is Def a very nice car......... but Hyundai is Not without some problems right now themselves.
Old 05-04-18, 06:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

I voted Yes but not a resounding one. I like their styling and reliability/low maint cost, but tech, engine performance, NVH, and interior materials are not class leading as they once were 10+ years ago.

I never thought I'd be in another brand besides Lexus but goes to show other manufacturers have stepped their game and got my business. My "yes" is in the hope the next IS will be as good as the Stinger and I may come back, otherwise lots of other good new cars coming.

P.S. Our current '17 RX is nice but build quality is a bit disappointing (dash squeaks and fit issues). We likely won't keep it for longer than another year. The new RDX, XC60, and QX50 caught our attention. We'll see...

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-04-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 07:26 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

P.S. Our current '17 RX is nice but build quality is a bit disappointing (dash squeaks and fit issues). We likely won't keep it for longer than another year. The new RDX, XC60, and QX50 caught our attention. We'll see...
Have you taken your RX back to the dealer to fix/investigate? That's one thing I love about Lexus: the dealership experience. On my Q50, I practically have to beg them to look at my car for issues, while a simple observation or annoyance on our 17' RX and Lexus would be jumping to satisfy us. I wonder how the Kia dealer treats you with the same issues in your Stinger?
Old 05-04-18, 07:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Have you taken your RX back to the dealer to fix/investigate? That's one thing I love about Lexus: the dealership experience. On my Q50, I practically have to beg them to look at my car for issues, while a simple observation or annoyance on our 17' RX and Lexus would be jumping to satisfy us. I wonder how the Kia dealer treats you with the same issues in your Stinger?
Lexus service is tops but no issues with Kia service either. No issues with my local Toyota dealer either wrt routine maintenance I sometimes do with them. In short, little differentiation with service too nowadays.
Old 05-04-18, 07:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Lexus service is tops but no issues with Kia service either. No issues with my local Toyota dealer either wrt routine maintenance I sometimes do with them. In short, little differentiation with service too nowadays.
I've been seeing the G70 reviews come out. It's a better drivers car than the Stinger due to the smaller size. It will be interesting to see what BMw brings now. It's definitely pricier though and it's straddling the RS3 price. Near $60k I'd definitely go RS3
Old 05-04-18, 08:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Absolutely. I have gone back and forth between Lexus and Audi for the past 20 years. Both are stellar brands that afford modern and stately offerings. The reliability and low stress levels of Lexus ownership are fantastic. The dealer treatment at Lexus has been so amazing, that one fact weighs in very heavily with my future purchase decisions. Audi also has their act together, and I like that you don't see one on the road too often. Tough decisions.
Old 05-04-18, 08:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've been seeing the G70 reviews come out. It's a better drivers car than the Stinger due to the smaller size. It will be interesting to see what BMw brings now. It's definitely pricier though and it's straddling the RS3 price. Near $60k I'd definitely go RS3
Where are you seeing prices in USD? I know the Canadian prices I saw (link) worked out to be far cheaper than even a fully loaded IS 350.
Old 05-04-18, 08:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
But will it last like a Lexus will? G90 is Def a very nice car......... but Hyundai is Not without some problems right now themselves.
not sure what hyundai problems you're referring to but so far so good with the g90. as far as "will it last like a lexus will?" who knows, but i don't plan to keep it longer than probably 3 years.

as many know i'm no fan of consumer reports but they rank genesis #1

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...vehicles-2018/
Old 05-04-18, 09:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Where are you seeing prices in USD? I know the Canadian prices I saw (link) worked out to be far cheaper than even a fully loaded IS 350.
The Kia Stinger is far cheaper in Canada than the US. I read it somewhere the G70 will top out around mid/high $50s from the car mags. Even at $55k, so close in price to the RS3 with specs that I want. I'm sure a less equipped one could be cheaper than $50k though
Old 05-05-18, 06:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

not sure what hyundai problems you're referring to but so far so good with the g90. as far as "will it last like a lexus will?" who knows, but i don't plan to keep it longer than probably 3 years.

US News ranks the G90 #2 in its segment which includes some established Tesla, MB, Audi, BMW etc. models. They used data from 9 sources in their ranking.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...ury-large-cars
Old 05-05-18, 07:58 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I dunno what is going to happen for me when my leases are up. I might end up buying my 18 GS350 and my 16 RCF at the end of the leases just because there's nothing really that attracts my interest now or upcoming anytime soon and I really like both cars I currently have. Unless they update the RCF with something more powerful or lighter, I doubt I'd trade in mine in and then the rumors of the GS being discontinued and replaced just by an ES grinds my gears... I don't like the direction Lexus is taking with the looks either. I feel like they are going back to the bland and just reliable car for grandpa. I don't like the look of the new ES but I haven't seen it in person, I have seen the LS and the interior is great but the exterior is "meh" IMHO... I still like the IS but I wish they would improve the hp by more than a couple ponies... a 400hp IS would be great. The other cars I like are the LX and the LC but both are too much money so if I don't buy my leases at the end, I would most likely go somewhere else. I almost traded in the 15 GS, before I got the 18 GS, for an Audi or an Infiniti since Lexus couldn't seem to find me the right car for the right price
Old 05-05-18, 08:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The way I see it is time. How long does a person live, 80, 90, 100? Might not live long enough to get another Lexus.

In my lifetime (I get rid of the one when 19), I have purchased 3 brand new cars. Then, I purchased a 4th used car. All four are in my driveway. the 4th used car is a 2006 Lexus, which has had zero problems since getting it in 10/16. Over on the 3rd gen forum, these cars do 200k with ease, 300k probably. If I'm at 104k, how long will it take me to reach even 200k? Probably first and only Lexus. Each one of my cars are a first and only. And I would like to think that each was a this or that from its time. Barring the Lexus (I don't think it was in 2006), 2/3 of the other 2 cars were C&D 10 Best cars. So there had to have been something good about them (they are not Accords).
Old 05-05-18, 10:06 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I also like the Genesis G's. But they have not yet had enough time to prove out worthy of 300k plus miles like the Lexus's and others, just my Opinion. Understand you may not keep long, but long term will be the test of time, and be the G's Legacy to and for Current and Future Owners. I normally pick cars I like, and like to keep them for many miles trouble free and maintain them well.

Problems I'm talking about are the 1.7 million engines failure that Hyundai /Kia just recalled. It took them years to admit it, and they denied the Owners assistance for Years, until a Class Action Suit was filed.

We just added a Kia Optima SXL Turbo that we bought to the Family. I did not hear of the Recall until after we bought it. There are some small issue already with it. Not anything total Engine related. But small quality issues like Chrome Trim Bubbling up, water in tail light seal, and other. One morning something happened driving to work and it would not make or go into Boost at all? Reminded me the their products are still not to HondaAcura, Toyota/Lexus Quality yet IMO, and my experience Owning.

Hyundai/Kia has also had Wastegate failure issues on the 4cyl and V6 Turbo's ( Likely what happen to our SXL Turbo). I still do like the Optima SXL Turbo tho, like you like your G, but........ Just based on all, not sure I would step up to the Top Line Kia Stinger or Genesis $40k - $65 cost right now. Maybe if my 1st one was a G, I may feel different. But Like wise I'm sure the Large Engine failure problems and how Hyundia/Kia didn't handle it, has left a Bad taste in some Owners mouths with considering another Hyundai/Kia purchase at this point in time being so recent still.

This is why I gave up Totally on Audi, BMW and MB years ago. Warranty or No Warranty, to much going to the Shop time, no matter how well you maintain. I not there on Hyundai/Kia yet. But......... Im still looking hard at the Stinger.

Last edited by jgscott; 05-05-18 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-05-18, 04:36 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 378 Likes on 256 Posts

I "voted" as a current owner and likely to buy another Lexus..... (but no clue what model).

We still own all 3 Lexus cars we have purchased over the years. (See signature block.)

The '92 SC was purchased new and was traded around the family and when I got it back in mid '11 it went through an extensive make over and "resto-mod" path (so it does "not count" as it is far from it's original state).

The '01 LS430 was purchased used from a Lexus dealer in '04. The '14 LS460 was purchased used (also a Lexus dealer) in late '15. We are very spoiled by these platforms and plan to drive them for a long while. I have one eye open for a '04-06 LS430 just because...

As for the next Lexus, only an RX for the wife or a previously owned (and hopefully greatly depreciated) LC for me would be on the list from the current lineup. Overall I share the view of many above that the Lexus models, apart from the overpriced LC, is unappealing to me. As for the other brands, none of those do much for me enough to consider them (at this time).

Still, an interesting question that Steve posed and maybe there are corporate Lexus "lurkers" that may heed some of these opinions/views enough to understand that they are facing steep competition. The move to "all electric" cars has yet to materialize but those drums are beating....
Old 05-05-18, 11:41 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I currently own a Lexus and my family has only either driven Toyota or Lexus. While I may disagree with the discontinuation of the Lexus GS (if its true) (which is one of the cars that formed the VIP scene), I will still stick with Lexus over any other car brand.

Quick Reply: Are you driving or have you driven your last Lexus?