Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Given what we know about Lexus' direction, will you consider a Lexus in the future?
Yes, I currently own a Lexus and would be interested in another
55.96%
Yes, I don't currently own a Lexus but I would be interested in buying one based on what I've seen
5.50%
No, I currently own a Lexus but I don't see myself buying another based on what I've seen
28.44%
No, I no longer own a Lexus and I based on what I've seen I don't anticipate buying another.
10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Are you driving or have you driven your last Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 05:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts
Default Are you driving or have you driven your last Lexus?

With all the talk of Lexus discontinuing the GS, focusing on Toyota platform engineered transverse/FWD sedans and crossovers, many feeling they pulled their punches on the latest LS, I thought it would be interesting to post a poll on here as to whether people feel like perhaps the Lexus they have is the last Lexus they'll be interested in buying. Perhaps people have already moved on from Lexus and don't see themselves coming back.

For me, if Lexus isn't going to invest in cars built on luxury platforms with longitudinal/RWD layouts, if they're going to abandon V8 power in the LS, then I don't see how I can purchase another Lexus after this one. I love the brand, love the reliability, love the fact that they last forever and can be worked on by anybody, but I want a true, premium luxury car...and IMHO that is not what they are presenting with the ES, RX, NX, UX, which seems to be all they're really "all-in" on right now.

Please vote and post your thoughts.
Old 05-03-18, 05:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's getting pretty thin for our family. my wife is already not with lexus and she sees little point in having lexus. i am still driving my gs but as of now there is very high chance i will not stay with the brand. simply put, there is nothing in the lexus lineup that excites me. LS? i would easily pick the S-class over it. LC? nice but i am not 50 yr old yet. the main attractive point on lexus is still price, and that's what kept me in the brand when i got my 2015 GS and 2016 GS.
Old 05-03-18, 05:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Bring me a 3.5L TT V6 with ~350-400hp on an IS and I'll consider it. If not, I'm going Audi / BMW / Merc. I think Audi's lowest RS model outperforms everything Lexus has ever produced outside of the LFA. Lexus needs to step up its game against their competition.
Old 05-03-18, 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
it's getting pretty thin for our family. my wife is already not with lexus and she sees little point in having lexus. i am still driving my gs but as of now there is very high chance i will not stay with the brand. simply put, there is nothing in the lexus lineup that excites me. LS? i would easily pick the S-class over it. LC? nice but i am not 50 yr old yet. the main attractive point on lexus is still price, and that's what kept me in the brand when i got my 2015 GS and 2016 GS.
And even with price though. With Genesis we have what seems like a company interested in building luxury cars the right way at an even bigger price delta.

Here's a question, would you lease a G80 Sport 5.0 V8 for $100 a month less than your 16 GS?
Old 05-03-18, 05:30 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Are you driving or have you driven your last Lexus?
Simple answer. No. I will be looking at the UX250h in December. New generation of AWD and hybrid transmission has my interest piqued.

---

New Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD used in gasoline engines:

By adopting a torque vectoring mechanism, which independently distributes torque to the left and right rear wheels according to driving conditions, the Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system enables the driver to steer the vehicle exactly as intended. It achieves high off-road performance even on the toughest roads. It also incorporates a disconnect mechanism, which features the world's first ratchet-type dog clutches* on both the front and rear wheel shafts. These clutches stop the drive system rotations, which transmit driving force to rear wheels when in 2WD mode, significantly reducing energy loss and improving fuel efficiency.

And E-Four AWD used in hybrids:

The new E-Four system will be used in hybrid vehicles. The system increases total torque to the rear wheels―which are electrically driven―by 30 percent compared to existing versions. By adopting a new control system that optimally distributes torque to the rear wheels based on the driving conditions, the E-Four system offers high off-road performance, handling, and stability.

Moreover, both the Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system and the new E-Four system feature AWD Integrated Management (AIM), which harmonizes engine, transmission, braking, and 4WD systems to offer superb handling and stability regardless of road surface conditions.

Then of course we have the LF-1 Limitless Concept

The Lexus LF-1’s exaggerated dash-to-axle ratio gives it an athletic profile that’s more sports car than station wagon. Combined with a cabin that sits deep within the rear-wheel drive chassis and aggressive 22-inch wheels barely contained under bulging fenders, the LF-1 has a powerful stance that conveys its performance intentions at a glance. The low roofline and elevated ride height further emphasize that this is a crossover designed for performance with practicality.

Source
Lexus won't be the only ones consolidating their stable of models in their portfolio. The next decade is a whole new frontier for the whole industry. Hoping Lexus can be one of the first with a powerful hydrogen fuel cell.
Old 05-03-18, 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Simple answer. No. I will be looking at the UX250h in December.
Ugh. Not about the new DTV AWD, but the vehicle itself just looks cheap and plasticky to me...and I hate hybrids.

Then of course we have the LF-1 Limitless Concept

Would be a GREAT vehicle for Lexus. If they build it I'll buy you one lol. Thats the problem.
Old 05-03-18, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I voted the second option. I once owned an IS300, but, as most of you know, currently do not own a Lexus. Given my (current) taste in vehicles, the Lexus ES is the only product the company makes that I would be interested in. No more RWD products for me, period...and I don't really need AWD any more (as with my Outback), since, with retirement, I don't drive as much in the snow. Though I like the comfort of an AWD LS, it is more than I care to spend for a car, especially since I typically get a new car every 4-6 years (5 on average). I am so pleased with my Lacrosse that I'll almost certainly get another one if it is still offered. But, if GM follows Ford out of the American sedan market (something I am very concerned about), and neither the Lacrosse and Impala become available any more, it will either be another new one of those while they are still available, or a look at a new ES, Lincoln MKZ (if Lincoln keeps its sedans), a Kia Cadenza, or an AWD Genesis G80. I will seriously consider an ES350 IF they don't screw it up with too-low-profile tires that ride like ****, skimpy sound insulation, or overly-firm seats.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-03-18 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 05:48 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Ugh. Not about the new DTV AWD, but the vehicle itself just looks cheap and plasticky to me...and I hate hybrids.

Would be a GREAT vehicle for Lexus. If they build it I'll buy you one lol. Thats the problem.
It's understandable, nor is it an appropriate vehicle for your line of work or the size of your family. The LS and other flagships suit you better . Hybrids aren't for everyone. The new LC500h and LS500h drive nice, but could use some extra electric ponies and/or FI to assist. Hoping in 2-3 years the new Solid State batteries that Toyota and Panasonic are collaborating on will be better. Lexus could draw some interest with a 700hp LS EV

Hah! Deal. Taking a screenshot

Regardless of what happens I'll probably always be a Lexus and Ford supporter.
Old 05-03-18, 05:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hah! Deal. Taking a screenshot
I sure hope they prove me wrong LOL

Or, maybe I don't?
Old 05-03-18, 05:54 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I sure hope they prove me wrong LOL

Or, maybe I don't?
Depends what the base price is lol
Old 05-03-18, 06:14 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Sadly, this would probably be my last Lexus. Everything about this brand is wrong right now.
Lexus has no flagship sedan. I am sorry, but 5LS is no longer a direct competitor to the S-Class. Can you really picture a Queen of England or chancellor Merkel in the 5LS ? I can't.
No more midsize sedan (in Europe only for now). That's a big market where Lexus no longer competes with 5 series and E class.
No V8's, decade old engines. All the F cars are sharing the same 10 year old engine. Outdated technology and navigation systems.
They have done everything wrong in the last 10 years.
Just sharing my thoughts no hard feelings
Old 05-03-18, 06:25 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Sadly, this would probably be my last Lexus. Everything about this brand is wrong right now.
Lexus has no flagship sedan. I am sorry, but 5LS is no longer a direct competitor to the S-Class. Can you really picture a Queen of England or chancellor Merkel in the 5LS ? I can't.
No more midsize sedan (in Europe only for now). That's a big market where Lexus no longer competes with 5 series and E class.
No V8's, decade old engines. All the F cars are sharing the same 10 year old engine. Outdated technology and navigation systems.
They have done everything wrong in the last 10 years.
Just sharing my thoughts no hard feelings
That's your opinion which is great. Just to play devils advocate, this line of thinking is a little snobbish, and proves 'Luxury' is an individuals choice not 'Society'. Point in case the Emperor of Japan's official vehicle is the latest third generation Toyota Century utilizing the LS600hL powertrain (5.0L V8 + hybrid drive). And yes that is a CLOTH interior. Why? Because leather squeaks.. Luxury is more than a badge, and truly about the experience. But if a badge makes someone happy, well then that is a choice too. No harm, no foul. Buy what makes one happy

Old 05-03-18, 06:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I should never say never but at this point I probably won't own another Lexus. Over the past few years I've enjoyed sampling brands that I've never had before. Recently I've tried two BMW's as well as two Audi. I won't rule out a Genesis in the near future.
Old 05-03-18, 07:03 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The two Lexus that interest me now are LX570 & LC500. I don't see myself getting another Lexus anytime soon.

1. Don't want to give up the SC430 for a non-convertible LC.
2. Wife complaints the LX570 is too big for her to drive.
Old 05-03-18, 07:32 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

That's your opinion which is great. Just to play devils advocate, this line of thinking is a little snobbish, and proves 'Luxury' is an individuals choice not 'Society'. Point in case the Emperor of Japan's official vehicle is the latest third generation Toyota Century utilizing the LS600hL powertrain (5.0L V8 + hybrid drive). And yes that is a CLOTH interior. Why? Because leather squeaks.. Luxury is more than a badge, and truly about the experience. But if a badge makes someone happy, well then that is a choice too. No harm, no foul. Buy what makes one happy
Luxury is always about “style”, “comfort” and “prestige”. Looking at the new LS, it’s a tasteless disaster on wheels. I have nothing bad to say about the interior, it is not perfect, but it’s not the best either.

If Luxury was an individual choice, then we would not have brands like Bentley, Roll Royce and Mercedes. These brands dictate what Luxury is. Similar to Georgio Armani, Versace, Gucci, they dictate what you will wear this or next season. It is never about “you” or “me”.

Lexus is clearly trying differentiate itself, but what they don’t realize is that they are alienating themselves instead.

Quick Reply: Are you driving or have you driven your last Lexus?