Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Given what we know about Lexus' direction, will you consider a Lexus in the future?
Yes, I currently own a Lexus and would be interested in another
55.96%
Yes, I don't currently own a Lexus but I would be interested in buying one based on what I've seen
5.50%
No, I currently own a Lexus but I don't see myself buying another based on what I've seen
28.44%
No, I no longer own a Lexus and I based on what I've seen I don't anticipate buying another.
10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Are you driving or have you driven your last Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 09:30 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I chose to get the `17 LS instead of the new `18 LS because my 17 LS is the last example of the sort of car that Lexus has historically built. Its spacious, soft and quiet, has a nice smooth V8. The new LS as an example of what Lexus is building going forward doesn't appeal to me. Its too small inside, too handling focused, no more V8, etc.

As an example, I had the 17 into my independent Lexus mechanic last week to change the oil at 5k miles (I didn't want to wait until 10k). He posted a picture of it on his FB page "The end of an era, one of the last Lexus LS made with a V8"
I saw your posts on the new LS page and was surprised you bought a 17'. As I said, I'm not knocking you as everyone has their own reasons.

It does feel like Lexus is changing quite a bit and it definitely has some old school folks shaking their heads. I cringe sometimes at the styling they've introduced, and wonder what happened to the design team that introduced the gorgeously styled SC300/400.

However, as anything in life, Lexus has evolved and realized that sedans are a dieing breed, and the only way they can counter the SUV craze is to make their cars more sports oriented to differentiate their vehicles.

Making sacrifices like having less interior room on ur flagship to have a front mid mounted engine for the sake of handling is not very Lexus like, but I like the risks they've taken. I just hope they start adapting the same philosophy to their powertains already!

As someone who has both a 400hp V8 and a 400hp V6 TT, I can understand the smooth and aural sense you get from a V8. However, the V6 TT has quite a mid-range punch and can be as quiet (albeit less engaging) then it's NA counterpart.

At any rate, the 17' should last you quite a while and hopefully you do stay in the Toyco/Lexus family, when they have something (LF1) you crave again....

​​​​

​​​​
Old 05-04-18, 09:37 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I truly do not know how to answer this question (or I just don't want to accept my probably answer). I've thoroughly enjoyed each Lexus I've owned, with my current GS being my favorite. I quite like the new LS, but I simply don't want something so large. I don't want to go any bigger than my GS.

I have about a year left on my GS lease. At this point, I suspect I'll just buy it out. I don't feel like I'm ready to get rid of it yet. But if I was ready to turn it in at the end of the lease, I can't really say there is anything in the Lexus lineup that fits the bill. I had thought I would be trading it in on the next gen GS, but if there isn't one, then where does it leave me?

I think the new ES is absolutely fantastic, but I just have no desire to go back to FWD. I would like to stick with a mid sized, RWD based vehicle. If Lexus ends the GS, it kind of forces my hand, doesn't it?

If I had to do it now, I'd probably move over to a G80 (though the weight of that thing drives me crazy) or perhaps a Stinger. I have tremendous respect for the 5 series, so I'd at least check one out. I strongly dislike the E Class, and Audi doesn't appeal to me, even though I think they are great cars.

Perhaps I just talked my way through the question. I guess my answer is that it does indeed appear that I am on my last Lexus (unless my wife decides that she wants to trade in her Highlander and go back to an RX).
Very thoughtful response. The GS's supposed departure does make things interesting for fans of it. I know if money were no object I would have at least taken a look at a GS, myself, though now I do appreciate having a smaller vehicle for what benefits it has - mainly driving in-town doesn't stress me out as much as when I drive larger cars.

The G80 seems like the most logical option to consider if you have a GS given its price point and overall personality - though it's considerably less "sporty". I wonder what the next-gen G80 will be like? The current one surely won't be around for many more years - it's been available since 2014.

As for my answer, I can't really say - the IS is my FIRST Lexus after all. Honestly the G70 is at the top of my list when the lease end approaches, and I am kinda considering looking at the Germans' compact sedans as well - I like the S4 but based on its reception, I'm not sure if it'll be as fun to drive as what I want (which is, basically on par with the IS or better). Getting a newer IS is also an option. Part of me really wants to try and track down a 350 RWD F Sport, but those are uncommon since we have snow here.

As for what Lexus I might buy if not my DD, I've been trying to convince my wife to get an NX, since I think it suits the things she wants to get from a car - decent gas mileage, comfortable ride, not too low to the ground, good cargo space. However, something that calls itself an SUV is somewhat of a no-go for her - I think she drove a Nissan Xterra as a loaner once, which gave her a bad opinion of all SUVs/crossovers. I drove it a bit, too - it was rather high off the ground and vague-feeling, even if the interior and engine were just fine. But I think other than that, which is not a definite thing, I don't see much reason to go back to Lexus.

Maybe if I win the lottery I'll get an LC. I really like it even compared to other things in its segment - though a 911 would also be hard to pass up, for that money. Lexus has their work cut out for them.
Old 05-04-18, 09:52 AM
mickbrown
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm in the second group ( Yes, I don't currently own a Lexus but I would be interested in buying one based on what I've seen ). I've been interested in the ES300h for a few years now, and now that the G7 hybrid will have the full-size trunk, I'm 95% certain that I'll buy one this fall.
Old 05-04-18, 10:44 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am looking to get a 2010-2012 LS460 or GS350 with a luxury package and after that I don't see myself getting another Lexus unless I get both of those 2 cars, I don't like the new LS and if the GS goes away(I highly doubt that though) I am not interested in a IS or ES, only other Lexus I would be interested in is a used RC or LC coupe but as far as sedans I think I will move to Genesis G90 or maybe G80.
Old 05-04-18, 10:49 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Interesting question, Steve. I voted that I'd buy another one- but here's the caveat for me (and I wonder how many others that voted "yes") - I only buy used so I'm probably skewing the results a bit. Last year I moved from a 2004 LS to a 2010 LS - so I think in another 2-3 years I'll most likely be looking at 2015-2017 LS's. So while I'm pretty sure I'll buy another Lexus, I'm really buying into the "old" Lexus - I mean "old" as it pertains to design, size/roominess, ride quality, and engine availability (V8). Post 2017 LS represents a shift that is too radical of a departure from the Lexus I've known having owned a '96, '04, and '10 LS. I'm still not sold on the exterior of the G90 and still unsure how I feel about the Genesis brand. The sedan that tempts me the most is always the S class - but that would represent another radical shift for me as I'd have to buy something under warranty, pay more to extend the warranty, and likely ditch it when the warranty was up. I've never owned an LS under warranty and (knock on wood) have never regretted that. MB would be the most likely brand that Lexus would lose me to.

We own a LX570 as well and it's pretty hard for me to imagine not buying another one of those. My wife drives it and loves it so I don't think she'd want to deviate from always having one of those in the garage (which I'm totally fine with as I love it as well).

I've enjoyed reading some of the comments in this thread.
Old 05-04-18, 10:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I have had a Lexus for my daily driver since I retired in 2001 but there is nothing in their current line up that appeals to me. My next car is likely my last new one (I've said that before the last 3) and right now the G90 is at the top of my list. If the local KIA dealer (owned by our outstanding local Lexus dealer) would sell the next K900, I would do that. I'm still trying to convince my wife to trade her beloved Accord V-6 coupe for a Stinger. The KIA sales guy was pushing their 10 year warranty until I explained to him that at my age I don't even buy green bananas.

Lexus has made it clear that they no longer value my business, so I'll take it elsewhere.
I too bought my first Lexus shortly after I retired and the second one after that. I really liked both of them but as mentioned earlier wanted to try some other brands and the first was an Audi Q5 (vs. the RX and NX). I wouldn't completely rule out another Lexus but for now there are other brands/models that appeal to me more.
Old 05-04-18, 11:14 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I truly love my 2010 RX450h. Great styling outside and in, great engineering, great reliability. Will probably buy another RX in the '10-'12 vintage for the wife in the next year. Also love going to the Lexus dealer--very quiet and classy, like an airport lounge. And free doughnuts.

That said, I would never buy a contemporary Lexus. To me, front end looks ridiculous. I know, I know, eye of the beholder and all that. But I won't buy one.
Old 05-04-18, 11:16 AM
Seppo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am already out of Lexus, and doubt I will return. In fact, if you had suggested to me four years ago that I would buy a Lexus, I would have thought you were nuts, the brand was not appealing to me and I despise the ES and RX best-sellers. For decades I have been driving 30k+ miles annually, usually in Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, always with a stick shift, usually keeping cars to high miles. Ten years of loving the diesel life, I allowed myself to be talked into a BMW diesel with automatic transmission, the shame of it! Nearly 60k miles of that BMW it became clear the car and dealer were not the right fit, and I test drove a GS with an open mind, that was the only Lexus I would consider. Well, 40k miles driving a GS350 AWD, it was a pretty satisfactory sedan, low key but quite capable (mine was CPO with fewer options, so it was more to my tastes). However, driving other Lexus service loaners convinced me the GS is a real exception in the line.

My passengers increasingly do not like getting in and out of a sedan, and the GS couldn't really accommodate my dog, so I recently traded it in on a 2015 Audi Q5 3.0T that had been owned by a family member, great to drive and more versatile than a sedan, and easy for passengers because of the seating height. I expect to reduce my annual miles driven in the near future, but there really are no Lexus vehicles that I find appealing or useful. If I wanted or needed a larger SUV type vehicle, I would much prefer a Land Cruiser to a GX or LX Lexus, or just an American pickup truck.

Lexus does an admirable job at quality and reliability, but the design and style is not up my alley. The dealer was wonderful to work with, service costs reasonable, but boy, I just could not relate to the other folks shopping in their showrooms. They had very different priorities and life styles than I am used to, not the right cultural fit for me the way Volkswagen, Audi, and even Volvo tend to be. I'm completely over BMW as well, never did fit into the "ultimate leasing machine" mentality.

Consumers need lots of good choices, and Lexus has a lot going for it for some segments of the market, we just diverge. I had some regrets at leaving the GS behind, but the Q5 meets my needs better in an objective sense, and Audi feels more like home to me than Lexus did.
Old 05-04-18, 11:38 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Seppo
If I wanted or needed a larger SUV type vehicle, I would much prefer a Land Cruiser to a GX or LX Lexus, or just an American pickup truck.
Not trying to derail this great thread, but not sure I understand this. LX is a LandCruiser with a Lexus badge. It's the same vehicle (I own one and cross-shopped it against the LandCruiser).
Old 05-04-18, 11:54 AM
Seppo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" Not trying to derail this great thread, but not sure I understand this. LX is a LandCruiser with a Lexus badge. It's the same vehicle (I own one and cross-shopped it against the LandCruiser)."

Yes, I get that they are very similar, just as the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne are, but there are key differences... and I would prefer a Touareg to a Cayenne as well. The LC is a Toyota, more Everyman in appearance, and has functional advantages in approach angles and some other off-road applications. I prefer the simpler, more rugged daily use "face" of the LC, and it has more than enough luxury for my tastes. The LX is more overtly luxurious at the cost of some use-it-hard practicality. Another reason I prefer Audi and Volvo to Mercedes-Benz and BMW is their more functional aesthetic, they feel less pretentious in some ways.
Old 05-04-18, 12:12 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Seppo
" Not trying to derail this great thread, but not sure I understand this. LX is a LandCruiser with a Lexus badge. It's the same vehicle (I own one and cross-shopped it against the LandCruiser)."

Yes, I get that they are very similar, just as the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne are, but there are key differences... and I would prefer a Touareg to a Cayenne as well. The LC is a Toyota, more Everyman in appearance, and has functional advantages in approach angles and some other off-road applications. I prefer the simpler, more rugged daily use "face" of the LC, and it has more than enough luxury for my tastes. The LX is more overtly luxurious at the cost of some use-it-hard practicality. Another reason I prefer Audi and Volvo to Mercedes-Benz and BMW is their more functional aesthetic, they feel less pretentious in some ways.
Got it. Sorry to go off-topic in the thread!
Old 05-04-18, 12:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i'd love another lexus one day but i just got a new vehicle so it will be a while, plus i'm not that enamored with the lexus line-up today for my needs/wants.

i like utes, but:
nx too small
rx too fugly
gx and lx WAY too old and inefficient and not exactly lookers either

i like sedans/coupes too but:
es fwd (no thanks)
is too small
rc don't like looks
lc very nice but not practical enough for me
gs not feeling the looks
ls a possibility but overstyled looks will have to grow on me some

i probably missed something, but obviously not quite my thing either...
Old 05-04-18, 01:01 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'd love another lexus one day but i just got a new vehicle so it will be a while, plus i'm not that enamored with the lexus line-up today for my needs/wants.

i like utes, but:
nx too small
rx too fugly
gx and lx WAY too old and inefficient and not exactly lookers either

i like sedans/coupes too but:
es fwd (no thanks)
is too small
rc don't like looks

lc very nice but not practical enough for me
gs not feeling the looks
ls a possibility but overstyled looks will have to grow on me some

i probably missed something, but obviously not quite my thing either...
Note, the IS is actually larger on the inside than the RC, including the trunk, while also weighing less. If you care about performance, the only reason to go RC is to get the F version - or if you don't want performance and prefer having the coupe shape.

It does seem like quite a few in this thread dislike modern Lexus cars due to the looks... I think they work better on some cars than others. The LC and new ES - very attractive to me, and the LS is fine but not as nice as the LC or ES. The older cars seem to have the spindle grafted on, which means they weren't designed around it like the LC.
Old 05-04-18, 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
It does seem like quite a few in this thread dislike modern Lexus cars due to the looks...
to me lexus has done what the traditional american 'big 3' used to do - add 'go fast "looking" bits' inside and out whether they're functional, or useful or not, to make people 'feel' like they're buying something 'not boring'. it just feels inauthentic to me, and trying to be a poser. the german brands do all kinds of trim details and variations across trim levels of course but i think in general they're more subtle and classier. one of the reasons i got my g90 is because it's kind of a sleeper looking car... very classy all led lighting everywhere and the engine, suspension and adjustability make the car highly capable. i still can't believe how flat it corners and can spin the meaty 275s easily.
Old 05-04-18, 01:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
to me lexus has done what the traditional american 'big 3' used to do - add 'go fast "looking" bits' inside and out whether they're functional, or useful or not, to make people 'feel' like they're buying something 'not boring'. it just feels inauthentic to me, and trying to be a poser. the german brands do all kinds of trim details and variations across trim levels of course but i think in general they're more subtle and classier. one of the reasons i got my g90 is because it's kind of a sleeper looking car... very classy all led lighting everywhere and the engine, suspension and adjustability make the car highly capable. i still can't believe how flat it corners and can spin the meaty 275s easily.
The claws (fake vents) on the rear bumper off the RC for one. Yeah I like the overall shape of the RC, but it does seem somewhat overdone. Hopefully the refresh will make it more elegant.

Quick Reply: Are you driving or have you driven your last Lexus?