Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

alex on autos reviews lexus nx

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 02:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts
Default alex on autos reviews lexus nx

one thing i noticed is that the shifter is gated (moves left/right/up/down through stair-stepped positions) inside a leather boot, on a hybrid. never seen that.

curious to see what others think of the review before i comment further.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-13-18 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-13-18, 03:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

For many of the reasons AoA mentioned, I'd spend the extra money for an X3, GLC or Q5. I'd prefer the new RDX too. Nothing against the NX but IMO there are better choices in the segment. I prefer the others styling too.
Old 04-13-18, 03:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
one thing i noticed is that the shifter is gated (moves left/right/up/down through stair-stepped positions) inside a leather boot. never seen that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi6SOWRNW5Y
My Corolla is gated in a leather boot. Why are you so against a leather boot?
Old 04-13-18, 03:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My Corolla is gated in a leather boot. Why are you so against a leather boot?
is yours automatic? either way in a corolla i could understand it. but i think it looks cheap on an auto and is out of place on a luxury vehicle. do any of the german brands still do it? (quick google image search glc doesn't, x3 doesn't, looks like q3 does though but q5 doesn't).

and on a zig zag gated shifter i thought the point was to be able to see the positions.

i remember how impressed i was the my gs400 and that's nearly 2 decades ago. (this isn't mine but similar)

Old 04-13-18, 03:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

is yours automatic? because i think it looks cheap on an auto, and do any of the german brands still do it? (quick google image search glc doesn't, x3 doesn't, looks like q3 does though but q5 doesn't).
CTV automatic. I thought you didn’t like it because of dirt and debris and such. I find my 4Runner is just as dirty. Matrix is ncie and clear because of where they located the shifter. It’s hard to spill coffee or anything like that.
Old 04-13-18, 03:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

one thing i noticed is that the shifter is gated (moves left/right/up/down through stair-stepped positions) inside a leather boot, on a hybrid. never seen that.
I suspect the Camry hybrid also does this, even though it's also a hybrid with a CVT...

I am totally watching this review. I had one of these as a loaner, and was quite pleased with it. Wonder what King Alex will say.
Old 04-13-18, 04:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

When I got my NX in Dec 2014, it was ahead of the game in features, quality, and styling (Canada got HUD and AVS among other things). Loved it back then, but today I would not buy it as it has fallen behind in the usual Lexus shortcomings these days: performance and tech. I think the new RDX will be the new one to beat when considering value.

In short, AoA is spot on.
Old 04-13-18, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Actually, in this case, I would use the term zig-zag shifter (as I have in past reviews) rather than gated. As I understand it, a true gated shifter is what we find in manual-transmission Ferraris. I agree with bit, though, that this is probably the first time I have ever seen a zig-zag pattern hidden under a leather boot.
Old 04-13-18, 08:11 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

is yours automatic? either way in a corolla i could understand it. but i think it looks cheap on an auto and is out of place on a luxury vehicle. do any of the german brands still do it? (quick google image search glc doesn't, x3 doesn't, looks like q3 does though but q5 doesn't).

and on a zig zag gated shifter i thought the point was to be able to see the positions.

i remember how impressed i was the my gs400 and that's nearly 2 decades ago. (this isn't mine but similar)

IMO these ungated shiftters are the ugliest shifters a man could've created. I can't stand the look of it in my IS and i wish it had the leather wrap around it.
Old 04-13-18, 10:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

The gated and +/- shifter has been standard in all gas and hybrid Toyotas/Lexi for a long time. Nothing different with the NX.
I had a week's time in a gas NX loaner and was left in the middle. It is a nice package overall, comfortable, quiet, good visibility, decent acceleration, but does nothing to inspire or move the driving experience higher. It is quite forgettable. I was really hoping to find some passion with it, but could not. Perhaps the F-Sport version, in the wild racing blue, would have done the trick.

I think a fresh NX is needed at this point, as there are so many other choices in this category, and things need to be stepped up a notch.

P.S. Kudos to Lexus for offering not one, but TWO, racy, medium blue colors. Can't even get one going with Audi's stingy A4/S4 line.
P.S.S. I'm a big fan of leather shift boots. Hides the primitive "stick pole" that holds up the shifter and adds a touch of luxury on the center console.
Old 04-14-18, 03:48 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I think the new RDX will be the new one to beat when considering value.

Lexus NX has no Android Auto or Apple Play. Has no HUD or panoramic roof. Never liked the front grill on the Lexus SUVs with that large mouth grill. Do not like Lexus's two tone seats or only black dash that shows every piece of lint. RDX has a much better looking modern shifter, medium gray dash, much better mouse pad. The SH AWD is all wheel drive on steroids. Acura has real leather compared to nuluxe and wood accents compared to none in a NX. IMO the black plastic around the wheel wells on the NX look cheap. If this comes in with the hybrid option around $48,000 it will be a huge success. The MDX hybrid with every option list at $58,000.
Old 04-14-18, 05:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
When I got my NX in Dec 2014, it was ahead of the game in features, quality, and styling (Canada got HUD and AVS among other things). Loved it back then, but today I would not buy it as it has fallen behind in the usual Lexus shortcomings these days: performance and tech. I think the new RDX will be the new one to beat when considering value.

it is story of every 3 year old vehicle. But it does look good, interior is luxurious for the price and its comfy.

I would not buy it for myself, but I can see why it is best model launch from lexus in 2 decades.

I can honestly find issues in all European competitors, and we dont get Acura.

To me, ux interior is much better designed too, just more modern... Cant wait for NX on tnga and that interior style.
Old 04-14-18, 07:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

A while back C&D did a comparison test of compact luxury CUV's. The order of finish in their tests was X1, NX. GLA. QX30 and Q3. In their words "the X1 ran away with the test". For some reason C&D has always put the NX in the same segment as the smaller CUV's vs. in with the larger X3, Q5, GLC etc. Since this test new entries from Volvo and Caddy have been announced.
Old 04-14-18, 08:39 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know everything I need to know about the NX from when I had it as a loaner.

Ugly? Check
Cheap and ugly interior? Check
Frustrating infotainment system? Check
Awkward seating position (like all CUVs)? Check
Boring to drive? Check

It's high sales are a direct reflection of how bad all the other offerings in its class are. The GLA and Q3 are terrible. Only the X1 is very good.
Old 04-14-18, 08:40 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is story of every 3 year old vehicle. But it does look good, interior is luxurious for the price and its comfy.
What is luxurious about the interior? The entire center stack is plastic, the bottom half of the doors are all plastic, and the seats on most models are fake leather. It's really no nicer to sit in than a Honda Accord.

Quick Reply: alex on autos reviews lexus nx