Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2018 Chevrolet Equinox 2.0T Premier.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Folks, when I did the original write-up, I forgot to include one significant thing in the drive train...the engine-start/stop system. I went back to the review and added this paragraph:

I also noted that the Equinox's 2.0L engine and 9-speed have the same start-stop feature at idle that my Lacrosse does.....GM will probably be using this feature on more and more of its vehicles, as the new 9-speed was especially designed for it. It shuts the engine off at idle for a maximum of two minutes, depending on a number of factors such as engine temperature, battery-charge-level, engine load, and A/C drain. At idle, the heat and A/C still function, but in a weaker state with a lower fan speed. The system cannot be shut off (GM is unique in that regard) but there are ways that it can can be fooled or overridden, such as a very slow creep at idle, by feathering the brake pedal, that does not fully 100% stop the vehicle....but, of course, you need some creep-room in front for that, so it won't work if you are stopped right on someone else's bumper.
Old 04-13-18, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Good review and a good vehicle. It's a solid choice, as long as it remains reliable. That would be a cause for hesitation if one were buying and not leasing.
Thanks. Recent Chevys have trailed Buicks somewhat in the reliability department, but, except for the big truck-based SUVs, are still mostly average or better.

As far as pricing, I'd say somewhere in the mid to high-$20's would be fair for this.
.......and that's just about where the low-line models start. You can't expect the Premier, though, especially with AWD, to sell in that range. It has a lot more equipment/features, noticeably better exterior trim, leather seats instead of cloth, and, even though it's still an inline four, substantially more engine.

Here in SoCal, nearly all are 2WD, helping lower the price. And with all the typical discounting, it seems that is attainable. But just makes me think again, why doesn't GM just price them lower to begin with, and avoid all the somewhat embarrassing discounts.
GM, I think, varies the incentives according to the region of the country and whatever they perceive local supply/demand to be. They have to have the list prices high enough to include enough buffer to vary the incentives as they see fit.

FWD models, of course, would be better with the smaller engines, as they have less available torque to overcome the weight and drag of AWD.
Old 04-13-18, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
so how would you compare it to an upper end RAV4 or CR-V as far as build quality and overall driving experience???
The RAV-4's drivetrain, in the Toyota tradition, will probably be more durable and last longer (not sure about the Honda's, as their reliability has dropped lately). Inside, I'd rate both the Equinox and CR-V as generally having better and more solid materials than the RAV-4, though the RAV-4's rear-seat anchor for the fold-up mechanism is tank-solid, and the Equinox has its share of hard plastic on the inner door-panels. I wasn't very impressed with the RAV-4's sheet metal, either, though IMO it has the best-quality paint jobs of the three. On the road, there's not a great deal of difference in how all three drive, though, of course, with the Equinox, you deal with the start/stop system that can't be shut off. Of the three, I narrowly preferred the Equinox's general road-manners....and I probably would have liked it more with the higher-profile tires and smoother ride on the lower-line models.

thanks again!
Glad to help.

as for pricing ---- highly discounted without haggling...
No pun intended, but I'm not sure I buy that so-called 11K discount. There's gotta be a catch somewhere....especially in this age of hot-selling SUVs. GM and its dealerships aren't going to just give hot-selling vehicles away. These are not slow-selling Impalas.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-13-18 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-13-18, 04:52 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No pun intended, but I'm not sure I buy that so-called 11K discount. There's gotta be a catch somewhere....especially in this age of hot-selling SUVs. GM and its dealerships aren't going to just give hot-selling vehicles away. These are not slow-selling Impalas.
look it up on Autotrader MM, these are not sales gimics...lots discounted like that.
Old 04-13-18, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
look it up on Autotrader MM, these are not sales gimics...lots discounted like that.

Well, OK....you're certainly a credible poster. If you have seen credible sources that can be trusted, then so be it.