Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1980s/1990s Ad Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-18, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

......and the Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee) Outback ads, also from Subaru, were almost as corny as the XT ads.

Old 04-07-18, 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
......and the Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee) Outback ads, also from Subaru, were almost as corny as the XT ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itl0-QqREj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkjfSlSZnmk
This one is just for you. Amazing to see the size of the interior space. Also the Park Avenue has 20 cu ft of trunk space.

Old 04-07-18, 07:13 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That era of glossy car ads was about big money and big media. Today's car marketing is almost a narrow targeted strategy. Those old ads had to be produced by some of the best photograghers and ad people in the industry. You have to remember that there was no Photoshop, Lightroom. You couldn't just delete a bad shot, you had to live with it. They used 35 mm slr film cameras.

They were very enticing even though the stuff that they advertised was complete cr*p in the Detroit era of building really bad vehicles.

I prefer the more SNL, hokey ads. Joe Isuzu is my favorite. You parody your own industry. Very creative and very funny. Get people interested in your take on your own industry and that leads them to your rather niche product. You play up the image of a car salesman. Interesting that the "customer" is a Chevy Chase lookalike, Family Truckster Queen Wagon from the Vacation movies.

Old 04-07-18, 07:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG

They were very enticing even though the stuff that they advertised was complete cr*p in the Detroit era of building really bad vehicles.NY
I agree that the big three had some enticing stuff. They also also were making record profits as well.
Old 04-07-18, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Thanks for the reminders of some truly awful vehicles.

Originally Posted by Och
Japanese were on a roll back in the 80ies, today they only make disposable junk.
Must be why my honda prelude back then wouldn't start in PA winters. You can't be serious about Japan now only making 'disposable junk'. You don't thin Toyotas today are made to last.
Old 04-07-18, 11:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks for the reminders of some truly awful vehicles.

Must be why my honda prelude back then wouldn't start in PA winters. You can't be serious about Japan now only making 'disposable junk'. You don't thin Toyotas today are made to last.
Different time, different reality. Back then regular Honda/Toyota cars were much superior to American cars when it came to quality and reliability, their sport cars were serious contenders, and Lexus/Acura caught the Germans by surprise. Today they don't make anything sporty, Lexus/Acura can't hold a candle to the Germans, and their regular cars are basically cheap lease and dispose junk.
Old 04-07-18, 11:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Old 04-08-18, 01:21 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

omg that camry v6 ad... give me that over jan ANY day of the week lol

i've had the privilege of putting a few miles on a traded in 1988 camry stick shift, and i gotta say it was genuinely a very nice machine to operate. and not even in like a for it's age kind of way, it was just flat out nice to use. the ride honestly was legit lexus smooth, and the transmission and clutch were just so easy and forgiving to use. for a 30 year old car it felt more modern and even had more amenities than my not even 10 year old crown vic just goes to show how good toyota is. and i guess also how bad ford is...

edit: also i know it's easy to scoff at 153 horsepower nowadays (as many already have in the comments of that video) but don't forget that car weighs only like 2600 lbs, well over 1000 lbs less than the current equivalent. that 1988 i drove had the 4 cyl and it really didn't feel as slow as i was expecting. and i was expecting it'd be really slow so maybe that helped.

Last edited by Stroock639; 04-08-18 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-08-18, 02:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This one is just for you. Amazing to see the size of the interior space. Also the Park Avenue has 20 cu ft of trunk space.

Thanks. I don't remember test-driving a Park Avenue of that vintage, though one of my close friends rented an Ultra version, with the supercharged 3.8L V6, while on vacation. I DO remember test-driving a LeSabre of that vintage, though...extremely comfortable over bumps, but, overall, too wallowy and boat-like even for my tastes. It was a classic case of comfort vs. control. In that ad, though, at the time, I didn't think that either GM or Ford really used decent interior materials, except for a couple of Cadillac models....and, even then, it was marginal.

(Oh, and BTW.....those 20 cu ft trunks were nothing compared to those of 20 years earlier):

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-18 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-08-18, 02:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
I prefer the more SNL, hokey ads. Joe Isuzu is my favorite.
Yeah.....good old Joe Isuzu. He made even me look honest LOL.
Old 04-09-18, 03:33 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So, if some of you don’t know, I was able to live through most of the past decades and I was able to witness the automotive landscape past and now present. I believe we are in a reincarnation of the 1980's of the way cars are marketed with Turbos and more unique branding. Some people forget or are too young to remember Turbo Toyota's such as the MR2 and Toyota Truck

We recently did an organization of one of our rooms and my husbands old magazines where in there and we gave them a look through.

Below I have upload a few pics of the some of the ads for everyone to peruse through and enjoy.

I think there is a profound difference between and magazine ad in print and one that is just on the Internet. These are best viewed on a large screen computer.

I hope everyone appreciate the ads and I hope everyone will enjoy. ​​​​​​

WOW!! These are incredible, LexsCTJill! That convertible SC photo is also insane.

I must know, what document are those first two photos of the LS and ES from?... And can I get a scan of the LS page? :P
Old 04-09-18, 11:01 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Love those old cheesy 80's Toyota commericals

Also what ever happened to specific jingles and songs written just for ads. So cheesy and awesome 80's. Especially considering what a cheesy shell of its former of itself Cadillac was in the mid-late 80's. Still they sold way better back then vs today, even with crap product.

And my favorite, see the USA in your Chevrolet.

Last edited by Aron9000; 04-09-18 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 03:19 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

does literally every late 80s early 90s toyota advertisement end with a slow motion jump in the air with the video stopping at the highest point of the jump? i love it but holy crap look at this guy

i'll let rick james take care of this one

Old 04-16-18, 10:11 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Scan of the Infiniti ad in the original post, found online
Old 04-16-18, 10:34 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

just look at the glorious body roll of the LS and benz... back when luxury meant being as comfortable as literally possible and who cares if you don't perform well at an autocross event. good find celsi0r

interesting car the original q45, it had better performance than even all other 3 cars up there! unfortunately when you make something look so weird it doesn't sell as well. just looking at those 4 photos i'd be like what's that 4th car on the right even doing there if i didn't know what it was.

Quick Reply: 1980s/1990s Ad Thread