Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Considering 06 GS430 and IS250

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 07:25 AM
zee02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Considering 06 GS430 and IS250

Hi guys, I need some feedback/ suggestions from the Lexus community.
I'm considering buying a 06 GS430 or 07 IS250.
I have previously owned 06 IS250 (auto) for about 2 yrs and loved the car but had to sell it due to financial circumstances.
Now that I'm financially stable was going to buy one again as I really enjoyed the first one. Upon checking the market, the Gs430 and IS250 are very similarly priced where I live.

So my question is that should I get the GS or stick to the IS?
I know the GS430 is a v8 and running costs are not as big of a concern for me atm. I'm a mobile technician and mostly use the company's vehicle to travel to sites.

1) How is the Gs40 to drive compared to the IS250?

2) I've noticed that there is a suspension toggle on the Gs430 that switches from Normal to Sport, how much of a difference does that make in handling? does this suspension have any known issues?

3) I've read some threads regarding the Is250's manual transmission having noisy transmissions, how common is it?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm new to the forum so please excuse if I've overlooked any rules or posted the thread in the wrong section.
Cheers.
UPDATE:
I did end up buying the gs430 in blue color and I gotta say, I does have its own feel.
Although the handling is not as sharp as compared to my old IS250.
Also the sport mode for the suspension does not seem to make any noticeable difference. Thinking of getting TEIN coilovers soon.
Not having AUX input kinda sux but gonna order one of the GTA car kits with AUX and Bluetooth soon.

One thing to mention is that the ABS actuator keeps buzzing every 2-3 min even after the engine has been turned off, did a bit of searching on the forum and discovered that it is a common issue and the actuator needs to be replaced after it fails with one preferably from a later year model. Will update on that once mine goes out and i get a replacement.
Apart from that very happy with the purchase.
Any recommendations on the exhaust? head some clips on the forum from other members on their 430's and they sound dope.

Last edited by zee02; 07-22-18 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Update on the post, purchased the gs430
Old 04-02-18, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by zee02
Hi guys, I need some feedback/ suggestions from the Lexus community.
I'm considering buying a 06 GS430 or 07 IS250.
I have previously owned 06 IS250 (auto) for about 2 yrs and loved the car but had to sell it due to financial circumstances.
Now that I'm financially stable was going to buy one again as I really enjoyed the first one. Upon checking the market, the Gs430 and IS250 are very similarly priced where I live.

So my question is that should I get the GS or stick to the IS?
I know the GS430 is a v8 and running costs are not as big of a concern for me atm. I'm a mobile technician and mostly use the company's vehicle to travel to sites.

1) How is the Gs40 to drive compared to the IS250?

2) I've noticed that there is a suspension toggle on the Gs430 that switches from Normal to Sport, how much of a difference does that make in handling? does this suspension have any known issues?

3) I've read some threads regarding the Is250's manual transmission having noisy transmissions, how common is it?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm new to the forum so please excuse if I've overlooked any rules or posted the thread in the wrong section.
Cheers.
Welcome to CL. No problems.....that's a perfectly legitimate question for Car Chat.

I haven't owned either, but on the 2006 GS model, it might be wise to avoid the AWD version. According to Consumer Reports (at the time), I remember it had some issues, and a worse-than-average reliability rating......which is very unusual for a Lexus, as they are usually well above average.
Old 04-02-18, 08:26 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife owned an 07 GS350 for 10 years. Never had an issue with the car reliability wise, but cannot speak to the 430 model. Also made descent gas mileage also. Our only grip was the ponderous handling, very little feel and tended to understeer. The car looked pretty damn new and shiny after 10 years and 199k miles on the odo.
Old 04-02-18, 11:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

The carbon build up issue on the IS250 would heavily influence my decision. I would go GS or try to find a good, used IS350.
Old 04-02-18, 11:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on the IS350, great car
Old 04-02-18, 03:05 PM
zee02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL. No problems.....that's a perfectly legitimate question for Car Chat.

I haven't owned either, but on the 2006 GS model, it might be wise to avoid the AWD version. According to Consumer Reports (at the time), I remember it had some issues, and a worse-than-average reliability rating......which is very unusual for a Lexus, as they are usually well above average.
Thanks for the input, I am indeed looking at a RWD version of the Gs430.
Old 04-02-18, 03:10 PM
zee02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jwong77
My wife owned an 07 GS350 for 10 years. Never had an issue with the car reliability wise, but cannot speak to the 430 model. Also made descent gas mileage also. Our only grip was the ponderous handling, very little feel and tended to understeer. The car looked pretty damn new and shiny after 10 years and 199k miles on the odo.
I see, thats why I was looking at a Gs430 because of the adjustable suspension, that may help improve the handling?
Old 04-02-18, 03:12 PM
zee02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
The carbon build up issue on the IS250 would heavily influence my decision. I would go GS or try to find a good, used IS350.
The Is350 was my first choice, but they're very expensive, almost $10k over the Is250 and Gs430.
Old 04-02-18, 05:08 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

06 GS430 is way superior car.
The 4.3 V8 is very reliable and puts down good power even compared to current sport sedans.
Put on a nice exhaust and enjoy the car.
Old 04-02-18, 07:28 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Go do some research on the GS forums, I know 2006 was the brand new model year and some of the V6 cars had issues which did not effect 2007+ models. Not sure if the 2006 V8 cars had the same issues. Just been told on that gen GS to avoid 2006's, but read some, they might be fine if you find the right car.

As for the IS, avoid the IS250. Carbon buildup problems, on a car this old you are probably going to have issues with this unless its been dealt with before. Go for the IS350, 100 more hp, no carbon buildup issue, same gas mileage.

Also I'd go for the V8 in the GS, it was a $20,000 more expensive car than the IS. It is reflected in the way it drives, interior quality, size, etc. Its just a nicer car all around IMO.
Old 04-02-18, 08:52 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a thread I made dedicated to the greatest sedan ever made:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-the-goat.html

Many folks don't know this but manufacturers actually ask their designers to make timeless cars as the overall theme. Many failed to do so because they don't understand what it means to be timeless. I truly believe the 06 GS is timeless because of the way it was made, which was very different from all other cars. The designer of the car went on to be creative director at SONY. Thats very important to note because to take such a high position at a company of that reputation requires a lot of skill, don't you think?

Last edited by theory816; 04-02-18 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 08:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Not apples to apples here at all. The GS is by far a grander car. Think: Civic to Accord. Altima to Maxima. Camy to Avalon, etc.
Old 04-02-18, 09:36 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

easily GS. the toyota UZ series V8 is one of the best of all time, i genuinely don't know of another engine that is quite literally FAA certified durable enough for use in light aircraft. the little V6 in the IS for me at least just wouldn't cut it, but the V8 would be fulfilling enough to own forever i think. i feel my LS has just enough power to be considered fast enough. more speed might be better, but i never feel the car is underpowered. the GS is also just a much "grander" car as fizzboy put it, your back seat passengers should you ever have any will also be very thankful for the increased legroom. try for an IS 350 as others have suggested, that is a very fun car. but if you think the IS 250 will be enough don't drive the GS 430 because the IS won't cut it anymore lol...
Old 04-03-18, 01:15 AM
zee02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
06 GS430 is way superior car.
The 4.3 V8 is very reliable and puts down good power even compared to current sport sedans.
Put on a nice exhaust and enjoy the car.
Any suggestions on the type of exhaust? cat back, axel back or the whole exhaust system?
Old 04-03-18, 01:17 AM
zee02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by theory816
Here is a thread I made dedicated to the greatest sedan ever made:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-the-goat.html

Many folks don't know this but manufacturers actually ask their designers to make timeless cars as the overall theme. Many failed to do so because they don't understand what it means to be timeless. I truly believe the 06 GS is timeless because of the way it was made, which was very different from all other cars. The designer of the car went on to be creative director at SONY. Thats very important to note because to take such a high position at a company of that reputation requires a lot of skill, don't you think?
Good read. The design is timeless indeed. Just a little concerned with handling.

Quick Reply: Considering 06 GS430 and IS250