Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2007 Lexus GS is the GOAT

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 10:12 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The 2007 Lexus GS is the GOAT

If you own this car you are special. Every person that I've seen driving this car were always good looking. I've never seen another car so elegant and subtle in its ways. Baller status without over doing it. Curves in all the right places. Attracts the right attention. Ok, I lied about that last part. People LOVE to cut in front of this car, lol.

You guys can try, but nothing you can name will out style this GS, becuase it was modeled after a gotdamn fountain.

The point of this thread is to open your eyes about objects. Many things are not very well made or designed. Why do you guys think we want the new model year every 5 years? Its because we don't have a true love for the current object. Thus, we become extremely wasteful. Make a purchase based quality and longevity, not hype or impulse.

Last edited by theory816; 02-07-18 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 10:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

07 GS300? 06 maybe. 07 should be GS350. Unless there’s an international model I’m not familiar with
Old 02-07-18, 10:51 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
07 GS300? 06 maybe. 07 should be GS350. Unless there’s an international model I’m not familiar with
Mines 06 lol. Good eye btw.
Old 02-07-18, 11:03 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I think Lexus beat Jaguar to the punch by a few months with the GS coming out before the XF, but man I'd say there was some corporate espionage going on(who copied who???) or just that the design teams on opposite sides of the earth were so damn uninspired they designed the same damn boring *** car. Honestly I think Jaguar copied Lexus, as the XF doesn't look like a proper Jaaaaggggg IMO. The XJ, which came a couple years later, has a few of those same styling cues as the XF, but that car looks chiseled and buff, like a proper Jaaaagggggg.

Old 02-07-18, 11:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

As far as the best Lexus GS of all time, it isn't even a Lexus, its the 1993-2004 Toyota Aristo with this legendary engine under the hood.

Old 02-07-18, 11:29 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think Lexus beat Jaguar to the punch by a few months with the GS coming out before the XF, but man I'd say there was some corporate espionage going on(who copied who???) or just that the design teams on opposite sides of the earth were so damn uninspired they designed the same damn boring *** car. Honestly I think Jaguar copied Lexus, as the XF doesn't look like a proper Jaaaaggggg IMO. The XJ, which came a couple years later, has a few of those same styling cues as the XF, but that car looks chiseled and buff, like a proper Jaaaagggggg.
Even though I think the GS is goat, I have to try and be objective. I honestly think Lexus copied Jaguar in this case. Why? Well, the designer went to school in the UK. He was responsible for both the exterior AND interior. That's a first for any designer. He's now the current chief designer for Sony.
Old 02-07-18, 11:34 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

the XF was better executed than the GS.

The GS looks bloated in comparison with the bulbous sheet metal.

Old 02-07-18, 11:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by theory816
Even though I think the GS is goat, I have to try and be objective. I honestly think Lexus copied Jaguar in this case. Why? Well, the designer went to school in the UK. He was responsible for both the exterior AND interior. That's a first for any designer. He's now the current chief designer for Sony.
Interesting, did not know that.

Pman6, I agree, the Jag pulled off the look a bit better, it does look a bit more chiseled and lower to the ground. Still these are both really boring cars IMO from a time in really boring car design. Its kind of crazy how I think the larger Jaguar XJ that came out a couple of years later looks just the business, style wise its still my favorite car in the big sedan category.

Personally my favorite gen Lexus GS is the 2nd gen. Just something about it looks cleaner, like it was a lot more cohesive in the design themes throughout the car. The 3rd gen GS, its soft in a lot of angles, yet some elements don't make sense at all, like the headlights which look oddly integrated into the front end and have sharp edges in them, while the rest of the car is all rounded off. Also the 3rd gen GS looks a lot more slab sided, the 2nd gen car has a bit more glass area which I like.

Last edited by Aron9000; 02-07-18 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 05:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

It's interesting how personal appearance is an advantage in our society. It even makes the 2007 GS better!

I dunno how one tells these things, but my son might be good looking. He always got the so cute deal when he was a baby. A colleague told me yeah all babies are cute, it stops when they become toddlers. Well it's still happening. I have no shame, could be honey boo boo time. Hashtag TLC. He didn't get it from me, well maybe he did, dunno.

As far as the GS goes, I've never paid attention to the appearances of people who drive the 2007. I do know a neighbor bought a CPO, and he was near retirement age. imho, the one that sold in 1998 is better looking--and I still see them on the road!
Old 02-08-18, 05:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
As far as the best Lexus GS of all time, it isn't even a Lexus, its the 1993-2004 Toyota Aristo with this legendary engine under the hood.

Another thing that seems to be gone, the appreciation for the inline 6. It's physics. Those 15.6 liter motors in trucks aren't for fooling around, they're for doing work, and there's a reason why they're I6's. Those were days where there could be a compelling reason to choose a GS300 over a GS400...
Old 02-08-18, 08:34 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I liked my 3GS300 until the engine/transmission issues were too much to deal with . Also, other things like BT and crappy headlight projectors and the Infotainment system.

But yes, overall the car was great..
Old 02-08-18, 08:43 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I never liked the 3rd Gen GS, styling was just odd, it was too narrow and I did not like that fast back design at all, it made me even happier to own a 2nd Gen when I saw it and drove it. The interior design was okay but quality was not very good, I thought the ES out at the same time looked a little better. The 4th Gen GS was much better looking with nice proportions but I did not care for its interior design and dropping the V8 was a terrible decision.

The Jaguar XF was much better looking but incredibly unreliable.
Old 02-08-18, 11:20 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was an attractive sedan but its a$$ was too fat. From the C-pillar on it looks bulky.

And I'm glad they ditched the dorky quad headlights.
Old 02-08-18, 01:35 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I have a 3GS which I passed onto one of my staff to drive.
I was fine with the coupe-like design, the jelly bean shape, and the soft springs with the short suspension travel.
I thought the four headlamps were no longer symmetrical with the rear tail lamps, unlike the 2GS.
My biggest gripe was the lack of torsional rigidity and bending stiffness in this model, resulting in a lot of creaks and rattles over broken road surfaces.

There are many differing opinions regarding the 3GS styling and design functionality, but one thing that cannot be disputed is that back in 2005, the 3GS made a record debut with 33k+ units, against the E Class' 50k+ and the 5 Series' 52k units.
By comparison, my current 4GS has only achieved peak sales of 23k+ units, against the current record for both E Class and 5 Series at 69k+ and 56k+ units respectively - a record for both E Class and 5 Series achieved in 2013 at a time when 4GS was only chosen by 22k+ customers.

Six years ago, a number of forum members used to say that 4GS can no longer sell like 3GS because the market had contracted, or because of SUV's.
They were wrong, because both E Class & 5 Series achieved record sales in 2013...

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-08-18 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 01:42 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

GOAT = "greatest of all time" for anyone who didn't know, i didn't know until maybe a year ago when my friend described lebron as it lol...

anyway i disagree with you, but are you saying that just the styling is the greatest or the entire car as a whole is? very good car the GS but i wouldn't say THE greatest, especially since i have the LS which was literally designed to be better

Quick Reply: The 2007 Lexus GS is the GOAT