Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

~60 days in with a new 2018 Infiniti Q50 RS400...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 06:34 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Please no, those interiors of old are so outdated and boring. If you sit in a Q50 or Q60 then sit in that you'll really notice how outdated those are. I think overall the interiors are pretty nice. I don't know why it gets so much knock for being "dated". Nobody ever calls BMW interiors dated and they've looked the same since the 80s.
I did mention that those interiors were polarizing. Your reaction is proof of that
But I’ve always admired the old Infiniti M series cabins.
Old 03-14-18, 07:53 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Thanks for the sharing your experiences.

I may have missed something, but did you consider a GS-F (I know higher price point but also discounted)?

I agree the run craps limit the car. I really don't try to carve roads with my Q50S Hybrid AWD but it makes a great commuter.

One of the reasons I like the Hybridis that I have 360 HP and get between 27 and 28 mpg and Chicago has plenty of sit in traffic experiences.
I didn't consider the GS-F because it is effectictively double the price of the RS400 with the same performance. I was really looking for an older ISF, but the 2011+ models are still over $35k for low mileage ones. That's only like $10k from a discounted rs400.

I do really like the hybrid Q50..amazing balance of performance and frugality to get that high of a mpg!
Old 03-14-18, 07:57 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for your honest review, I definitely considered a Q50, primarily because of the allure of its engine power. I am very familiar with ECUTEK and AMS, both of which I have on my GTR. The overriding factor that made me decide to go the GSF route is handling.

Having said that, can't have everything but I would definitely go the route you did, suspension wise, to improve its handling if I had gotten one.

Enjoy!
Old 03-14-18, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Please no, those interiors of old are so outdated and boring. If you sit in a Q50 or Q60 then sit in that you'll really notice how outdated those are. I think overall the interiors are pretty nice. I don't know why it gets so much knock for being "dated". Nobody ever calls BMW interiors dated and they've looked the same since the 80s.
If it ain't broke...........
Old 03-14-18, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Nice catch on the diff....isn't it a cost thing, where a) it's not cheap to do mech ltd slip b) 90% of buyers don't know anyway

The older I get, the more I compromise, but there was a time when I said my next car has to have a) 10" wide or greater rims in the rear b) limited slip differential
I don't see why LSDs haven't become standard across the board. They are a big help if you are dealing wth slick roads, or if an inside wheel lifts off the pavement during aggressive cornering (not that I'm trying to advocate aggressive driving).

And ST430......thanks for the report and write-up.
Old 03-14-18, 08:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't see why LSDs haven't become standard across the board. They are a big help if you are dealing wth slick roads, or if an inside wheel lifts off the pavement during aggressive cornering (not that I'm trying to advocate aggressive driving).

And ST430......thanks for the report and write-up.
Doesn't traction control and stability control make a LSD redundant?
Old 03-14-18, 09:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Actually,many do call the new BMW interiors dated. Many of the major publications have stated that Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, Lexus have surpassed them. Fortunately for BMW, their brand strength and drivetrain prowess still drive their high sales.
Old 03-14-18, 10:47 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No, it does not. Each work together but one does not supersede the other.

LSD is a must, specially in a high HP vehicle, for a driving enthusiast.
Old 03-14-18, 10:51 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Actually,many do call the new BMW interiors dated. Many of the major publications have stated that Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, Lexus have surpassed them. Fortunately for BMW, their brand strength and drivetrain prowess still drive their high sales.
You probably mean high leasing percentage. More people lease BMW's than purchase them, for good reasons, one of which is they don't want to have one out of warranty.
Old 03-15-18, 10:06 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a funny saying when referencing a BMW.
Old 03-17-18, 04:30 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the AWD Red Sports have brake-based torque vectoring?
Old 03-17-18, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Depends on the situation. My Outback had a regular mechanical LSD in back, and it was so good at bad-weather traction that it made the electronic traction-aids unnecessary. Of course, dry pavement is another matter.
Old 03-17-18, 11:35 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You decide:

Stickier tires & non-DAS

vs.

OEM tires & DAS
Old 03-18-18, 12:15 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Addendum : drove my friend's B9 S4 in the canyons today, and a couple of things to note. 1) It totally reinforced my notion that the Q50s interior is woefully outdated and really not up to tier 1 luxury standards. 2) the S4's suspension is so nice; confidence inspiring in handling yet so compliant over bumps. My lowered RS400 handles similar now, but gets jostled around with any road variations. And 3) the RS400s powertrain is a bit more responsive, as the S4 shows a bit of turbo lag, before having a good mid-range punch.

I'm much happier with my RS400 now, as it reinforced what I had said before; the Q50S is a bargain compared to it's competitors with such a wonderful and flexible engine, but you'll be let down by the interior and have to go through the aftermarket to sharpen the handling.

PS love that digital cockpit, but it is so distracting at the same tisam!
Old 03-18-18, 07:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Addendum : drove my friend's B9 S4 in the canyons today, and a couple of things to note. 1) It totally reinforced my notion that the Q50s interior is woefully outdated and really not up to tier 1 luxury standards. 2) the S4's suspension is so nice; confidence inspiring in handling yet so compliant over bumps. My lowered RS400 handles similar now, but gets jostled around with any road variations. And 3) the RS400s powertrain is a bit more responsive, as the S4 shows a bit of turbo lag, before having a good mid-range punch.

I'm much happier with my RS400 now, as it reinforced what I had said before; the Q50S is a bargain compared to it's competitors with such a wonderful and flexible engine, but you'll be let down by the interior and have to go through the aftermarket to sharpen the handling.

PS love that digital cockpit, but it is so distracting at the same tisam!
Did the S4 have the dynamic steering with the sport diff? I hear its a different car with those 2 packages. For me, the additional refinement and interior would be enough for me to purchase the S4. I think its the best car in the class.

Quick Reply: ~60 days in with a new 2018 Infiniti Q50 RS400...