Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda struggles to move the once-hugely-popular Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 10:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That's one heck of a discount if true. Well below invoice on the most basic LX. How did we go from Honda not discounting to that that?
obviously something is very wrong with Accord and the market, as we can see in April they sold only 21k, compared to Camry at 29k. They also had lease deals and as we can see other incentives as well.
My bet is combination of small turbo, CVT and design.
Old 05-02-18, 10:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
obviously something is very wrong with Accord and the market, as we can see in April they sold only 21k, compared to Camry at 29k. They also had lease deals and as we can see other incentives as well.
The 4-cylinder Accords had already been on CVT in the prior generation, and the 2.0T uses a 10-speed automatic. I don't believe mainstream customers really can tell/care about turbos. As for loss of V6, the V6 is a super small mix of overall sales anyways. So that leaves... design? And of course the market shift in general away from sedans. Honda could likely use something between the CR-V and Pilot. Like a Murano/Edge/Santa Fe. But I guess they want people to go to the Acura RDX for that.
Old 05-02-18, 11:21 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
There are two turbo options. The better one means a mid to high $25-30k entry price point and the trim you want. It can get to mid 30's in a hurry -- fully loaded touring edition.

At the end of the day, the design is not catching on. The advertising using computer graphics people is distracting (while deceptively briefly focuses on the front end for a second and rest of the time see the rest of the body. The other advertising showing the evolution of the accord with retro styling pointed out the obvious ugliness. It lost a 'connection' to the previous accords. If you're not in love with the looks, you move on to something else to catch your eye. For example, the Lexus 2018 ES350 vs 2019 ES350 is well done advancement that Honda can learn some lessons from. I'll take the ES350 '19 any day over the '18 Accord, just because of the looks. The civic has a style sexiness and size that the accords do not have. If given the choice, top end civic will win the day over an entry Accord. 10 years ago, you knew the Accord was the bigger and better car in the line up.
Old 05-02-18, 11:28 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

when i think about it, i dont see any of these on the road vs the dozens of new camry sightings.
Old 05-02-18, 12:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i think the front of the new accord kills it, specifically the grille area where it looks like pieces are missing... looks pretty awful.
Old 05-02-18, 07:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Civic has grown so much in recent years (and the Accord actually shrunk), that, if you look at the two of them side-by-side now, it's difficult to tell the difference, size-wise. I noticed that when I did the mini-review/test-drive of a new Accord several weeks ago.
I dunno about that, if you compare 2018 vs 2018, both new body style Accord and Civic. The Accord looks a lot longer, wider and taller than the Civic IMO. Actually the design of the Accord has kind of grown on me, yes the front end is kind of a mess, but pick a darker color and you don't notice it as much. The rest of the car actually looks pretty cool IMO.

Also I think another factor hurting Accord sales is they price the CR-V right on top of this car. A base model CR-V according to the dealer was 22k, stupid cheap. So its only a $2000 stretch for a CR-V, which is a bit more useful in terms of the shape, cargo room, you can haul big, oddly shaped crap in it.
Old 05-02-18, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I dunno about that, if you compare 2018 vs 2018, both new body style Accord and Civic. The Accord looks a lot longer, wider and taller than the Civic IMO. Actually the design of the Accord has kind of grown on me, yes the front end is kind of a mess, but pick a darker color and you don't notice it as much. The rest of the car actually looks pretty cool IMO.
Yes, on paper, the Accord sedan is still several inches longer than the Civic sedan, but the optical illusion from the way they actually did the body lines gives the impression of the cars being almost twins, length-wise.
Old 05-02-18, 09:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The Accords are massive in interior size - considerably more legroom than Camry - because the single model Accord was designed to take on both Camry & Avalon.