Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda struggles to move the once-hugely-popular Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Honda struggles to move the once-hugely-popular Accord

I remember when the Accord, Camry, and Taurus pretty much ruled the family-sedan market....the three of them regularly played leapfrog, in the American market, for the title of top-selling sedan. Since then, of course, the Taurus has been hugely overshadowed by the also-popular Ford Fusion (it is now mostly a police car), the Camry is still popular but has lost a lot of sales to SUVs, and the Accord?.......well, here's the article, you can read for yourself.

(you may have to click on the link for the video part)

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/12/...rd-slow-sales/

2018 Honda Accord struggles to move units

Widespread accolades, but dealers cite uncompetitive lease terms

SVEN GUSTAFSON
Mar 12th 2018 at 9:20AM
  • subscribe
  • 53comments

The 2018 Honda Accord boasts sleek new fastback styling, improved ride and interior, higher fuel efficiency, and a bevy of awards and plaudits from the automotive press, but the reigning North American Car of the Year is not exactly lighting it up on dealer lots.

In February, sales of the Accord were down 15.8 percent from the year before and 14.7 percent year-to-date. Automotive News reports that inventory levels stood at a 104-day supply — high by dealership standards — and that some dealerships have even begun turning down shipments of the midsize sedan from the factory in Marysville, Ohio. They're blaming a lack of attractive leasing options for consumers.

At $24,460 with shipping, the 2018 Accord is priced higher than its predecessor, meaning higher monthly lease payments for return customers. A standard three-year lease for the base LX trim version brings a monthly $249 payment after plunking down $3,199. By comparison, you can lease a Toyota Camry for just $199 a month in Miami for a similar down payment, or $219 a month in Los Angeles with $1,999 down.
One Detroit-area Honda dealer said the quality of the new Accord doesn't seal the deal with consumers looking to lease for only a few years.

"The quality gap has narrowed between the domestics, Honda and Toyota," the dealer told Automotive News. "When you're buying a car, you have a great story to tell a customer. When you're leasing, they say, 'Well, it has at least three years of warranty on it.' They're just renting it anyway. It is an uphill battle."

The Accord is also competing in a tough segment, as U.S. buyers increasingly shun sedans for larger crossovers, SUVs and pickups.

Now in its 10th generation, the Accord moved from a V6 to two direct-injection, turbocharged four-cylinder engine options, plus a two-mode hybrid system. You can read our First Drive review here.

Related Video:
Old 03-12-18, 04:50 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Looking at that thing, I see exactly the reason why
Old 03-12-18, 04:53 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

This is what I see
Old 03-12-18, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Looking at that thing, I see exactly the reason why
Well, I can't say I totally disagree on the looks, though the front end, even with its missing-bumper look, is probably an improvement on the old parrot-beak.
Old 03-12-18, 05:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Honda is an automotive giant. They will correct this. Price is too high. They will adjust the prices with slightly less content.

Nothing wrong with the design
Old 03-12-18, 05:17 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I see the Accord all over the place here in Miami. I will say though, I see 2 new Camries for every new Accord though.
Old 03-12-18, 05:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The new Accord looks Horrible!
The previous gen was very handsome car especially in Sport trim.

Im sure the car is good and the interior styling/ergonomics all seem very top notch but that exterior ughh.
I was actually sitting behind one in traffic on Sunday and i asked my wife how can someone in their right mind approve this design - the rear of the car is its worst part.
Old 03-12-18, 05:51 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Die hard Honda Accord consumers don’t want turbocharged engine choices. They prefer natural aspiration to turbocharged because they feel they may only get 100k miles before they need to replace the turbo. Toyota has taken a different route with the Camry only offering natural aspiration and a 53mpg hybrid with a full size trunk. Honda consumers have apparently all flocked over to Camry.
Old 03-12-18, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by highrev6
Honda consumers have apparently all flocked over to Camry.
More likely, they have flocked to the Pilot and MDX.
Old 03-12-18, 06:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Honda is an automotive giant. They will correct this. Price is too high. They will adjust the prices with slightly less content.

Nothing wrong with the design
The design is newer and edgier with the unfinished front portion being a turnoff. But you are contradicting what you've previously said about Honda and Toyota; saying that they can demand higher prices because of their brand identity. So now it appears that both Toyota and Honda are in a bit of a competitive market and a shift to CUVs. This car is a step away from its previous versions, which generally favored older drivers who loved smooth 4 cylinder and very smooth 6 cylinders.

If those lease prices for Camry are accurate, then Toyota is also having to do deals to move those cars. A lot of posters here associate styling changes with sales and there's a very good possibility that is true. The Accord was never an edgy sedan and now they've kind of done something really odd with it. They may have to do a restyle quickly.
Old 03-12-18, 06:08 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Not a fan of the new Accord I liked the previous Gen and still do. I see 2 to 3 new Camry's for every new Accord I see. The new Accord should have been more TLX based.
Old 03-12-18, 06:36 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6
Die hard Honda Accord consumers don’t want turbocharged engine choices. They prefer natural aspiration to turbocharged because they feel they may only get 100k miles before they need to replace the turbo. Toyota has taken a different route with the Camry only offering natural aspiration and a 53mpg hybrid with a full size trunk. Honda consumers have apparently all flocked over to Camry.
I am not disputing this but I was just wondering where you heard / saw this claim?

It does seem very logical to me -- buyers of the Accord and Camry have bought them because of their well-earned reputations for reliability, dependability and longevity.
Old 03-12-18, 07:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
buyers of the Accord and Camry have bought them because of their well-earned reputations for reliability, dependability and longevity and conservative and mostly boring looks.
in their efforts to stem the tide turning to cuvs/suvs toyota and honda both have gone to 'look at me!' styling and i think that won't work.
Old 03-12-18, 07:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
But you are contradicting what you've previously said about Honda and Toyota; saying that they can demand higher prices because of their brand identity..
Yes, Toyota and Honda absolutely can demand more money compared to Hyundai or Chevrolet. Both Honda and Toyota however are not infallible.

Sonata starts at $20,050
Malibu starts at $21,680
Camry starts at $23,495
Accord starts at $23,570.

So the price is about $1000-$1500 too high. You are also stuck with a turbo no matter what you Accord you choose.

Guarantee Honda will offer a naturally aspirated I4 very soon. Price will drop a bit too.
Old 03-12-18, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Guarantee Honda will offer a naturally aspirated I4 very soon. Price will drop a bit too.

IMO what the Accord needs is a normally-aspirated V6....what it used to have. But everyone is bending to the CAFE rules nowadays.

Quick Reply: Honda struggles to move the once-hugely-popular Accord