Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CR ranks Genesis brand tops

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 09:53 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default CR ranks Genesis brand tops

Wow. Genesis brand ranks above Audi, BMW, and Lexus. If that wasn't surprising enough, Lexus is behind BMW, according to Consumer Reports, in areas of owner satisfaction and reliability !?!?

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...brand-rankings
Old 02-23-18, 10:06 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Take it with a grain of salt. Genesis barely sells any vehicles compared to Lexus and Audi. So if a few people chimed in to say they had the best experience, it's going to tweak the rankings. I think these things should also be based on amount sold, which says something about people's preferences.
Old 02-24-18, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Take it with a grain of salt.
Well, in this case, that grain of salt may dissolve pretty quickly. Have you gone to a Genesis dealer and looked at or test-driven any?. These cars are built like Swiss Watches....with excellent materials.

If I had chosen a vehicle simply by overall build quality (In my case, there were other factors as well), I would have chosen a G80 over my Lacrosse.
Old 02-24-18, 09:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Take it with a grain of salt. Genesis barely sells any vehicles compared to Lexus and Audi. .
Agreed. CR is mostly full of crap. What I would like them to do is to provide their data so someone who can interrupt it correctly. Claiming that a brand with no actual dealers, and just two models and ranking it higher than an established brand needs to have some sort of statistical significance to back it up. But CR won’t show their data, so we just don’t know.
Old 02-24-18, 09:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Agreed. CR is mostly full of crap. What I would like them to do is to provide their data so someone who can interrupt it correctly
No offense, but accusing CR of being full of four-letter words accomplishes nothing. All you have to do is read. CR explains, in detail, in each auto-buying-guide issue each year, exactly how they do their surveys, how many responses they typically get, how the information is processed into categories, and what the statistics mean. I don't necessarily agree with everything they publish myself.....but they are an organization worthy of respect. That's why they have been around, rating cars, since 1936....more than 80 years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-18 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-24-18, 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Groundhog Day all over again.

Whatever the case, I'm sure that Hyundai and the Genesis division is enjoying the positive press.
Old 02-24-18, 10:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Groundhog Day all over again.

Whatever the case, I'm sure that Hyundai and the Genesis division is enjoying the positive press.
Agreed. However, sales of Hyundai, KIA, and Genesis are all down for the last three years. 13% last year. So we shall see what happens.
Old 02-24-18, 10:14 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No offense, but accusing CR of being full of four-letter words accomplishes nothing. All you have to do is read. CR explains, in detail, in each auto-buying-guide issue each year, exactly how they do their surveys, how many responses they typically get, how the information is processed into categories, and what the statistics mean. I don't necessarily agree with everything they publish myself.....but they are an organization worthy of respect. That's why they have been around, rating cars, since 1936....more than 80 years.
When they go beyond reliability, their methodology becomes questionable. For example, they only tested an IS250 vs an IS350, but they stated that the Lexus IS was inferior to its German counterparts without testing the entire range. The other mags at least segment the cars according to spec and review in that context so I agree with many others that their performance reviews are trash compared to the major mags. It is what it is.
Old 02-24-18, 10:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I recall reading here that after the IS250 test they ssid the 350 was a better car and a better buy.
Old 02-24-18, 10:35 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Well, in this case, that grain of salt may dissolve pretty quickly. Have you gone to a Genesis dealer and looked at or test-driven any?. These cars are built like Swiss Watches....with excellent materials.

If I had chosen a vehicle simply by overall build quality (In my case, there were other factors as well), I would have chosen a G80 over my Lacrosse.
I could go to Switzerland, get some ex Rolex watchmakers who can design the very best watches that can be built, that are luxurious, well designed, bleeding edge tech infused inside of them and put them for sale next to the Rolex....guess what buyers will still buy in mass quantities....

Brand Value is something that still plays a huge role....Cadillac CTS/ATS Lexus IS/GS...its a long upward battle that even established players like Lexus have not been able to crack....and they had a quite a headstart over Genesis the subbrand of a car company which in early 2000s were producing tin cans at basement prices...

Props to Hyundai going after the market, but long way to go before actually being considered anything but an weekend corporate outing. They need to launch their Crossovers ASAP, or they`ll loose out the gravy train which is the current SUV/Xover market
Old 02-24-18, 10:38 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're really not. Genesis cars are built better than Buicks, and Cadillacs, but still below Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW.
Old 02-24-18, 10:45 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Take it with a grain of salt. Genesis barely sells any vehicles compared to Lexus and Audi. So if a few people chimed in to say they had the best experience, it's going to tweak the rankings. I think these things should also be based on amount sold, which says something about people's preferences.
Would it surprise you to find that the G80 outsold the GS in 2017? It also sold within a couple of hundred cars of the Audi A-6 and outsold the CTS and Continental. The G90 outsold both the LS and A8. As a brand, Genesis sold over 18,000 cars in 2017, their first year in operation and without a single SUV/Crossover.
Old 02-24-18, 11:40 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Wow. Genesis brand ranks above Audi, BMW, and Lexus. If that wasn't surprising enough, Lexus is behind BMW, according to Consumer Reports, in areas of owner satisfaction and reliability !?!?

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...brand-rankings
I'll take the brands with better reliability and standard advanced safety features.

"Genesis, with just two models tested by Consumer Reports, had less to get right to place first in the magazine's latest brand rankings, where it excelled in road testing and owner satisfaction scores, and produced average reliability.The magazine said Lexus stood out in the rankings more for its reliability and standard advanced safety features than its road test scores, which often have trailed rivals.Toyota Motor Corp. took four of 10 slots in the magazine's annual ranking of vehicles, the most of any manufacturer, with the Toyota Camry taking the highest honors.Toyota was cited for "impressive reliability and standard automatic emergency braking and forward collision warning," throughout its lineup, the magazine said."
Old 02-24-18, 11:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Good for them!
Old 02-24-18, 01:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
They're really not. Genesis cars are built better than Buicks, and Cadillacs, but still below Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW.
more lolz. on what do you base this?

Quick Reply: CR ranks Genesis brand tops