Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A Buick overload, just for mmarshall

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 08:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default A Buick overload, just for mmarshall

So, we all know who loves Buick on this thread. Couldn’t help but do a thread today from the Buick overload I got from the brand.

1. Buick Enclave Avenir at the auto show was very very nice. After sitting in the Enclave yesterday, you might as well just pay the extra money and get the top level Avenir model over all other models of the same platform.

2. Buick Encore was cute. My friend really really liked it. It was just a really nice size we all agreed.

3. By far, some of the most attention I have seen at the show was for the new Buick Regal GS. Lots of people getting in and out. Overall, interior is just excellent. I do not see why there has been so much criticism about the center speedometer, it was really nciely done. Lots of comments on the seats.

Sadly, there was no Buick Avenir concept or at least I did not see it. There were two Encores, two Enclave Avenirs, and unfortunately your LaCrosse was buried way at the back. There were the Envision models but I did not pay attention to how many there were

The overall impression I had from Buick was very positive. I though Buick did a solid job of separating themselves from other GM products. There theme was dark with purple (I think) and was much different than Chevy, GMC or Cadillac.
A cool thing at the show was the Buick Cafe. You have to go through the cars to get to the cafe. I had a mocha while my friend had an Americano.

Anyway, I took a few pics for you to enjoy.

My day started off interesting as I knew it was gonna be a Buick type of day.
Saw this on my way

Think these belong to a Lucerne.
MFD by Opel.
Sadly the Opel made Regal was not working correctly
Needed service.
The Cafe Buick
My complimentary Mocha being prepared.
Sitting inside the Enclave Avenir

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-21-18 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks. From your notes, the Buick lineup there at Toronto seemed substantially different from that of the D.C. show. Here, Buick didn't even bring a Regal GS or Tour-X Wagon...though they did have two Regal Sportbacks. There were three Lacrosses here, including an Avenir, instead of just one like a Toronto. They also had an Enclave Avenir here...I agree with much (not all) of what Bitkahuna said about it.

On the subject of the Avenir, I knew the Lacrosse Avenir was coming, but it comes with standard firmer-riding 19" wheels, a lot more standard things on it I didn't want (such as a sunroof), and also costs more than I cared to spend. So, I passed.

Did they have the new 2nd-generation Verano there at Toronto? It was pulled from the American market last year...and I didn't see it on the Canadian Buick website this year, either. Also didn't see the Cascade convertible on the Canadian website....was it at the show?

Those portholes are obviously fake....the bozo who mounted them didn't even align them correctly LOL. (I could have done the job for him correctly...I've often put on pinstripes and body-side moldings).

On the misaligned Regal headlight.....that could (?) have come from any one of a number of sources....among them, disabled people at the show accidentally running into it with motorized wheel-chairs. We had a lot of them at the D.C. show.

You didn't post the picture of the interior of the Enclave Avenir like the title suggested.

On the Opel-manufacturing, yes, the current-generation Regal actually comes from the Opel plant at Russelheim, Germany. The Tour-X wagons I recently looked at (I still haven't done the test-drive) have a price-sticker from the Russelheim plant.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-fa...germany-plant/

On the coffee, at the D.C. show here, Ford was way ahead of Buick LOL .....they gave me a instant $10 Starbucks card for the show's quick, short, Ecosport test-drive, and a $50 pre-paid Mastercard registration for the later test-drive I did at the dealership...which I generally use at Starbucks for the French Roast I brew at home.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-21-18 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 08:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No. There was no second generation Verano. No TourX. No Cascada.
Old 02-21-18, 08:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They also had an Enclave Avenir here...I agree with much (not all) of what Bitkahuna said about it.
w?
I don't recall, your comments about it. Did you see it at your show? I think when you see certain cars in context with other cars on the floor, perceptions can change. Mine did at least.

I did like the Enclave a little more as well. Both overall, Buick did a good job.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-21-18 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 09:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't recall, your comments about it. Did you see it at your show? I think when you see certain cars in context with other cars on the floor, perceptions can change. Mine did at least.

Yes....at the show, I spent some time inside the Enclave Avenir. They should have put the tri-color shield in the center of the Avenir wheel, and didn't. It did get, however, the wood steering wheel the Lacrosse Avenir should have gotten, and didn't.....but Buick cost-cut on it by only putting the wood on the center upper-part of the wheel rim, instead of both upper and lower rim like Lexus does. But the Avenir seat-leather does look nice in the brandy color, the unique Avenir-trim grilles are classy, and I liked the "Avenir" badges on both the fenders and seat-upholstery.

But, as nice as the Enclave Avenir was, it was completely overshadowed by the new Lincoln Navigator.....simply no comparison, even adjusting for the price-difference. The Navigator, I think, is going to be a home run. I give the Navigator the Best-in-Show award, with the Lexus LS500 a close runner-up....both drew some of the show's largest crowds around them. Cadillac and Mercedes, oddly, both skipped the show altogether.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-21-18 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 09:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes....at the show, I spent some time inside the Enclave Avenir. It had the wood-rim steering wheel that the Lacrosse Avenir should have gotten and didn't....though, unlike the nice wood Lexus steering wheels, Buick only puts the wood between the upper 10 and 2-o'clock positions...not upper and lower like Lexus does. Yes, simple cost-cutting. They also should have put the tri-color shield in the center of the Avenir wheel, and didn't. But the Avenir seat-leather does look nice in the brandy color, the unique Avenir-trim grilles are classy, and I liked the "Avenir" badges on both the fenders and seat-upholstery.

But, as nice as the Enclave Avenir was, it was completely overshadowed by the new Lincoln Navigator.....simply no comparison, even adjusting for the price-difference. The Navigator, I think, is going to be a home run. I give the Navigator the Best-in-Show award, with the Lexus LS500 a close runner-up....both drew some of the show's largest crowds around them. Cadillac and Mercedes, oddly, both skipped the show altogether.

Honeslty, I don't get too worked up about the wood. Yes a luxury car should have wood that is real, but some fake would is very nice. I think the context of a vehicle makes a difference when you can see it among other brands on display. Regal was a pleasant surprise.
Old 02-22-18, 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Honeslty, I don't get too worked up about the wood. Yes a luxury car should have wood that is real, but some fake would is very nice. I think the context of a vehicle makes a difference when you can see it among other brands on display. Regal was a pleasant surprise.
How about a fake-wood steering wheel rim? I can't recall ever seeing one....unless you put on one of those cheap aftermarket slip-on covers.

I have seen fake-wood spokes, though......Cadillac uses them

The last-generation Chrysler 300 had an interesting turtle-shell pattern on the wheel that (roughly) reminded one of wood.

Old 07-08-19, 02:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thought I would just post this for my friend mmarshall This is one of my favorite cars. I thought I had a Roadmaster thread somewhere, but I guess not.

1.5" hood insulator
Split-back seats (I thought that was really cool)
Quiet package, before they went to quiet tuning
Fiberglass headliner
575 mile range
More than 1 gallon size windshield washer reservoir.

Tips for the test drive:
spouse starts in back
never let the buyer drive first
when buyer drives, move spouse to the front, salesperson sits in the back

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-08-19 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieA6f7DHV54

Thought I would just post this for my friend mmarshall This is one of my favorite cars. I thought I had a Roadmaster thread somewhere, but I guess not.

1.5" hood insulator
Split-back seats (I thought that was really cool)
Quiet package, before they went to quiet tuning
Fiberglass headliner
575 mile range
More than 1 gallon size windshield washer reservoir.

Tips for the test drive:
spouse starts in back
never let the buyer drive first
when buyer drives, move spouse to the front, salesperson sits in the back

Thanks, Jill. I did not own a Roadmaster, but did a test-drive back in the early 1990s. Reminded me of my used 60-vintage Electra 225, which I owned in college....except that the Roadmaster had noticeably cheaper materials and trim, both inside and outside. Both of them, as you would guess, had Magic-Carpet rides, and both of them plowed and rolled on sharp corners like a beach ball...you had to give yourself plenty of room while cornering. That's one reason why I like the present Lacrosse so much...it combines a fair measure (not all) of that old Roadmaster soft ride with respectable (for its class) handling in the corners and better winter traction from the FWD/AWD layout.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-08-19 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 05:05 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 233 Likes on 176 Posts

lol the camry with buick center caps
Old 07-08-19, 05:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, Jill. I did not own a Roadmaster, but did a test-drive back in the early 1990s. Reminded me of my used 60-vintage Electra 225, which I owned in college....except that the Roadmaster had noticeably cheaper materials and trim, both inside and outside. Both of them, as you would guess, had Magic-Carpet rides, and both of them plowed and rolled on sharp corners like a beach ball...you had to give yourself plenty of room while cornering. That's one reason why I like the present Lacrosse so much...it combines a fair measure (not all) of that old Roadmaster soft ride with respectable (for its class) handling in the corners and better winter traction from the FWD/AWD layout.
Did you watch the video? The ride was called Dyna-Ride suspension
Old 07-08-19, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
lol the camry with buick center caps

No Camry ever rode like a Roadmaster.....although the superb 3Gen (1992-96) Camry came closest.
Old 07-08-19, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Did you watch the video? The ride was called Dyna-Ride suspension
Yes, I watched it. I don't remember if the one I test-drove back in the early 1990s had the DR suspension or not. I do remember (very clearly) that it rode like a Magic Carpet and cornered like a steamship.