Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ways to keep mice out of stored vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 09:30 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts
Default ways to keep mice out of stored vehicles

I am only 26 and have only had 6 cars and this is my first year storing a nice car for winter time to not expose it to salt, do any of you more experienced car owners have any tricks or ways to keep mice out of your car. I am using lavender scented dryer sheets and a mouse made a nest right on my new cabin filter so i ordered a new one cleaned up the mess and the mouse came back this morning.

If anyone has any advice please let me know I will be setting up mouse traps tomorow.
Old 01-29-18, 09:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

The only deterant I've had any kind of success with is peppermint oil. They really hate it.

I would put some peppermint oil on a cotton ball and wipe it on the places under-hood that the mouse liked to visit most - engine cover and air filter box. I also found leaving the hood open and the garage lights on helped.

That provided some intermittent success until I finally caught him and found where he was getting into my garage. I was able to patch that up and no others came in.

I caught him in a peanut butter baited electrocution trap. That was the only kind of trap I had any success with.

Good luck. This is a difficult problem to solve.
Old 01-29-18, 10:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,049 Likes on 2,562 Posts

A cat is by far the most effective solution.

Old 01-29-18, 10:25 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
A cat is by far the most effective solution.
agreed... multiple cats are even better.
Old 01-29-18, 10:55 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The only deterant I've had any kind of success with is peppermint oil. They really hate it.

I would put some peppermint oil on a cotton ball and wipe it on the places under-hood that the mouse liked to visit most - engine cover and air filter box. I also found leaving the hood open and the garage lights on helped.

That provided some intermittent success until I finally caught him and found where he was getting into my garage. I was able to patch that up and no others came in.

I caught him in a peanut butter baited electrocution trap. That was the only kind of trap I had any success with.

Peppermint Oil works!
Old 01-29-18, 11:04 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

Really mice don't like peppermint oil smell. Can leave a small open bottle inside the car. Also they don't like Irish Spring Soap bar smell.
slice or shred some and leave it on a small plastic plate on the floor.
Old 01-29-18, 01:48 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This made me think back to HS....we went to my grandmas house in NJ, about 160 miles away...and the car was struggling. It was a 1 y.o. Camry so very odd. My dad dropped it off at the Toyota dealer in Freehold, and they called, we found that your air cleaner box was filled with dog food, do you keep dog food in your garage? Wonder if modern cars still can have this issue? I think so, when I think about the path the air would take in the LS430.....imagine if they could get through the filter, even worse....
Old 01-29-18, 02:18 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This made me think back to HS....we went to my grandmas house in NJ, about 160 miles away...and the car was struggling. It was a 1 y.o. Camry so very odd. My dad dropped it off at the Toyota dealer in Freehold, and they called, we found that your air cleaner box was filled with dog food, do you keep dog food in your garage? Wonder if modern cars still can have this issue? I think so, when I think about the path the air would take in the LS430.....imagine if they could get through the filter, even worse....
In my case squirrels collected so much pine cones to store it under the sound deadening thick fabric attached to underside of the hood of 2008 Acura MDX. That fabric pad fell down due to the weight of cones filling the engine bay. I had to vacuum and blow them all off. Good thing I opened the hood in time to fill up some wind shield washer.
Old 01-29-18, 02:22 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 880 Likes on 663 Posts

Honda markets a rodent deterrent tape that you wrap around the wires to help with this.
Apparently the newer biodegradable insulation is delicious...
Old 01-29-18, 02:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Honda markets a rodent deterrent tape that you wrap around the wires to help with this.
Apparently the newer biodegradable insulation is delicious...
I tried some of the Honda tape when I had my issue. It's very good around the wiring but didn't work for me in trying to keep them out of the rest of the engine bay. I ended up using some of the Honda tape under some house siding where they were getting into the garage and that helped!
Old 01-29-18, 03:01 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

I ordered peppermint oil and a new filter plan is to put peppermint oil drops on the new filter clean out the old housing and such with rubbing alcohol then blast the heat for 10-20 mins with new peppermint oil filter installed and hopefully that works i will post on next friday if its had any success i p ut a bar of irish spring in the glove box next to the filter housing open so we will see what happens
Old 01-29-18, 05:41 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here you go: https://www.extremevehicleprotection.com
Old 01-29-18, 05:53 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BoDarville
I honestly thought that link was gonna take me to a page with an ar-15 or something along those lines haha
Old 01-29-18, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree with Lexus2000 that a cat may be one of your most effective options, though owning a cat requires daily care/expense, they often can't stay out in very cold weather, and some people simply can't be around them because of allergies.

Old 01-29-18, 06:33 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Where do you buy peppermint oil ?

I gave a few stored vehicles and would like to try

Quick Reply: ways to keep mice out of stored vehicles