Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you like how new Toyota grilles/front ends look?
Yes, I LOVE it!
18.75%
No, I HATE it!
43.75%
I am impartial. They look okay.
17.19%
Mixed feelings, some love, some hate, some no care
20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you like the new look of Toyotas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 06:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The difference is Jill, is that Toyota is STILL a mixed bag of designs. Unlike Audi or VW that have similar design language carried out throughout the entire vehicle (inside and outside), the only thing these new Lexus or Toyotas are sharing between different models are the ugly front ends.

A BMW and Porsche have recognizable styling front to back without a doubt what that car is. Toyota does not.
is that a good thing, what if you dont like their design, you wont buy any of their vehicles then?

I think it is a good thing that they are able to cater different vehicles to different demographics. Buyer for Yaris and buyer for Avalon is not the same.
Old 01-17-18, 06:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
is that a good thing, what if you dont like their design, you wont buy any of their vehicles then?

I think it is a good thing that they are able to cater different vehicles to different demographics. Buyer for Yaris and buyer for Avalon is not the same.
If you don’t like the BMW design you go somewhere else. Not everyone likes the Toyota brand either. Or Honda or GM or what ever.
Old 01-17-18, 06:20 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To add to that, I feel like the external styling has to, at least to a point, compliment the character of the car.
Toyota is one of the most bland and boring cars you can buy. Their bread and butter cars literally suck the soul out of you they are so uninteresting to drive. The thought of being behind one of their 4cylinder models literally makes me want to puke.

So my big question is, why are they styling these boring and weak-sauce vehicles SO aggressively? It makes no sense.

Who are they really fooling that these cars are "sporty" etc, by slapping on these obnoxious front ends and bodykits, while still sporting puny brakes, 195 series tires, and 170hp 4cyl motors that have been used since 1994 (obviously I am joking here, but you get the point, these have "no *****").
Well that's a little too way over the top saying bland, boring or soul sucking. The other guys aren't any better in the mass market (except for VW). People don't buy for excitement, they buy for other reasons. The new Camry is getting good reviews and despite some minor styling quirks, is a good looking sedan. The Avalon, well you have to see that thread about what I say about it.

I'm not questioning why Toyota wants to rejuvinate its style and performance, but right now they've gone a little too over the edge in doing it. Eg. they've got the Supra coming up and that's going to add some excitement and buzz. They have the Toyota 86 platform. You can get the oddly styled LS with its much sportier handling, and the LC. So it's not all soul sucking or bland. I just think they should focus, instead of doing it up and down the entire line.
Old 01-17-18, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Respectfully, you seem to be very pre occupied in making sure people hear anti-Toyota views when you comment. Nothing wrong with that, but it does show. It is sometimes hard to discuss things with you openingly. But it is all good. Toyota is not perfect, so they do have issues. But evil suggests that Toyota and Honda are far more valuable to consumers than their immediate competition.

I've owned two Toyota products and one Lexus in my lifetime....and, in retrospect, am not sorry for buying any of those three. I'm objective, and will purchase or praise any brand if I think they deserve it. I'll also mention problems even with brands I like if I think it is merited. For example, I liked Buicks and Oldsmobiles when I was young, but avoided them for almost 40 years after the quality tanked in the early 1970s (as it did wth most American cars). Only with the 2012 Verano, IMO, did the build-quality start to come back....thanks to Opel.

As far as Toyotas not being perfect, NO vehicle is. Why do you think that I (or any responsible reviewer) will make a list of plusses and minuses for a review? Because all vehicles have strengths and weaknesses, even accounting for varying opinions and views on the part of the reviewers. That's why Alex Dykes, in his reviews, does such a good job....he takes a long time and discusses everything, not just HP/torque, 0-60/quarter-mile times, skidpad figures, panic-stop distances, or how quick the steering is.
Old 01-17-18, 06:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Well that's a little too way over the top saying bland, boring or soul sucking. The other guys aren't any better in the mass market (except for VW). People don't buy for excitement, they buy for other reasons. The new Camry is getting good reviews and despite some minor styling quirks, is a good looking sedan. The Avalon, well you have to see that thread about what I say about it.

I'm not questioning why Toyota wants to rejuvinate its style and performance, but right now they've gone a little too over the edge in doing it. Eg. they've got the Supra coming up and that's going to add some excitement and buzz. They have the Toyota 86 platform. You can get the oddly styled LS with its much sportier handling, and the LC. So it's not all soul sucking or bland. I just think they should focus, instead of doing it up and down the entire line.
Toyota86 platform is a flop.
Old 01-17-18, 06:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

If you don’t like the BMW design you go somewhere else. Not everyone likes the Toyota brand either. Or Honda or GM or what ever.
Sure, but I can see people that like C-HR dont like the Rav4... by not doing exactly the same design inside and out, they can cater to different kinds of buyers.
Old 01-17-18, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, both the 86 and Subaru BR-Z, its Subaru twin, don't seem to have any trouble keeping their heads above water in the market place. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any immediate plans to drop either one in the U.S. or Canadian markets. And the only reason, of course, that the Scion version isn't selling is the demise of the Scion nameplate itself.

BTW......since you complain that I'm not objective enough, I will say that the 86 has a much better looking front end than most other Toyotas.....it doesn't remind one of a bulldog like several others do. Of course, being a sports car (or, rather, sports-coupe), it is not in the same general category, either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-18 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 06:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,300 Posts

Nope. The car was never meant to sell in large numbers it's a niche car. It sells in about the same numbers as the Miata.
Old 01-17-18, 07:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I like some but not others. Love the new Camry but not so much the Avalon. Meh on the Corolla and Yaris but like the Highlander and RAV4. Would love to buy a new Tacoma.

Can’t really answer the poll as there is no choice for “like some but not others”.

Old 01-17-18, 07:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,300 Posts

Poll needs more options.
Old 01-17-18, 07:21 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I like some but not others. Love the new Camry but not so much the Avalon. Meh on the Corolla and Yaris but like the Highlander and RAV4. Would love to buy a new Tacoma.

Can’t really answer the poll as there is no choice for “like some but not others”.

I get what you're saying, but the poll is directed at the "new" face of Toyota. In other words, the hideous faces of the new Camry and Avalon and the possibility of Toyota slapping on similar faces when they update the other models.
This thread is not talking about the 4Runner/Land/Cruiser/Sienna or the other somewhat normal looking models.
Old 01-17-18, 07:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Okay, so I like the “hideous face” of the Camry but not the Avalon. How should I answer your poll?
Old 01-17-18, 07:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I get what you're saying, but the poll is directed at the "new" face of Toyota. In other words, the hideous faces of the new Camry and Avalon and the possibility of Toyota slapping on similar faces when they update the other models.
This thread is not talking about the 4Runner/Land/Cruiser/Sienna or the other somewhat normal looking models.
doesnt 4Runner have big grille too?

Old 01-17-18, 07:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Okay, so I like the “hideous face” of the Camry but not the Avalon. How should I answer your poll?
Don't answer it
Old 01-17-18, 08:02 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
doesnt 4Runner have big grille too?
Not as big as the Estima:

Quick Reply: Poll: Do you like the new look of Toyotas?