Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you like how new Toyota grilles/front ends look?
Yes, I LOVE it!
18.75%
No, I HATE it!
43.75%
I am impartial. They look okay.
17.19%
Mixed feelings, some love, some hate, some no care
20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you like the new look of Toyotas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 05:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Poll: Do you like the new look of Toyotas?

Simple question.

I want to see how many people actually like the new style direction Toyota is headed with these crazy obnoxious front grilles on cars like the new Camry and more recently, the new Avalon which looks like a catastrophe.
Old 01-17-18, 05:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I really like the direction Toyota is going.
Old 01-17-18, 05:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I really like the direction Toyota is going.
Based on the poll results so far.... you're definitely a minority Jill haha.
Old 01-17-18, 05:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Based on the poll results so far.... you're definitely a minority Jill haha.
That’s ok. I have always been a bigger fan of Toyota branded vehicles than I have Lexus. Have had a few Lexus models over the years but more Toyota’s models 3:1 over my life time. I really like Toyota.
Old 01-17-18, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This might get me some flak in a heavily Toyota/Lexus forum (wouldn't be the first time LOL), but to be honest, I think most of the new Toyota grilles (and the Lexus spindle-grilles) s**k. Nor do I think much of the way the interiors have been for some years now, and the quality of the materials used (Jill....you'll like the fact that the Corolla interior, at least from the last time I reviewed one, seems to use better materials than on some more expensive Toyotas).

However, I DO respect the way Toyota does engines and transmissions. Although on rare occasions, problems can show up, like the 3.0L V6 sludge/gel issue and the defective 2006 Camry V6 automatic transmissions, most of the time, it's a pretty safe bet that Toyota/Lexus drivetrains will last 200K miles or more with reasonable care and common-sense driving. I've seen a few (mostly in the trucks) go 300K.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-18 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 05:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Based solely on design, Toyota's are a mixed bag for me.

Yes Yaris
No Yaris iA
Yes Corolla
Yes Corolla iM
Yes Camry
No Avalon
No 86
No Sienna
No Tacoma
No Tundra
Yes C-HR
Yes RAV4
Yes Highlander
No 4Runner
No Sequoia
No Land Cruiser
No Prius
Yes Prius Prime
No Prius C
Yes Mirai
Yes 2019 Avalon (non touring)
Old 01-17-18, 05:22 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Based solely on design, Toyota's are a mixed bag for me.

Yes Yaris
No Yaris iA
Yes Corolla
Yes Corolla iM
Yes Camry
No Avalon
No 86
No Sienna
No Tacoma
No Tundra
Yes C-HR
Yes RAV4
Yes Highlander
No 4Runner
No Sequoia
No Land Cruiser
No Prius
Yes Prius Prime
No Prius C
Yes Mirai
Yes 2019 Avalon (non touring)
You bring up a good point. Their lineup is very diverse and alot of the designs are very individual unlike other brands (you know an Audi, VW, Mercedes, BMW no matter what model) whereas Toyota is a mixed bag of completely different designs.

Seems like all the new models are starting to carry this disgusting ugly front ends which is sad. I hope they do not make every new model look like this.
Old 01-17-18, 05:27 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A big no for me. Toyota is a good company and trusted by its customers for many reasons, but if they think this short term styling is going to get them somewhere, they'll have to learn that you always style for the long term to establish an identity. If you don't, you'll end up hopping from one wild trend to another trying to keep up. Some Toyota/Lexus models do good with the edgy looks, but not too many of them.
Old 01-17-18, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You bring up a good point. Their lineup is very diverse and alot of the designs are very individual unlike other brands (you know an Audi, VW, Mercedes, BMW no matter what model) whereas Toyota is a mixed bag of completely different designs.

Seems like all the new models are starting to carry this disgusting ugly front ends which is sad. I hope they do not make every new model look like this.
The notion that you seem to be so offended by the new Toyota front ends reinforces the notion that the front ends are working as intended. So you don’t like it? That is fine. But you seem to very interested in everyone’s opinion by even going so far as to start a thread and poll.
Old 01-17-18, 05:47 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
A big no for me. Toyota is a good company and trusted by its customers for many reasons, but if they think this short term styling is going to get them somewhere, they'll have to learn that you always style for the long term to establish an identity. If you don't, you'll end up hopping from one wild trend to another trying to keep up. Some Toyota/Lexus models do good with the edgy looks, but not too many of them.
To add to that, I feel like the external styling has to, at least to a point, compliment the character of the car.
Toyota is one of the most bland and boring cars you can buy. Their bread and butter cars literally suck the soul out of you they are so uninteresting to drive. The thought of being behind one of their 4cylinder models literally makes me want to puke.

So my big question is, why are they styling these boring and weak-sauce vehicles SO aggressively? It makes no sense.

Who are they really fooling that these cars are "sporty" etc, by slapping on these obnoxious front ends and bodykits, while still sporting puny brakes, 195 series tires, and 170hp 4cyl motors that have been used since 1994 (obviously I am joking here, but you get the point, these have "no *****").

Last edited by 97-SC300; 01-17-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 05:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The notion that you seem to be so offended by the new Toyota front ends reinforces the notion that the front ends are working as intended. So you don’t like it? That is fine. But you seem to very interested in everyone’s opinion by even going so far as to start a thread and poll.
The difference is Jill, is that Toyota is STILL a mixed bag of designs. Unlike Audi or VW that have similar design language carried out throughout the entire vehicle (inside and outside), the only thing these new Lexus or Toyotas are sharing between different models are the ugly front ends.

A BMW and Porsche have recognizable styling front to back without a doubt what that car is. Toyota does not.
Old 01-17-18, 05:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This might get me some flak in a heavily Toyota/Lexus forum (wouldn't be the first time LOL), but to be honest, I think most of the new Toyota grilles (and the Lexus spindle-grilles) s**k. Nor do I think much of the way the interiors have been for some years now, and the quality of the materials used (Jill....you'll like the fact that the Corolla interior, at least from the last time I reviewed one, seems to use better materials than on some more expensive Toyotas).

However, I DO respect the way Toyota does engines and transmissions. Although on rare occasions, problems can show up, like the 3.0L V6 sludge/gel issue and the defective 2006 Camry V6 automatic transmissions, most of the time, it's a pretty safe bet that Toyota/Lexus drivetrains will last 200K miles or more with reasonable care and common-sense driving. I've seen a few (mostly in the trucks) go 300K.
Respectfully, you seem to be very pre occupied in making sure people hear anti-Toyota views when you comment. Nothing wrong with that, but it does show. It is sometimes hard to discuss things with you openingly. But it is all good. Toyota is not perfect, so they do have issues. But evil suggests that Toyota and Honda are far more valuable to consumers than their immediate competition.
Old 01-17-18, 05:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The difference is Jill, is that Toyota is STILL a mixed bag of designs. Unlike Audi or VW that have similar design language carried out throughout the entire vehicle (inside and outside), the only thing these new Lexus or Toyotas are sharing between different models are the ugly front ends.

A BMW and Porsche have recognizable styling front to back without a doubt what that car is. Toyota does not.
That is the whole point. Each Toyota model is a model within the brand. This is how a full scale manufacturer works. Just like Chevrolet or Ford. Not the same for Lexus but it used to be similar to Toyota but they changed. It is all part of the marketing strategy and each brand promotes a specific lifestyle.When you buy a Lexus, you buy a Lexus compared to Toyota you buy a Corolla or a 4Runner which are in their own way a brand within the brand.
Old 01-17-18, 06:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
I get what you're saying, but just to play devils advocate. People appear to be leasing vehicles more and more these days. Cars are becoming techie appliances equivalent to say a smartphone. People like 'new' tech. Those big cell carriers often have 'leasing' plans on phones now, and you turn it in and get the latest and greatest so to speak much like a car lease. Apple iPhone is a good example and similar to Toyota in some light. Strong sales are usually attributed to it's laurels and simply the image/badge. The iPhone like Toyota's have serious competition, much that usually one-ups it like a better camera or quicker to adapt features. Toyota design has always been consistent with the decade vs other makes, but the styling of the models has always been different among their own models vs that established identity like say a BMW which you know is a BMW. 97-SC300 makes a point:

Maybe that's Toyota's 'thing' and makes it a Toyota
Old 01-17-18, 06:06 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The shape, lights and other design elements of the new Toyotas are great. The fronts are bad, notably the grill (obvious) and how much that grill protrudes out the front. Too much.

Needs a smaller, more symmetrical, cleaner grill and cut off about two to three inches from the front.

Quick Reply: Poll: Do you like the new look of Toyotas?