Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Manufacturers Buyback Title...should I?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 03:30 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manufacturers Buyback Title...should I?

Hey guys so up until this point I've never really heard of a manufacturers buyback title. I am looking at buying a 2017 vehicle with 10k miles on it with a title like this. The dealership its at let me know up front and the sales person told me it was like that because of some sort of faulty trunk motor mechanism or something. Now my question is would the manufacturer really buy a car back for something that sounds so minor? Also do i have a way of finding out that was indeed the reason for the buyback and not some other kind of major defect? Would it be noted on the title and also would such notation hurt resale value? Let me know what you guys think!
Old 01-07-18, 06:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't have an issue buying it as long as the price is right. I would ask to look at the service records as well tho to see exactly what they reflect to verify the issue(s) was fixed. Its going to reflect the buyback on CARFAX, so resale will be effected so get a great deal when you buy it!
Old 01-07-18, 07:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If you plan to trade it in a year or two or three, I wouldn't do it. Its going to be hard to unload, dealers are either going to **** you on the price or not take it on trade due to the title.

If you plan to keep it 5+ years and put some miles on it, then it would be worth it IMO if you got a smoking deal. The 2nd owner isn't going to be as picky at that price point and with the age/miles on the car about the title issue.
Old 01-07-18, 07:17 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

A few years back, we got a new 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium with all the latest tech Ford offered at the time. I had it for a total of 11 months before Ford bought it back. It spent an accumulated 4 months at multiple Ford dealerships.

The official reason it was purchased back was due to a malfunctioning self parking system. That's what was stated on the paperwork. However, the faulty self parking system was just one of the many electrical issues that vehicle was plagued with. Every day was a surprise. I'd walk up to the car and only the passenger side taillight would illuminate or I'd get in after work and notice my turn signals and none of the controls on the steering wheel were functioning, including the windshield wiper controls. But again, on the surface, the only thing "wrong" with the car and the only reason it was bought back was the self-parking system.

Food for thought. Hope I made my point clear enough. Good luck should you go down that route.
Old 01-08-18, 07:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Is that what they're doing with the football field of VWs near me? Always wondered how come they haven't been crushed, they've been sitting for at least 2 years.
Old 01-08-18, 01:27 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha good points gentlemen! The price is maybe like $5k less than a regular title car but it is the fully loaded model with all bells and whistles which really made me consider it.
Old 01-08-18, 01:43 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

It was bought back under the lemon law for a reason, it's a lemon. There's always a chance of getting one. Why buy one that is guaranteed to be a lemon.
Manufacturers fight tooth and nail not to buy back their lemons. That's why lemon laws were passed, to force them too.

Last edited by Coleroad; 01-08-18 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 04:27 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Run away! You will never be able to resell the car unless you give the next buyer (or dealer if trading it in) a smoking deal. A $5k difference like you are saying is negligible IMO. You could probably negotiate close to that off one with a clear title. Another forum member recently posted about their NX having electrical gremlins and Lexus refused to buy the vehicle back, so if this is a Lexus you're looking at, it doesn't sound like they would buy the vehicle back for something as minor as a trunk mechanism malfunction.
Old 01-08-18, 06:17 PM
want2race
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would only buy one of the manufacturer offered an extended warranty and you intended to drive it till the wheels fall off
Old 01-08-18, 07:18 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

a lemon buyback is not necessarily a lemon in the strictest sense.
A lemon is supposed to suffer from something that severely impairs its function.

Lexus bought back my new 2007 ES the same year because they couldn't fix an annoying loud rattle grinding noise in the back window area. No one could figure it out.
So as soon as my 4th dealer visit was up, I contacted an attorney to handle the lemon buyback.
The car was mechanically and electrically fine, but it was not worth Lexus' time to fight me, so they took it back... cuz the customer is usually always right.
Again, not a lemon by strict definition. But I played the lemon game because the defect was a nuisance, and my time was valuable.

bish loud enough, and the manufacturer will take back the car. In this case, the car might be worth a big discount if you don't mind rattles.
Old 01-09-18, 12:01 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Similar experience here, my 06 gs300 was the 1st year of the 3gs. It had hard to locate windshiled rattles and after 40 total days in the shop, over several visits, I called lexus corporate and they bought the car back, no attorney needed to be called.
Old 01-09-18, 05:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I can't imagine someone buying my sis in-law's diesel Passat for $5k or even $10k less than wholesale. The radiator exploded at 700 miles, and there was a question if it was covered under warranty. Then, the entire left side headlight went out, and they were told it was not covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. My brother said never a VW again. Then wouldn't you know, a class action so it was covered. Who would want to inherit these problems?