Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2003 Infiniti G35 w/ 155k miles... would you buy it??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 11:03 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2003 Infiniti G35 w/ 155k miles... would you buy it??

Hey all -

I had a car offered to me for $10,900. I'm thinking about buying it for my lil bro. It has 155k on the clock and the rear bumper has been repainted due to it being hit in the back. You can't really tell in the pics but I was able to see it with my discerning eyes in person. Also, the trunk lid is a little crooked but I think it can be adjusted...

It can right?

Would you guys buy it if everything checked out ok?

KBB Private Party: $13,300.

Old 11-30-06, 11:44 PM
ic144
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

155K miles in 3 years?

What did the previous owner do with this car?

Run a taxi service?
Old 11-30-06, 11:54 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the trunk lid crooked from being hit from behind? Does the car have a clean title?
Old 12-01-06, 12:03 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

clean title - trunk lid is from being rear ended...

so the salesman says...

"It belonged to a traveling sales rep that had a very large sales area. It has been very well maintained and it in excellent condition. It looks and drives like it only has 30,000 miles."

I drove the car and yeah- it pulls strong. the car hasn't been modded at all. i tried checking the fenders and the doors- no vin stickers... are there vin stickers supposed to be there?
Old 12-01-06, 12:22 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if your seriously considering buying this car then id STRONGLY advise you to take it to your local infiniti dealership and have them do a pre-buy inspection. theyl check all the VIN locations (most of the time, if not just ask them to do it) and thoroughly check out all the cars mechanicals.

cost ranges between $80-200 depending on whether you have it done in a nissan or infiniti dealership and if you have them pull the diagnostic codes.
Old 12-01-06, 05:18 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Heck no, I wouldn't buy a car that has been in an accident and isn't repaired 'like new'. Plus the fact that that's a lot of miles on any car, let someone else worry about this car.
Old 12-01-06, 05:46 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Well, the accident thing is a little worrisome. The mileage doesn't have to be provided you have all the records. My '03 G35 will have ~140k km on it when I trade it in in December; I drive it for work and it's in perfect shape so it'll be a bargain for the person that buys it. So in the end it comes down to the car - as PureDrifter mentioned I would take it in for 3rd party a pre-buy inspection.
Old 12-01-06, 06:23 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cliffud
clean title - trunk lid is from being rear ended...

so the salesman says...

"It belonged to a traveling sales rep that had a very large sales area. It has been very well maintained and it in excellent condition. It looks and drives like it only has 30,000 miles."

I drove the car and yeah- it pulls strong. the car hasn't been modded at all. i tried checking the fenders and the doors- no vin stickers... are there vin stickers supposed to be there?
Yes, both my 04 and 05 G35 had Vin stickers on ever panel. So it should have them. If it doesn't that means those parts were replaced.
Old 12-01-06, 08:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

My guess is the car was in a MAJOR wreck. Why else is it $2400 below book value?
Old 12-01-06, 08:22 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I'd stay away! high mileage and had been in a wreck doesnt appeal me too much.
Old 12-01-06, 08:22 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Bit - I thought so too but I checked my old autotraders (because I buy them religiously- doesn't everybody?) and the car was actually listed for 14k, then 13k, then 12k, and now $10,900...

Also - G35TX - as crazy as this sounds, I don't think the 2003 models had the vin numbers on the fenders or doors. I checked thoroughly on eBay and all the 2003 models I saw didn't have vin numbers on the fenders but the newer ones did...

Sounds like someone at Nissan said "oops!".

Anyway, I'd like to hear more thoughts on the car... perhaps someone has had experience with a high mileage G35?

Thanks all for all of your comments thus far...
Old 12-01-06, 08:29 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mileage and the wreck combined are the reason for the price cut, I am also willing to bet you are in a very competitive market, where most people say, "No way I'm buying it after being in an accident"--

It doesn't take much of an accident to need a new bumper cover-- and sheet metal can be adjusted--

The VQ35DE is a SOLID motor-- much like a 1uz in terms of reliability, they last way longer than they should-- A buddy at the Nissan dealership had a 95' maxima with 350,000 miles he drove daily 30 miles one way to work-- The motor runs perfect and never needs a timing chain replacement-- Not to mention they will flat haul a$$ for a family car--

That's a steal-- I'd go with what PureDrifter said, and make sure they put it on the alignment rack -- if it checks out, I'd get it, even if it had bad bushings,

Hell, I'd probably buy it wrecked for that price if it was clean enough other than the damage.. It's just sheet metal--
Old 12-01-06, 10:32 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

That '03 G35 does not look like a worthy purchase to me. With that many miles, a rear-end accident history and missing VIN stickers on the doors and fenders, those would be good reasons for me to want out of this deal.

For your reference, I have a '03 G35 sedan w/ 44K miles. I bought it for $18K when it was at 40,290 miles, and the KBB value at that time was around $21K. It has never been into an accident, has a clean title and record, all maintenance done at the dealer, and I saved myself $3,000 from the KBB value. Best purchase ever made
Old 12-01-06, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm basically with most of the other posters on this one. Clean title or not.....( and unless the salesman or buisness manager at the dealership can PRODUCE the clean title, I'd take their word with a grain of salt ) this car looks like at least a fairly risky buy. Being a unibody car, as most are nowadays, impacts tend to telegraph though the structure.....and unless it was a minor one ( which you don't know ), the unibody structure itself can bend and deform, necessatating proper repairs on what is called a frame-rail machine. If this has not been done, and the frame WAS bent, then the tires will not wear evenly no matter how they align them, and the steering, tracking, and brakes may pull to one side.

Here are some signs to watch for: Are there any new wheels or tires on the car? This is sometimes done by unscrupulous sellers to try and hide tire problems. Does the paint color on all the body panels....( and particularly the trunk in this case ).....match properly?..... ( though it is normal for the paint on the hood to fade first......from engine heat and sunlight). Are there pinstripes? Do they match all the way front to rear and side to side? That is another sign of body and paint work.
Does the paint texture match on all the body panels....for instance, do you notice more orange peel or waviness on one panel than the one next to it?

I'm not saying that the people selling this car are crooks, but there are certainly enough of them in the used-car buisness, and I've run across a few myself.
Though of course I can't give you a sure recommendation without seeing and inspecting, the car, I probably would not buy it myself, based on the condition and price you mention. With 150,000 miles and a possible acccident, this car probably doesn't have a whole lot of useful and trouble-free life left.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-06 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-01-06, 11:00 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

LexusK8 - does your 03 G35 have vin numbers on the doors and fenders?

Quick Reply: 2003 Infiniti G35 w/ 155k miles... would you buy it??